The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I pick for a future career in neuroscience?

I am a year 11 GCSE student and it's almost time for me to pick my A-Levels. I am currently swaying towards taking Biology, Chemistry and Medical Science. However, would it be more beneficial for me to take for example Biology, Chemistry and Physics and possibly maths as a fourth? Also if I were to pick Biology Chemisty and Medical Science would it be good for me to do a fourth subject and if so which do you recommend. Thank you.

As a bit of added information to do the neuroscience BSc I need AAA at A-level and Chemistry is required plus one from Biology, Mathematics or Physics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 2hdr
I am a year 11 GCSE student and it's almost time for me to pick my A-Levels. I am currently swaying towards taking Biology, Chemistry and Medical Science. However, would it be more beneficial for me to take for example Biology, Chemistry and Physics and possibly maths as a fourth? Also if I were to pick Biology Chemisty and Medical Science would it be good for me to do a fourth subject and if so which do you recommend. Thank you.

I don't know about the medical science, I would suggest going the more traditional route most unis look for Chemistry, Bio, Physics and/or a humanitarian subject.
However, you can take it as a 4th for competitiveness, if you think you can perform well.
Reply 2
Thank you, I am considering taking Chemistry, Bio, Physics for entry requirements and medical science as preparation for uni and the world of medicine in general. I understand this is a lot of work and but I'm hoping to do a PhD in neuroscience so the more science the better I suppose.
i'd recommend that you don't take physics without maths, some unis might accept psychology as a science too which ties in with neuroscience
Psychology, biology and chemistry ^-^
hey I've applied for neuroscience this year and I'd say they'd probably prefer maths over physics as it'll be a little bit more relevant but yeah they only need 2 hard sciences generally. I do biology, chemistry, maths and further maths :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by thehalfblood
hey I've applied for neuroscience this year and I'd say they'd probably prefer maths over physics as it'll be a little bit more relevant but yeah they only need 2 hard sciences generally. I do biology, chemistry, maths and further maths :smile:

Further maths wow you're brave haha how big a step up would you say it is from GCSE maths to A-level maths?
Original post by 2hdr
Further maths wow you're brave haha how big a step up would you say it is from GCSE maths to A-level maths?

For some people the jump is bigger than it is for others. For me personally I find maths pretty easy so it's been good (although I did GCSE further maths which might have helped a bit but not that much)
i also do fm and it hasn't been a big step up so far only cause i did further maths GCSE, however i am only on c2 and s1 at this point, none of the further modules. if you haven't done fm gcse it'll be quite hard i imagine, you have to really love maths and be prepared to put a lot of work in. ideally you want to be (comfortably) getting an a* at gcse maths to prepare you for it
Reply 9
Original post by spacetechnology
i also do fm and it hasn't been a big step up so far only cause i did further maths GCSE, however i am only on c2 and s1 at this point, none of the further modules. if you haven't done fm gcse it'll be quite hard i imagine, you have to really love maths and be prepared to put a lot of work in. ideally you want to be (comfortably) getting an a* at gcse maths to prepare you for it

Maths isn't my strong suit so I can't see myself picking further maths I'm realistically looking at a level 8 in the new GCSE grading system (1-9) with an 8 being a low A*.
Reply 10
Original post by thehalfblood
For some people the jump is bigger than it is for others. For me personally I find maths pretty easy so it's been good (although I did GCSE further maths which might have helped a bit but not that much)

Unfortunately there is not further maths GCSE at my school, I enjoy maths and love the satisfaction of understanding a challenging topic however I am by no means one of the best in my year. I will seriously consider taking maths as an a-level as it is useful for a wide range of subjects and I'd imagine that any career in science will involve a significant amount of maths but I'm worried that since I'm not amazing at it I may get a B meaning I'll miss the entry requirements for the course I want to take at uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
It's actually a Diploma in Medical Science which is the equivalent of an a-level, I'd never heard of it either and since it is very relevant to what I want to do I thought it'd be a wasted opportunity to not take it.

Quick Reply

Latest