The Student Room Group

Personal bank loan to pay off student debt?

Hey, I'm almost certain that i want to drop out of uni in the next week or so but im liable to pay my accommodation rent for the whole year unless I find a replacement which im struggling with. My parents are my guarantors and i dont want to see them pay 3.5k for my decision so I was wondering if i could apply for personal bank loan to pay rent. But im unsure if the bank would accept my application due to the circumstances and the fact that I am 18. Thoughts, advice and suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated.
Original post by Mark_777
Hey, I'm almost certain that i want to drop out of uni in the next week or so but im liable to pay my accommodation rent for the whole year unless I find a replacement which im struggling with. My parents are my guarantors and i dont want to see them pay 3.5k for my decision so I was wondering if i could apply for personal bank loan to pay rent. But im unsure if the bank would accept my application due to the circumstances and the fact that I am 18. Thoughts, advice and suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated.

What did accommodation say?
Have you looked to find someone yet?
How long have you been searching? Would that be 0 weeks?

Why should a bank lend you money?
Do you have a job?
How would you pay the loan off?
Have you talked to a student advisor?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What did accommodation say?
Have you looked to find someone yet?
How long have you been searching? Would that be 0 weeks?

Why should a bank lend you money?
Do you have a job?
How would you pay the loan off?
Have you talked to a student advisor?

The accommodation said im liable to pay the whole rent unless i find a replacement. Ive posted ads on 3 websites but havent received any interest. I dont have a job atm (been rejected couple times) but i would definitely be looking my hardest to get a job if i received a bank loan. I dont know what to do anymore.
The accommodation said im liable to pay the whole rent unless i find a replacement. Ive posted ads on 3 websites but havent received any interest. I dont have a job atm (been rejected couple times) but i would definitely be looking my hardest to get a job if i received a bank loan. I dont know what to do anymore.

Talk to a student advisor @SU.

They will have dealt with this before.

Talk to your parents, do they know?

I dont believe the bank will lend you the money. No credit history, no means of paying off.

Do your parents have the money? perhaps they cna reach an agreement with the Uni about instalments. One thing you might consider is an incetive for someone to take the accommodation. Maybe 2-6 weeks rent paid by you? That might attract someone and obviously lower the amount your parents become liable for considerably. It will happen every year, so go and get advice.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to a student advisor @SU.

They will have dealt with this before.

Talk to your parents, do they know?

I dont believe the bank will lend you the money. No credit history, no means of paying off.

Do your parents have the money? perhaps they cna reach an agreement with the Uni about instalments. One thing you might consider is an incetive for someone to take the accommodation. Maybe 2-6 weeks rent paid by you? That might attract someone and obviously lower the amount your parents become liable for considerably. It will happen every year, so go and get advice.

No my parents dont know yet, they know that i want to drop out but not about being liable to pay rent for the whole year. I will visit the Student union tomorrow, thanks for the advice.
No my parents dont know yet, they know that i want to drop out but not about being liable to pay rent for the whole year. I will visit the Student union tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

How cna they not know. They signed up as guarantors.
Original post by Bonnybooboo
No a bank won't loan you without having a job even then 3.5k is to much for a first loan. Also I agree with the op try an incentive to take the accommodation 4 weeks paid. But first talk to student support if they don't help citezins advice are worth a try to find out your rights and financial help too.

Hope this helps, good luck.

This was from 4 years ago...