The Student Room Group

Opinions welcome

I managed to get an offer, and the grades needed for a place to study History at UCL this year. However, my grades are good enough that quite a few people, including several teachers, have advised me to take a gap year and give Oxford a go - something I wanted to do last year, but was unable to as I changed my mind about the course I wanted to do at the last minute and missed the Oxbridge deadline. I'm a little stuck. I like UCL, especially the option of doing one english module each year, but I like the look of Oxford's course too, and it's always irritated me that I didn't even try for it.

Any advice/opinions on what I should do? How much of a difference will going to Oxford really make (assuming I even got in)? I'd welcome all, since I have to make a very quick decision and let UCL know in the next couple of days.
Reply 1
There's only a slim chance of getting into Oxford, generally around 25%. It's not worth wasting a year of your life for a slim chance when you'll be just as happy at UCL.
Reply 2
:ditto: I would agree- UCL is a fantastic university- and you like the course! You may not get into Oxford and then you'd've wasted a place at UCL for nothing, right? Oxford may "sound" the more prestigious, but UCL has a brilliant history department (I know, my cousin went there!)
Reply 3
This is quite hypocritical advice given my two application cycles - but I would definitely stick with the UCL course. I went up there for interview and was very impressed by the whole university.
UCL has a top history department and it offers a very flexible course - something totally lacking in the annoyingly rigid Oxford course. Its rated as one of the best uni's in the country and you'll still be in London so could even stay at home and avoid massive student debt.
Finally, the success rate for history applications at Oxford is about 1 in 3. Is it worth taking a year out to gamble on the possibility of getting a place, when you already have a place at a 'top 5' uni?
That being said I turned down St. Andrew's, York, and KCL last year to reapply! :-D
Reply 4
Josho
This is quite hypocritical advice given my two application cycles - but I would definitely stick with the UCL course. I went up there for interview and was very impressed by the whole university.
UCL has a top history department and it offers a very flexible course - something totally lacking in the annoyingly rigid Oxford course. Its rated as one of the best uni's in the country and you'll still be in London so could even stay at home and avoid massive student debt.
Finally, the success rate for history applications at Oxford is about 1 in 3. Is it worth taking a year out to gamble on the possibility of getting a place, when you already have a place at a 'top 5' uni?
That being said I turned down St. Andrew's, York, and KCL last year to reapply! :-D

LOL you make me laugh! To the OP, this is probably a rare occurance, and I really strongly recommend that you stick with UCL!
Reply 5
I'm assuming you got AAA. I would agree with the majority of the posts that you will be taking a big gamble. You forget, you will have to impress them at the interviews. Believe you me, it wont be easy. I went through the whole Oxford thing last year and it was tough going...tests, gruelling/challenging interviews. Not quite sure what they were looking for. I got rejected and am going to UCL this year. For Geography, UCL is higher in ranking than Oxford. It was more peer pressure from school that made me apply to Oxford.
Reply 6
It would be a gamble, as there is also the chance that UCL wl lturn around in this cycle and say no as you rejected them. Also I assume you must have got AAA and have really good GCSEs but that wont be enough for Oxford. You will have to submit an essay, do the HAT test, and if you pass those hurdles then go for your interview. Im not saying you cant do it but just that your grades are a garuntee of nothing with Oxford.
Reply 7
Stick with UCL. Save yourself the hassle.
Reply 8
Thanks to everyone who replied. Josho - a friend of mine turned down a place at Bristol right after results day and got into Cambridge on his second cycle. Bristol accepted him the second time around too. I've also been advised by a friend who just finished History at UCL that whilst it's a great course, Oxford's is definitely better, in terms of the teaching, and how challenging it is. I just feel like it will bug me for the next ten years if I don't at least give Oxford a go, whether I get into it or not - and I know it's going to be an incredible amount of work.

But thanks for all the opinions. Going to UCL is probably the wiser option, but I don't think that I can take it.
Reply 9
If its what you really want to do then its probably the right decision!
Good luck anyway!
Reply 10
Nabsee
Thanks to everyone who replied. Josho - a friend of mine turned down a place at Bristol right after results day and got into Cambridge on his second cycle. Bristol accepted him the second time around too. I've also been advised by a friend who just finished History at UCL that whilst it's a great course, Oxford's is definitely better, in terms of the teaching, and how challenging it is. I just feel like it will bug me for the next ten years if I don't at least give Oxford a go, whether I get into it or not - and I know it's going to be an incredible amount of work.

But thanks for all the opinions. Going to UCL is probably the wiser option, but I don't think that I can take it.

I know what you mean on the bugging you for the next 10 years. If you really want it, then go for it I say!
Reply 11
I'm in a similar position. In fact, I feel i've made quite a few stupid mistakes with my application.

Originally applied for Bristol, Oxford, Warwick, Exeter, York and Manchester to take History last year after getting my AS grades. Anyway, Oxford and Bristol were my top choices with Exeter third. Bristol was a rejection and with Oxford I passed the HAT test but failed the interview, but Exeter gave me an offer which I was quite chuffed with, espcially considering that I wasn't really expecting Oxf or Bristol with AAAC at AS.

A2 results have now come back better than expected however with 3 high A's (and I fixed that C up so AS's are all a's as well) and i'm wondering whether I should accept Exeter, or whether I should reapply for Oxford and Bristol, and possibly some other options (I really didn't spend enough time researching universities last time and only visited one or two). At the same time, I don't know whether I ever really had much chance with Oxford seeing as my GCSE's aren't quite up to scratch - 1 A*, 7 A's and a B, C and D. Its quite a gamble I think.

One of the things i'm worried about is that Exeter will reject me in the second cycle if they get the impression that they are not actually my first choice (I don't know if they keep track of previous applicants) and then if I lose them and don't make some of my other choices i'd be really buggered wouldn't I. I do like Exeter thats for sure, and all the other options i've placed higher then them are going to be hard to get into so maybe I should play it safe.

Also wondering whether I should have accepted that offer from York instead of Exeter seeing as it is more highly regarded for History but thats another problem alltogether!

In any case, best of luck, and let us know what you decide.
Reply 12
Go to UCL and then apply for a postgrad at Oxford.
Reply 13
dionysus gives sound advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending