The Student Room Group

Some advice needed

Hello. I'm from Pakistan and I recently gave my AS Levels from the CIE board and these are my results:

Maths (A) - 97%
Economics (A) - 96%
Accounts (A) - 95%

I want to go to Warwick for either the Morse or the Mathematics & Statistics degree or UCL for their Statistics, Economics and Finance degree. I just recently found out that Accounts is a blacklisted subject and wanted to know whether it will put me in some sort of disadvantage.

I understand that the above 2 universities require a 4th AS Level. I was planning to either give Psychology or Physics. Psychology would be a much easier option but I wanted to know whether giving Physics as a 4th AS Level will give me some sort of advantage.

In my O Levels, I had 5 As (including English and Maths) and 4 Bs ....there isnt a A* grade in "O Levels". The thing is that I didnt have any Sciences.

I wanted to know if I have a chance with the universities I mentioned and what 4th AS Level should I give.

As far as Further Maths goes, my school doesnt offer it and I dont have any proper help here. I dont want to give it and get a D grade. I would have given just the AS but the only board offering A Levels here, CIE, only offers FM at A Level.
Reply 1
If I were you I would just do the full further maths A-level. So next year do Maths, Economics, Accounts, Further Maths (means doing 9 maths modules in 1 year though). you achieved 97% in the Maths AS (same as I got actually! :biggrin:) so you should be fine teaching it to yourself. TSR is also a very helpful resource for help with maths when you're stuck.
Reply 2
aqfrenzy.Thanks for the advice but I really dont think Ill be able to do it. I prefer even a terrible teacher to self-study. If someone just explains me once, I usually pick up things but thats not possible here. I know that the Maths departments of the above Unis require FM but Im applying to the Statistics department and the only thing theyve said about FM is that your offer will be reduced to AAB from AAA if you have FM. Any comments?
Reply 3
If accounts is a blacklisted subject then psycology will also be blacklisted. Go for a traditional subject. If Further Maths is offered do that otherwise just go for one of your O Level subjects (not your native language though).
Reply 4
do further maths for god's sake. you're gonna have to learn to teach yourself at one point in your life, and from your results you hardly seem stupid..
Reply 5
your textbooks will be good enough to teach you. all the teachers do when they teach is read out what the textbooks say..thats what mine did anyway. plus if you get stuck this forum is HERE FOR YOU!
blacklisted? wat exactly do u mean by that. i took psychology, media and art, all which cud be 'blacklisted' courses. the only problem i had is that oxbridge would only accept media OR art not both together. nothing was said about psychology. do u know for sure they wont look at u if ur doing accounting over wateva?
Reply 7
^I dont exactly get what your saying. Cambridge and LSE came up with a list of subjects which they do not encourage students to take. Accounting was one of them.

Latest