The Student Room Group

Trig identity.Help

Need help in these two questions
Thanks in advance
image.jpg
First part of first question from double angle identities, then it's a case of rearranging and factorising until your left with sinA/CosA = tanA
Second question square both sides to start and then rewrite the cos2x term and start working towards something that could resemble tanx
image.jpg
Reply 3
Original post by mathcoachni
image.jpg
First part of first question from double angle identities, then it's a case of rearranging and factorising until your left with sinA/CosA = tanA

I did this part so far already and with one more step which is factorising Cos^2(A)-Sin^2(A) but got stuck after that
image.jpg
Original post by lil_jack
I did this part so far already and with one more step which is factorising Cos^2(A)-Sin^2(A) but got stuck after

Remember what your trying to make the LHS look like, you want sin/cos, sometimes it just takes you to go through the different options.
Reply 5
Original post by lil_jack
I did this part so far already and with one more step which is factorising Cos^2(A)-Sin^2(A) but got stuck after that

remember that

cos(2A)cos2Asin2A2cos2A1 cos(2A) \equiv cos^2A - sin^2A \equiv 2cos^2A - 1

this is done by using sin2A+cos2A1    sin2A1cos2A sin^2A + cos^2A \equiv 1 \implies sin^2A \equiv 1 - cos^2A

now in the denominator, the -1 and +1 cancel out each other, so you are left with:

2sinAcosA+sinA2cos2A+cosA \frac{2sinAcosA + sinA}{2cos^2A + cosA}

Factorise this now and you should be able to get the answer
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks alot mate

Quick Reply

Latest