The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't like the taste, and don't feel the need to drink
Original post by epicflyingcat
It seems like a lot of people do this and I don't really understand why.

I don't drink because I dislike the taste and the feeling of being drunk
I don't like the taste
- I don't like the taste of most alcoholic drinks, and they can be pretty expensive
- Drinking it makes me excessively tired unless I want to drink enough to get drunk
- I don't feel safe or comfortable being out of control of my own body like being drunk makes me

So I do drink - I'm not entirely teetotal - but I don't drink very often. I enjoy nights out, but I'm pretty happy to stay sober for most of them.
I personally do not drink as I don't think it is necessary and I find it pitiful that people need to drink alcohol to enjoy themselves and have the confidence to speak to others.
Reply 6
i wont trink, because you dont have control of yorself and it is pretty damn scary :redface:
Same reason that most people don't do any other drug.
Expensive
Dislike the taste
Dislike being drunk
Dislike the culture of getting drunk
Reply 9
I for one didn't drink because it didn't help with my mh issues and then becuse it interacted with my meds.
Also don't drink now cos i'm just not realy into the whole drinking and partying thing so there's not really any point. I'd rather drink my favirote non-alcoholic drink while watcing a movie or having dinner than an alcoholic one. I'm not T-total though, I'll have an alcoholic drink if it sounds nice and i'm interested in it, just not for the sake of it being alcoholic.
It feels rubbish, it's bad for your health, it feels like your insides are burning and it just makes me want to vomit them go to sleep.
Reply 11
I drank when I was younger, in order to feel more comfortable in social situations. As I have got older, I've become a lot more confident so there's no need for it.

There isn't much alcohol I like the taste of, and I can't really justify the money it would cost when going out with friends etc. So I no longer drink.
I don't need to look stupid when drunk to enjoy myself no offence lol
I love an ice cold cider. :drool:

Sadly alcohol reacts with the meds I'm on, so no drinking for me :sad:
It reacts with the meds I'm on sometimes and you're not technically meant to with most of my others, although a lot of people do. Also not really worth the risk with health stuff I have and I don't really like most of it anyway so easier to just avoid.
i only drink on holiday now. it saves loads of money & there is no risk to my driving licence :h:
I don't drink because I know how to have a good time without being plastered all over Snapchat when the sauce hits too much...
I also want to look out for my mates when they are completely down, like to the point where they will probably drink alone because they are depressed. I don't want that for them, I want to be able to look after them and be a real friend when no one is around.
Reply 17
Lots of reasons really. I do drink occasionally like 4 times a year at most.

Firstly the expense. And secondly how they try to manipulate you into buying more. I went out in Manchester recently and they are constantly trying to shove shots and jagerbombs down your throat with the drinks girls. They keep temperature up so you want a drink faster. And encourage binge drinking by doing time limited deals at the bar for free shots or bottles of wine. Really? It's disgusting.

You wouldn't buy anything elsewhere under such a hard sell. If you were walking around pic world and someone kept coming up to you to offer you computer accessories and there was a speaker announcement every 15 minutes about a new deal if you buy a computer at the till within the next 5 minutes..you'd leave. But in a bar..it's awesome 🙄

It really disturbs me that they can do this. It's not the bars picking up the bill when people are sent to a and e with alcohol poisoning or when police have to come. Bars and clubs should pay a heavy drinkers tax or they should be fined for engaging in these tactics to encourage heavy drinking. It's tax payers that end up paying and missing out on NHS services or other emergency services caught up in dealing with fights and drunken behaviour

--

I also don't drink often so I can drive and I know everyone is getting home safely. I was once abandoned in a city with no way to get home. I was then at complete mercy of bloke who was with me when I realised I'd been abandoned.

I used to drink on my meds but I don't now. It's not worth the side effects at all. I'd be completely out of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
cos they (me) have to deal with fkin retards who feel the need to have a good time is to drink. Then they observe these ****tards and don't want to be like them. Why the **** do you think?
Original post by Anonymous
I personally do not drink as I don't think it is necessary and I find it pitiful that people need to drink alcohol to enjoy themselves and have the confidence to speak to others.

I find it equally pitiful that people have to hide behind anon to have the confidence to voice their opinions

Latest