The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme 2016/17

Not sure if a thread has already been started but thought as applications have now opened I would!
Is anybody else thinking of applying? What kind of GCSE grades did you get? How much research have you done previous to this?

If anybody has been through Sutton Trust then any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lillywhale
Not sure if a thread has already been started but thought as applications have now opened I would!
Is anybody else thinking of applying? What kind of GCSE grades did you get? How much research have you done previous to this?

If anybody has been through Sutton Trust then any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there, I'm a member of cohort 5 and am currently in the process of applying to the States.

First off, this is the most amazing thing you will EVER do - APPLY!! Even if you're not 100% about studying in the States, the programmes is a great way to learn more about the many opportunities available to you.

Application wise, I took Scottish National 5's and got the grades looked for by the programme. If you did well in your GCSE's then great, if you didn't get all A's don't let this put you off! It's a holistic process, the Sutton Trust put everything into context and evaluate your application as a whole. So don't stress!

I was always extremely interested in going to the US, however never discovered the programme until a few nights before the deadline. It's important to show your passion within the application, but don't worry if you aren't a US college admissions whiz just yet - that's what the programme is for!

If anyone has any more questions, I would be really happy to answer them!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Your grades are all in relation to the context of your school, but I would say that you would need to be at the top end of your year group for definite. But remember that it isn't all about grades, which is one of the best things about the Sutton Trust Selection process and indeed, the admissions process for America. It is about you as a whole person, therefore so many aspects will come into consideration. As stated above, do as much research as you can between now and the deadline, but definitely still apply. There's nothing to lose, yet there's an amazing reward at the end of it! Best of luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi I'm Joshua and I'm from Northern Ireland , I'm a part of cohort 5 of the programme and as of right now I'm waiting to find out my admissions decision from my early university choice!

I can only really echo what the other two have said in this forum. In my opinion even if you're remotely interested in studying in America for 4 years you've got to give it a shot because the reward is truly life changing!

Grades wise you've got to be one of the best in your year academically, from my memory you need 8 A's at GCSE level, but if you're just short you can still apply! I can assure you that the Sutton Trust team will look at every part of your application (not just your grades), so it's important to take your time to do every section of the application to the best of your ability.

Also nobody is asking for you to decide right now whether studying in America is the right option for you, that's what the programme is for! But I can assure you that if you do get onto the programme and decide to apply to the states then you will know all the ins and outs of the US admissions process through several exciting visits to London and a action packed week across the pond.

The fact that you even know about the programme right now and are considering applying gives you a great head start on other applicants, so my advice would be to take the bull by the horns and get started. Also don't underestimate the power of the video interview! This is a chance for you to bring your application to life and show whoever is reading your application who you are and how much the programme excites you!

I wish everyone who applies the best of luck 🍀 and if you have any questions be sure to use this forum or if you guys want you could email me at:
Those of you who are currently on the programme, where have you applied to in the US? Is the financial aid offered enough to make Uni Cheaper in the US? and are you also applying to uni's in the UK?
I applied early decision to Hamilton College, which is a small liberal arts college in upstate NY. I will find out my admissions decision in the coming weeks, but if I don't get admitted I can still apply to several universities in the Regular admissions round, but the competition in this round is more competitive. Don't worry about all of the jargon if you get onto the programme it will all become second nature to you! My studies would be funded by the institution's financial aid budget which should cover most, if not all, of my tuition, room, board, and food. This should make studying in the states cheaper for me than studying in the UK of everything works out. However, I'm haven't received my financial aid offer yet because I don't know if I got admitted or not. I'm pretty sure I'm guaranteed an on campus job to pay for personal expenses as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by memesherrif101
Those of you who are currently on the programme, where have you applied to in the US? Is the financial aid offered enough to make Uni Cheaper in the US? and are you also applying to uni's in the UK?

Hello :smile:

Also just to add to Joshua's answer, programme participants are required to apply through UCAS in order to have a back-up plan, if not admitted to a US institution. If you decide the US isn't for you, the Sutton Trust team will continue to give full support in your UK applications. You will receive a mentor and be invited to London for a separate residential too.

Once a Sutton Truster, always a Sutton Truster :wink:
I am also in the process of applying for the programme, any tips for the video interview?
I know it sounds cliché but just be yourself really. I would say to try and be as creative as possible, but then again you can't go wrong with just talking in front of your webcam. Be sure you know what you're going to say beforehand, write a script up a couple of days before hand. Try to be as genuine as possible and make sure you answer the questions being asked!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone else having trouble applying? I have made a login and submitted a reference, yet it doesn't show a 'next step' button on the page that I keep being taken to.

'
I'm trying to apply for the programme however it is only giving me the option to submit a referee or to logout? is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've already submitted a referee, however i still can't access the rest of the application process?
Original post by memesherrif101
I'm trying to apply for the programme however it is only giving me the option to submit a referee or to logout? is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've already submitted a referee, however i still can't access the rest of the application process?

Hey I was having the same problem. I emailed the trust and they said they're was a problem with my initial application, that I clicked 'No, I DO have a US Passport or dual citizenship' as opposed to 'Yes, I DO NOT have a US Passport etc.'

If you think you may have done the same thing I would recommend applying again with a new email address otherwise they will not let your application continue as you will not be eligible.

Hope this helps,
Hannan
Hi everyone!

I'm Ryan and I am also a member of cohort 5. I have recently been accepted to Middlebury college(Vermont) so can personally vouch for the programmes successes!

My biggest tips for your application would be to focus your time on making your essays creative and making your video interview engaging. iMovie is great for inserting clips of any interesting extracurricular activities you do and allows you to film the video in a number of separate scenes which is a real life saver!

The US common application is holistic and they will really value the essays you submit. With this in mind, make the essays for your Sutton application creative and personal (It will give the programme staff a strong indication that you will fare well with this vital aspect of your application further down the line).

Also, make sure you explain any extenuating circumstances, no matter how personal, that make your accomplishments even more impressive(such as the death of a family member or perhaps you are a young carer etc...)

Best of luck everyone!
Reply 13
Hello, another cohort 5 member here! I was recently accepted to a university in the US as well, and I thought it'd be a good idea to just reiterate what the other participants have mentioned.

In terms of grades/eligibility, as long as you meet the basic criteria found here, you should go ahead and apply! Due to the competitive nature of the process, you should also aim to showcase that you meet the extra criteria being seeked e.g. high interest and commitment (which may be self evident from the initial surface research you have done), academic performance/potential, and some important factors usually not stressed in the UK higher education system: character and extracurricular involvement.
Since the process is holistic, it is important to put effort into every part of the application. Having said that, this also means that any one section e.g. the video (which you should try your very best to complete, even if it is a bit awkward) is no more important than another section. Context is incredibly important! Because of this, you can be sure that your application will be given a lot of care.

Regarding research, don't worry if you don't understand everything about the US higher education system yet because, as mentioned earlier, the dedicated people on the programme will explain everything and support you along the way. But do try to explain exactly why you think you may be serious about this opportunity.

Financially, since the Sutton Trust is a social mobility charity, it is cheaper for students on the programme to attend university in the US - and often without debt (as will be the case for me). This is contingent, but if you are accepted on the programme you shouldn't have to worry about affordability.

Tips for the video/general application: just show who you genuinely are (even if this means being a bit silly with puns or a quirky video), what you're passionate about, and how much you care! Remember to explain your full circumstances e.g. unusal family situations - pour your heart out!

I think other participants would agree with me when I say that the general experience is life changing. I highly recommend it.
I am also happy to answer any other general or more specific/personal questions. Good luck!
Reply 14
I applied and rlly hope I get in. It's just so competitive.
Remember to get your applications in soon the deadline is next Sunday on the 22nd! Good luck guys🍀 Any questions feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking about applying next year for the 2018 programme, but I don't come from a low-income family. Does this mean I'm not eligible to apply?
Original post by purple_whale
I'm thinking about applying next year for the 2018 programme, but I don't come from a low-income family. Does this mean I'm not eligible to apply?

I wouldn't say it's a reason not to apply if you meet the rest of the criteria, but the majority of students on the programme come from family's with an income lower than £45,000

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 19
Anyone else struggling to submit their application? Every time I hit the final 'next' button it sends me back to the start!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending