The Student Room Group

Part time training contract?

Hey guys, two things initially:

1) I am dead set on a career in law, whether in-house or at a firm - it's the only career I am motivated to pursue.

2) I am aware these are very far and few between

However, I suffer from chronic fatigue - I am on an upward trajectory (Final year at Nottingham university), projecting ahead I can't say with certainty that I will in 2/3 years time say I will be able to work FT work and therefore a FT TC wouldn't be possible - without negotiation of hours worked within the week.

As such what are my best chances of getting a PT TC after GDL & LPC completion? I was currently planning to work whether part time within a firm/consistently accrue experience at a law firm, as an in, willing to work as a PT paralegal perhaps with the proviso that a PT TC would follow (the once they know me approach) any come back would be good.

I am just currently contingently thinking about my future, and obviously you cannot say with certainty what level my energy will be at by then.
Reply 1
Original post by manty

1) I am dead set on a career in law, whether in-house or at a firm - it's the only career I am motivated to pursue.

However, I suffer from chronic fatigue - I am on an upward trajectory (Final year at Nottingham university), projecting ahead I can't say with certainty that I will in 2/3 years time say I will be able to work FT work and therefore a FT TC wouldn't be possible - without negotiation of hours worked within the week.

As such what are my best chances of getting a PT TC after GDL & LPC completion? I was currently planning to work whether part time within a firm/consistently accrue experience at a law firm, as an in, willing to work as a PT paralegal perhaps with the proviso that a PT TC would follow (the once they know me approach) any come back would be good.

I am just currently contingently thinking about my future, and obviously you cannot say with certainty what level my energy will be at by then.

Anyone?
Reply 2
Honestly, I think you will struggle to find a part time training contract. I know of a very few people who have done them whilst simultaneously studying the GDL and/or LPC (this was under the old training regulations). I don't know of anyone who has done one for medical or other reasons. I think your only route in is likely to be via paralegalling but even then I don't tend to see part time paralegal positions advertised. The profession is pretty behind the times when it comes to part time and flexible working.
Reply 3
Original post by emmings
Honestly, I think you will struggle to find a part time training contract. I know of a very few people who have done them whilst simultaneously studying the GDL and/or LPC (this was under the old training regulations). I don't know of anyone who has done one for medical or other reasons. I think your only route in is likely to be via paralegalling but even then I don't tend to see part time paralegal positions advertised. The profession is pretty behind the times when it comes to part time and flexible working.

Ah see, I was assuming after the completion of the LPC. It's the only thing that's putting me off law, in that contingently if I don't fully recover - enough to work FT at least, it leaves me relatively screwed.

However I do believe where there is a will there is a way.
I doubt any of the standard law firms in the City will allow a part-time training contract. There are far too driven by profit and I've never heard of such, unless the TC was completed alongside the GDL and LPC. There are some more progressive firms (at least that is what they claim) who encourage you to disclose your disability (CFS would be classed as one) so that they can make reasonable adjustments. In reality, I'm not sure how genuinely open or compassionate the big law firms are about this. Also bear in mind the number of TCs which firms offer to their own paralegals is extremely low. Some firms will tell their paralegals from the very get go that they will not be offered a TC.

Even as a trainee, the hours are long and there is probably very little room for negotiation unfortunately. The reality is that law has long hours and the people who can't hack that, for medical reasons or otherwise, will not succeed. In corporate practice areas, the hours are notoriously long and unpredictable. You're best bet is to look at smaller firms/ high street firms or in practice areas where the hours are more consistent. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by habeas.corpus
I doubt any of the standard law firms in the City will allow a part-time training contract. There are far too driven by profit and I've never heard of such, unless the TC was completed alongside the GDL and LPC. There are some more progressive firms (at least that is what they claim) who encourage you to disclose your disability (CFS would be classed as one) so that they can make reasonable adjustments. In reality, I'm not sure how genuinely open or compassionate the big law firms are about this. Also bear in mind the number of TCs which firms offer to their own paralegals is extremely low. Some firms will tell their paralegals from the very get go that they will not be offered a TC.

Even as a trainee, the hours are long and there is probably very little room for negotiation unfortunately. The reality is that law has long hours and the people who can't hack that, for medical reasons or otherwise, will not succeed. In corporate practice areas, the hours are notoriously long and unpredictable. You're best bet is to look at smaller firms/ high street firms or in practice areas where the hours are more consistent. Good luck.

Hello there, and thank-you for your response. I am not gunning for a large city firm, or for even a big salary, it's purely the only job that motivates me. My plan was to aim for small/medium sized firms, then follow either paralegal with some conditional placed on a TC within a time period t. Or perhaps through connections, experience within a medium sized firm, be able to demonstrate enough value to be given one.

Reflexively it's obviously easier if you become ill after you've been practicing, but unfortunately, life doesn't work out that way.
Original post by manty
Hello there, and thank-you for your response. I am not gunning for a large city firm, or for even a big salary, it's purely the only job that motivates me. My plan was to aim for small/medium sized firms, then follow either paralegal with some conditional placed on a TC within a time period t. Or perhaps through connections, experience within a medium sized firm, be able to demonstrate enough value to be given one.

Reflexively it's obviously easier if you become ill after you've been practicing, but unfortunately, life doesn't work out that way.

It must be very difficult coping with CFS but I seriously admire your determination and passion. That will serve you well in your search for a legal career.

Through connections is the only way I have heard of people gaining part-time TC's (although these were done alongside the GDL/ LPC at very small firms in niche areas). Just remember that most people who paralegal do not ever get offered TC's and stay at that level. If you prove yourself to excel at what you do and have stellar intellect and social skills, then maybe you can convince others to bend backwards for you. Good luck!
Original post by manty

I dont think you can formally apply for a p/t tc or at least ive never seen them advertised.

You would have to get into a firm and have some strings pulled for you at partner level. I dint think it would carry much weight in a large firm as they have so many paralegals these days. Everything is geared towards f/t.

The problem you have is how do you broach the fact you have chronic fatigue without them getting concerned of how it wll affect yours and by default other peoples work? A small firm that knows you cna make allowances for that, but a commercial medium or large firm I think will have less time for you. I'm sure some people must do p/t, but I vet they have been at their training firms a long time.

That raises the issue of how you are going to fund your GDL and LPC? Are you intending to try and become a paralegal without them?

Any chance you will make a recovery? Thats where my focus would be.
Reply 8
Original post by habeas.corpus
It must be very difficult coping with CFS but I seriously admire your determination and passion. That will serve you well in your search for a legal career.

Through connections is the only way I have heard of people gaining part-time TC's (although these were done alongside the GDL/ LPC at very small firms in niche areas). Just remember that most people who paralegal do not ever get offered TC's and stay at that level. If you prove yourself to excel at what you do and have stellar intellect and social skills, then maybe you can convince others to bend backwards for you. Good luck!

It's been very difficult studying for my undergraduate degree - when I started 3 years ago, I was unable to queue for 20 minutes for canteen dinner, I am now able to work consistently around 6 hours a day. If there's one thing I do not lack its determination - not going out once during a freshers week was tough, but not doing anything with your life is tougher.

I won't comment on my personality, as any attempt to would seem, yes, subjective and perhaps reflect what I want people to see as opposed to what I am like - but generally I believe I am very good socially, so yes, perhaps this would help.

Luckily I do have some contacts within law, so maybe this would be a possible route. I think if I was to paralegal, it would have to be based conditionally on there at least being the possibility of a TC somewhere down the line. However, realistically if it got to that stage, I think I would go into a 'legal' related aspect of work - but not the solicitor route I hope for.

Thank-you for your replies.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think you can formally apply for a p/t tc or at least ive never seen them advertised.

You would have to get into a firm and have some strings pulled for you at partner level. I dint think it would carry much weight in a large firm as they have so many paralegals these days. Everything is geared towards f/t.

The problem you have is how do you broach the fact you have chronic fatigue without them getting concerned of how it wll affect yours and by default other peoples work? A small firm that knows you cna make allowances for that, but a commercial medium or large firm I think will have less time for you. I'm sure some people must do p/t, but I vet they have been at their training firms a long time.

That raises the issue of how you are going to fund your GDL and LPC? Are you intending to try and become a paralegal without them?

Any chance you will make a recovery? Thats where my focus would be.

Yeah, I believe that problem dissolves if my work is at an acceptable standard.

I have mentioned below, I will be aiming for small firms, who would be able to get to know me better (due to size of firm) and as such be more accommodating.

Luckily, my GDL and LPC can be privately funded (through myself and parents).

There is a chance of me making a full recovery, however if I am to look at my general trend of health improvements - recovering enough to work full time, at a rough estimate is 4 years away, each year I have improved within university and my friends and family believe or 'believe' depending on whether you think they are speaking based on some psycholgocial deterministic fact, that I will fully recover - it's just more a matter of when.

I mentioned to the previous poster, that if not, I would be able I assume to utilise this combination of GDL & LPC, which at UOL/BPP I *think* can be made into a LLB, and contingently use this by going into an area of work, involving legal work - but not a solicitors.

Thank-you for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending