The Student Room Group

English Language with creative writing or English Language degree?

I'm applying for uni soon and I still can't decide if I want to do a joint honours, English language with creative writing or English Language and Linguistics. I know that some of the courses for English Language and Linguistics accept personal statements mention creative writing but I still can't decide. I have more choice as to where to go just studying English Language and Linguistics, but I also want to be a publisher when I'm older and have a creative sort of job. Can I still do this with an English Language and Linguistics degree?

Please Help!!!!
If you know what you want to do in the future why not look up what those jobs require and go from there? My understanding is that something like creative writing can be developed through experience so you may be better off doing the linguistics degree. Have a look at course structures to work out which course interests you more.
Original post by audreyanjy
I'm applying for uni soon and I still can't decide if I want to do a joint honours, English language with creative writing or English Language and Linguistics. I know that some of the courses for English Language and Linguistics accept personal statements mention creative writing but I still can't decide. I have more choice as to where to go just studying English Language and Linguistics, but I also want to be a publisher when I'm older and have a creative sort of job. Can I still do this with an English Language and Linguistics degree?

Please Help!!!!

I would suggest you drop the Creative Writing and just stick to the Linguistics as it's more appropriate. Creative Writing doesn't necessarily give you the skills to recognise it in itself, but only helps you to be a better storyteller. If you want to get into publishing (which is really competitive nowadays), then I say go with linguistics. More so because you can go into all sorts; editorial, copy editing, design and marketing etc etc. I think it will be more open to you if you did linguistics. I don't regret my degree, but it would of been helpful if I picked up language electives during my 1st year.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending