The Student Room Group

Can you transfer unis after completing the first year of foundation medicine?

Would any of the high rank london universities accept a student who transferred from another university after completing their foundation medicine year there?.

Scroll to see replies

bump
Bump
Bump
Original post by Iamalwayssad
Bump

Have some patience. You posted this in the middle of the night.

There are very very few transfers between medical schools and they normally require exceptional circumstances. So it is pretty much certain you will complete your degree at the medical school you start at.

Oh and get the idea of 'top London' medical school out of your head. Prestige doesn't matter at all in medicine. All medical degrees in this country meet the standard set by the GMC and don't have any impact on future careers.
Oh, really?
Even the other london medicine courses that offer medicine with a foundation year won't accept me.?
Even the other london medicine courses that offer medicine with a foundation year won't accept me.?

If you want to study in London, you will have to apply to London medical schools originally. Transfers aren't really an option.
Oh okay, thank you

May I also ask which source you used to know about that?
Oh okay, thank you

May I also ask which source you used to know about that?

Years of advising applicants on applying to medicine on TSR. It can happen very occasionally, but it's not a standard thing and you would need a very good reason. When you apply to medicine you have to be quite realistic, I.e. Apply to places you stand a good shot of getting in. Knowing that transfers aren't something to count on.

Why are you so keen to go to London?
Ah also does this (not being able to transfer) only apply to foundation med students or can you transfer after the first year into second year or transfer at all into a london university?.
And where did you get the source for this information of not being able to transfer?

Thanks.
Just asking out of curiosity .
Ah also does this (not being able to transfer) only apply to foundation med students or can you transfer after the first year into second year or transfer at all into a london university?.

It applies to all medical students. It just isn't the done thing in medicine, unless you have a particularly strong reason (I.e. Sick parent so you want to move closer to home). Teh places are simply too competitive to allow transfers easily.

If you want to check, you can email the London medical schools for yourself.

But again, I ask, why London? There is life outside of London. There is medicine outside of London.
It would appear that only one London medical school, King's, offers a foundation year, which is aimed at widening participation
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/extended-medical-degree-programme-mbbs.aspx

Would you qualify for this programme?
I live in London and just generally cannot cope with the expenses of living there

I'm not sure what they mean by non selective state schools, does Woodhouse college count?
I'm just a regular studenr with no special circumstances
I acheieved A*AAB at a-level
Does the course that kings offfer mean it is possible to transfer into medicine after completing a foundation year?.
Does the course that kings offfer mean it is possible to transfer into medicine after completing a foundation year?.

The Kings course is a medicine course. You pass the foundation year and then continue with their 5 year medicine programme.

I live in London and just generally cannot cope with the expenses of living there

I'm not sure what they mean by non selective state schools, does Woodhouse college count?
I'm just a regular studenr with no special circumstances
I acheieved A*AAB at a-level

If you can't afford London prices, why are you asking about transferring to medical schools there. There are medical schools that are in places that are far cheaper to live, particularly for students.

Why on earth are you asking about foundation courses with those grades? Apply to the normal 5 year courses. They should be good enough for the London medical schools (if thats what you so desire), dependant on UKCAT/BMAT etc. You have missed the deadline though, so can't apply until next year.
Ah I meant the uni I am currently in has been expensive being in london would reduce costs for me by a lot.

Sorry if I sound thick but does that mean that after completing my medicine foundation year I cannot transfer to the kings 5 year medicine course?
Ah I meant the uni I am currently in has been expensive being in london would reduce costs for me by a lot.

Sorry if I sound thick but does that mean that after completing my medicine foundation year I cannot transfer to the kings 5 year medicine course?

Yes. But to put your mind at ease you may want to contact Kings and ask if they would accept you. Its unlikely that they would simply on the grounds of your current uni being expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending