The Student Room Group

My First Rejection

So I applied to LLB Law at LSE.
I was rejected on the basis of that my GCSEs weren't high enough.
I got 5As, 3Bs at GCSE... I followed the LSE's entry requirements and I thought 5A's was enough.. well I thought wrong lol.

Do you think 5A's is enough for LSE?

LSE's website states ''As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades)''. Did I not get multiple A's they require?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drunq
I got 5As, 3Bs at GCSE... I followed the LSE's entry requirements and I thought 5A's was enough.. well I thought wrong lol.

I think your GCSE's are good and more than enough! Don't let this rejection put you down.
Certain university's just have different standards, and most of are harsh when the course is very competitive.
Your GCSE's are fine! LSE possibly just had many good applicants in this cycle, and maybe you and another applicant were equal in achievements and the only way to differentiate was with GCSE grades as a final resort?
Original post by Drunq

LSE's website states ''As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades)''. Did I not get multiple A's they require?

You did!:smile: Don't let this rejection put you down!:biggrin: May I ask what your a level grades were?x:h:
Original post by econprospective
Your GCSE's are fine! LSE possibly just had many good applicants in this cycle, and maybe you and another applicant were equal in achievements and the only way to differentiate was with GCSE grades as a final resort?

This is probably the reason.:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sunshine774
You did!:smile: Don't let this rejection put you down!:biggrin: May I ask what your a level grades were?x:h:

3 A's... :frown:

Not gonna bother fighting this, just got to be optimistic about my Oxford application. Even though the LNAT was :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drunq

What? That's good! Don't be sad! Not getting a place at LSE does NOT define you in any way- please remember that!:biggrin:
Reply 7
What? That's good! Don't be sad! Not getting a place at LSE does NOT define you in any way- please remember that!:biggrin:

Thank you. I got 1 offer from Kent, 1 Rejection from LSE. Waiting on Oxford, Durham and UCL.
Original post by Drunq
Thank you. I got 1 offer from Kent, 1 Rejection from LSE. Waiting on Oxford, Durham and UCL.

Congrats on your place at Kent!x:h: I hope you get offers from your other unis as well!x:biggrin:
Original post by Drunq

Not gonna bother fighting this, just got to be optimistic about my Oxford application. Even though the LNAT was :/

Don't worry, I'm sure you did better than you think!:smile: Do you do the LNAT at the interview, or prior?x
Reply 10
Don't worry, I'm sure you did better than you think!:smile: Do you do the LNAT at the interview, or prior?x

I've already done the LNAT prior, you had to do it before 20th October if you're applying to Oxford. Honestly, it wasn't a really hard test, however, it is extremely hard to prepare for.
Isn't LSE notoriously GCSE heavy, like needing majority A*s? best of luck with your other choices:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by HopelessMedic
Isn't LSE notoriously GCSE heavy, like needing majority A*s? best of luck with your other choices:smile:

Clearly it is GCSE heavy and I found out the hard way. And thank you very much!
Original post by Drunq

Congratulations on your offer from Kent :heart:
Good luck with the others !!
I had no idea GCSEs made such an impact on LSE applications! When did you send your application off? and did you receive the email regarding an initial review? I have also applied here and have average at most GCSEs
Reply 15
Try not to dwell on it. Your GCSE's are great. Good luck with your other applications! :smile:
Original post by Drunq

Don't let this get you down. Only certain universities consider GCSE's - and not necessarily JUST the top ones. For example, Oxford takes them into account, whilst Cambridge doesn't.

I've said this loads of times on here, but I got terrible GCSEs (much worse than you), plus I got terrible AS levels the first time round and re-started sixth form. I still got offers from Warwick, York, Sheffield and Bristol.
Reply 17
Don't worry, this isn't the end of the world. It may even be a blessing in disguise (LSE is known for having very low student satisfaction rates anyway). It's very seldom that people get offers from all 5 of their choices and you've already got an offer under your belt, so don't be disheartened.

Wish you all the best :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by ellerogerss
I had no idea GCSEs made such an impact on LSE applications! When did you send your application off? and did you receive the email regarding an initial review? I have also applied here and have average at most GCSEs

The email I received was a rejection saying that I didn't have enough A*/As
Original post by Drunq

With that GCSE profile, which isn't by any means shabby but isn't stellar either, these university choices for Law are unusual - they are all highly highly competitive and I suspect you could end up with only one offer: the one from Kent. I'm surprised you weren't advised to perhaps put another one or two more achievable universities down. That said, GCSEs aren't the be all and end all, so hopefully you were predicted good A level results which will help. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending