The Student Room Group

Are these a levels good for law?

My a levels are English language, law and politics, are they good for law or should I change them next year?
Original post by Cantthinkofname9
My a levels are English language, law and politics, are they good for law or should I change them next year?

Those subjects are all relevant, however your application would be a bit stronger if you were to take a facilitating subject, such as History, English Literature, Geography or a language. A Level Law isn't necessary for a Law degree, so you might consider swapping that for another subject :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Those subjects are all relevant, however your application would be a bit stronger if you were to take a facilitating subject, such as History, English Literature, Geography or a language. A Level Law isn't necessary for a Law degree, so you might consider swapping that for another subject :smile:

It's too late for me to change them now since it's too far into the year, do you think I should change an option and stay another year in college or just carry on with these subjects? I don't want to go to a RG uni, just a decent one. I've looked at all the entry requirements and none of them need specific subjects at a level however I'm worried that as you said, that it won't make my application as strong. Do you think I should do work experience and the EPQ to make my application stronger or change an option and stay an extra year in college? Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

To be honest with you, they could be better for the top institutions, but if you're saying that you can't change them why are we bothering with the question?

Specifically, Law is not a very good choice for Law, ironic as that is. Gov & Politics is OK, but English Language really needs to be English Language and Literature, or just English Lit. I don't think these A level choices would disbar you from applying for Law at all but the pickiest of institutions, but I think you'd need to get good marks with these choices, i.e. A*/A/A to make your application as competitive as possible.
Reply 4
English Language is a garbage waste-of-time A Level. What you actually want is Literature.
Original post by Reality Check
To be honest with you, they could be better for the top institutions, but if you're saying that you can't change them why are we bothering with the question?

Specifically, Law is not a very good choice for Law, ironic as that is. Gov & Politics is OK, but English Language really needs to be English Language and Literature, or just English Lit. I don't think these A level choices would disbar you from applying for Law at all but the pickiest of institutions, but I think you'd need to get good marks with these choices, i.e. A*/A/A to make your application as competitive as possible.

I never said I couldn't change them, I said I can't change them THIS year. And I'll probably change English language to something like History next year then. Thank you for your advice 🙂
Original post by Luneth
English Language is a garbage waste-of-time A Level. What you actually want is Literature.

I'll probably change it next year then and stay and extra year in college
Original post by Leviathan1741

Original post by Reality Check

Original post by Luneth

(UPDATE) They let me drop eng Lang and do history since it's an A level, not an AS and this was the final week to change. I'll be starting next week. Cheers for your help guys!
(UPDATE) They let me drop eng Lang and do history since it's an A level, not an AS and this was the final week to change. I'll be starting next week. Cheers for your help guys!

Good news! Hope it works out well for you, and you're welcome. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest