The Student Room Group

Is STEP useful for further maths??

Hello I was just wondering whether doing STEP questions will help with further maths. I try to do some questions every one or two days or so, at the moment its only STEP 1. I am not planning to sit the exam but I just try to get better at problem solving and unfamiliar questions because FM exams got harder in the past year and I want to make sure that they wont catch me out. Do you think STEP 1 helps or I should move onto step 3 because that focuses on the further maths syllabus?
Reply 1
Original post by petikepetike
Hello I was just wondering whether doing STEP questions will help with further maths. I try to do some questions every one or two days or so, at the moment its only STEP 1. I am not planning to sit the exam but I just try to get better at problem solving and unfamiliar questions because FM exams got harder in the past year and I want to make sure that they wont catch me out. Do you think STEP 1 helps or I should move onto step 3 because that focuses on the further maths syllabus?

Doing more maths can't hurt but STEP is much harder than Further Maths and it really isn't necessary - you're much better off doing every Further Maths style question you can find on the topics assessed.
Reply 2
Original post by Tau
Doing more maths can't hurt but STEP is much harder than Further Maths and it really isn't necessary - you're much better off doing every Further Maths style question you can find on the topics assessed.

I know that it is much harder and I dont need to do it but I mean it feels good when I struggle for an hour with a question and then I finally get it right. I like challenging questions and STEP has really satisyfying questions which I enjoy doing but I was just wondering whether it would actually help me not get caught out on my further maths exam because the grade boundaries are really tight and not understanding one question could cost me 2 grades which I really dont want.

Quick Reply

Latest