The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Student newspapers/magazines

Hi, I'm thinking about joining one of the student newspapers or magazines (if they'll let me!), the thing is, I've only really written academic articles rather than topical articles. I wrote an informal article reporting on music for the academic year in my school's annual magazine, but that's about it.

Does anyone know how I'd be able to get involved? Will I need to submit any articles for them to look at at all?

I don't know about actually getting an article published, but they'll both (Nouse, the serious one and Vision the less serious one) have stalls at freshers' fair, so you can go and ask them then :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
x_muso_x
Hi, I'm thinking about joining one of the student newspapers or magazines (if they'll let me!), the thing is, I've only really written academic articles rather than topical articles. I wrote an informal article reporting on music for the academic year in my school's annual magazine, but that's about it.

Does anyone know how I'd be able to get involved? Will I need to submit any articles for them to look at at all?

Muso! You deffo coming to york now then? :smile:
Reply 3
My friend's one of the deputy editors for Nouse, and I gather if you want to write for them, you go along to the meetings and they assign you to/you ask for a story - I don't think it's too hard to get something published!
Reply 4
I believe, will check and confirm, that anyone is welcome to join. The amount/importance of work you get assigned depends on performance/previous experience. So the more/better you write, the more/better the stories you get given next time.
Reply 5
kexy
Muso! You deffo coming to york now then? :smile:

yup :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hi there

I am a member of The Yorker, (at york...funny that worth investigating) which is an online student 'magazine' http://www.theyorker.co.uk/

There is a facebook but it is really easy to get involved. There will be a stall at freshers fair (always fun :smile: ) and membership this year is £12 (I think) due to web admin costs. So a bit on the expensive side BUT we do let pretty much anyone write (I'm a postgrad chemistry here at York, so they really do!) on any topic.

If you need more info just ask :smile:
hey - I'm going into my 2nd year at York and have published articles with both Nouse and Vision. York is a very media savy/intensive campus so there are many opportunities to get involved with media - be it TV, radio, magazine writing or newspaper journalism. Due to the popularity and high esteem of the two student newspapers, you tend to find that all the journalism (well, most of it) is really quite outstanding and advanced so if you plan on writing for one of them make sure what you write is good. The papers cover a suprisingly large variety of issues and so having just written "academic articles" shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps this is your chance to show off some flare and variety and get involved with writing about something different? Meetings are usually monthly, and there will be stands at freshers stall. Alternatively, you can now (I believe) submit articles online for Vision. Hope this helps; you'll be given lots of info in Freshers so don't worry. The papers come out every 3 weeks roughly, so there's plenty of time throughout the year to try out writing.
Reply 8

Vision and Nouse, as far as student papers go, are usually pretty good quality. I've never actually read The Yorker, though I'll be doing so before long, since they want to appear on my show now, apparently.
Reply 9
Personally I'm skeptical about The Yorker. It's over a year late (it was supposed to launch last Freshers' Week) and even now it's launched it's only got a tiny proportion of the functionality it's supposed to have. I suppose being established as an independent company rather than a YUSU organisation puts its outside of YUSU's controversial media charter, though, which is probably a good thing.
laser
Personally I'm skeptical about The Yorker. It's over a year late (it was supposed to launch last Freshers' Week) and even now it's launched it's only got a tiny proportion of the functionality it's supposed to have. I suppose being established as an independent company rather than a YUSU organisation puts its outside of YUSU's controversial media charter, though, which is probably a good thing.

As far as i know the yorker was no supposed to be launched last year, as it was only being concept designed then. The version launched at the moment only has a small percentage of the functionality because its only a beta/alpha version. It is launched in full at freshers this year. I am a yorker technical developer so i do know a bit about how its progressing.

We seem to have loads of journalists, but they also seem keen to recruit more all the time. The big advantage with the yorker is we are not limited to how much we can produce. If we have more journalists we just write more articles and publish them every day.
Reply 11
According to Nick it was originally planned to launch last Freshers' week in the original design, but that got delayed until Christmas. Then Easter.

I was involved in the development in the early stages (like, about a year ago) and I've seen it get delayed and delayed again.

Latest