The Student Room Group

How many grades can I boost in 6 months?

Hello, so I'm currently doing the following GCSEs-
English in exam was a D, maths was E and science was F. Terrible I know but that was a year early. I'm also doung Art, Business and Photography.
How many grades can I go up in 6 months.
Each subject I'm having 2 hours tutoring a week for each, good revision everyday and obviously class work. I want to know how many grades I can go up. My GCSE English and Maths is changing to grade 1-9 and a 4/5 is a C. Does anyone know in letter wise how much I can go up.
Reply 1
If you are confident that your grades will grow as a result of all this work. If you can maintain your positive attitude. And if you are committed to achieve the best you possibly can without loosening up, I believe you can get all A*s or 9s at the end of the year.
Thank you!! Is there any good websites you'd reccommend??
Original post by Ahad27
If you are confident that your grades will grow as a result of all this work. If you can maintain your positive attitude. And if you are committed to achieve the best you possibly can without loosening up, I believe you can get all A*s or 9s at the end of the year.

Thank you! I'm feeling quite confident now! Do you have any good websites for revision you reccommend?
Reply 4
Original post by kieraoconnor
Thank you! I'm feeling quite confident now! Do you have any good websites for revision you reccommend?

Read the specifications for all your subjects from the exam board websites, past papers are also available with the mark schemes.

On youtube there are many good channels that might help you, just type in exam board and subject.
Thank you:smile:
Original post by Ahad27
Read the specifications for all your subjects from the exam board websites, past papers are also available with the mark schemes.

On youtube there are many good channels that might help you, just type in exam board and subject.

Thank you :smile:
I answered a question in the GCSE section earlier on how to revise in GCSEs, so I've copied and pasted what I said below, as it was quite indepth as to how to revise each subject and keep on top of things.

As regard to how many grades can go up- all of them. Six months is a long time, you are clearly commited. I didn't start revision properly until the Easter holidays, and my grades all increased from my mocks. This is how I revised for my subjects. If you wanted any more details on how to study a particular subject or even a particular part of a subject, you can always ask me, or someone on these forums will be happy to help :smile:

Also, my friend had tutoring sessions for maths and english and his grades went up 2 or 3 grades from doing that (he had tutoring once a week). So hopefully that gives you even more hope. Be positive, it will work out in the end :smile:

Anyway, here goes the super long bit from my answer on another thread:

English Literature: Read your books more than once! I didn't and although I got a good grade and I'm doing it at A-Level, I wish I'd done this. Don't keep putting it off, I didn't read my books again for ages and then it got right to week before my exams and I didn't know them as well as I wish I did. Learn key quotes- order them in a way you understand and write them either on flashcards or type them. Suggestions for how to group quotes: you can either group quotes by character, theme, or chapter. Make sure you know the relevance of the quotes. Learn your themes, symbols, plot and characters. Make flashcards or mindmaps- whatever works for you. As for poetry, continually read through the poems. Go over your analysis of them if you have any notes, again look at themes, structure, form, as well as symbols, meaning. Try to practice analysing some unseen poetry and check it with your teacher. Remember, in all your subjects, teachers are there to help you and will be pleased to see you are revising and give you advice.

English Language: Practice questions. This is the absolute essential revision tip. Also, if your school runs a revision club, go to it, the teacher can help you practice then as well- you should go to revision clubs for most of your subjects if they're offered, it's an extra hour at school and a guarenteed way of putting in some extra work. Read articles and practice looking at the technqiues used. Also, make a couple of flashcards on all the devices- alliteration, allusion, onomatopoeia (spelling may be wrong), simile, metaphor, tripart pattering (triples/power of three). Keep reminding youself of what you need to look for on these questions. Practice creative writing. This is the best way to revise. Also, watch Mr Bruff's videos on Youtube. These cover the exam in detail and everyone who used his advice seems to have positive feedback.

Maths: Again, practice questions. You can revise as much as you want of the actual skills (which you do need to do), but make sure you're consistently practicing. Past papers are the best ways, do every one you can get your hands on. Find more questions online. Also, a good way to revise methods, is watching videos. I used MathsWatch, which would show the method then give practice questions, but if you're school doesn't have access to this then find something similar. I went from Cs and Bs in Maths, but with doing past papers, I got up to consistent As (got an A in my GCSE). My maths teacher said practice is the only way to revise and get better.

Sciences: I honestly have to recommend MYGCSESCIENCE, if you're on the old spec for science still (check with your teacher if you're not sure). These videos cost money, but it is 100% worth it! I went from expecting Cs and maybe Bs in Science to getting 2 As and a B. What I did was watch every video, pausing and making notes on everything he said. I would then use the CGP revision guide, go through every page memorising as much as I could, and at the end of the section, asnwer the questions they put in it. Then I would watch the videos all again, closer to the exam, and just sit and watch, and take it all in. My friends all did this kind of technique and we all improved our science grades hugely (most of them did better than me- A*s and As).

Essay-based subjects (e.g. History, RS): It varies from subject to subject- but I would say obviously practice essay writing. You also must learn the content. Like the sciences and English Literature, you can't just do practice questions. Make mindmaps, type it, flashcards anything- and then learn it. Do recall- look, cover, write, check. Keep doing this. You'll also want to practice analytical skills if you're doing history. I didn't do history, but I did RS and I went to a few revision sessions, so I'd recommend doing that, to get the finer details and hit the top grades.

Subjects like Geography, Business Studies: I've grouped these together as they a mixture of shorter answers (1-4 marks), and longer answers (6-16 marks). I would recommend again, learning the content- write it all out in a way that works for you, practice recall, and do past papers. I also did both these subjects and went to after school revision for them and I would strongly recommend it.

Languages: Ace your controlled assessments. I know how stressful and difficult they are, but I made sure I used a wide range of high level vocab in them, wrote a good amount of paragraphs and spent hours memorising them, and I ended up with 4 A*s on my controlled assessments. I got a C on listening and I think I got an A on reading and overall I got an A in French, so the coursework really boosts it- it's 60% so work hard on it and the pressure is off. To learn my CAs I used to learn a paragraph a night, recall it- writing them for writing and actually speaking them aloud for speaking, then the next night I'd learn the next paragraph and go over both so I didn't forget the previous one. I'd do this until I learnt them all and kept going over them until the assessment. For the exams I didn't do much revision, except for a few past papers and learning some vocab. The skills you develop from the coursework really help.

Performance-based subjects/heavy coursework based subjects (this partly applies to other creative subjects like art and photography, just not the bit about the final performance) - if you do Dance, Drama or Performing Arts I'd recommend working hard on your assessments, don't fall behind on your essays to accompany them as these can bring your grade down. And just make sure you keep practicing so you're well prepared for the final performance.

Hope that advice helped, sorry it's so long. Try not to get too stressed. Organise yourself now, make sure each subject has notes grouped together so you haven't got random bits of paper everywhere. Take plenty of time out from work- you have time- I didn't start most of my revision until the Easter Holidays, because teachers still set lots of homework. GCSE's are purely the step for you to get to Post-16, and I know it may feel like you'll do badly now, trust me I felt like that and ended up really happy with what I got- my results were completely unexpected.

Also, make a timetable. I make mine on excel. Put the days along the top, and half an hour time slots along the side. Put in the time you're at school, extra curricular activities, relaxation breaks for when you get in from school, time to relax in the evening, any other commitments and meal times. Then, allocate time purely for 'homework', so you know it will get done- work out roughly how much time a week you spend doing homework that's set. Then you have 2 options: either label spaces 'revision' and just generally revise various subjects, or label them specifically with the subject you want to revise, so you know that you are revising enough for all your subjects. I can't tell you what's 'enough' as it's personal, but it should probably increase closer to the real exams.

Remember, try to get a good amount of sleep, don't look at school work at least an hour before bed, and eat healthily. You will be fine, you'll get through GCSEs and realise they weren't too bad. Don't forget to have fun and not totally stress out over the last few months of school!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Make sure too go over the mark schemes too. At GCSE there's always a risk of writing a correct answer, but not getting much credit for it if you don't use the exact word they want or you do your working in an unusual way.
(edited 7 years ago)
I tutor GCSE Maths and Science. I had a student last year whom was predicted D in Science and D in Maths. After six months tutoring (2 hours per week), she ended up with B in Science and A in Maths. In other words, yes one can get good grades if they focus. I recommend freesciencelessons.com and Maths Genie.
0, Where were you all these days?
Original post by Reversed Flash
0, Where were you all these days?

I have only just joined. Just showing it is possible to obtain good grades, even in your least favourite subjects, with the right attitude, approach, focus and resources. I take little credit for her results as she put the work in.
Original post by kieraoconnor
Hello, so I'm currently doing the following GCSEs-
English in exam was a D, maths was E and science was F. Terrible I know but that was a year early. I'm also doung Art, Business and Photography.
How many grades can I go up in 6 months.
Each subject I'm having 2 hours tutoring a week for each, good revision everyday and obviously class work. I want to know how many grades I can go up. My GCSE English and Maths is changing to grade 1-9 and a 4/5 is a C. Does anyone know in letter wise how much I can go up.

at my school, we have been told we will improve 1-2 grades just with classes and revision so if you're doing so much extra work I believe you will improve much more that that and pass everything.

Quick Reply

Latest