The Student Room Group

20 Years In The UK !

Today, 14 November 2016, I am marking 20 years since my arrival in London, the UK to live here.
I was aged 13 then and had never been to the United Kingdom before.
However, by then, I had spent 4 years and 2 months living abroad, outside of my native country.

This is a bit of a milestone, a significant date and event !

London is a nice, vibrant and special city, the UK is a friendly, colorful and unique country and place, with good people.

A big thank you to the UK for everything and for what you have given me - those were not small things !

Thank you for the help and providing a place for me over the 20 years. It has been an adventure to live here !
(edited 7 years ago)
Very welcome friend, here's to another 20 years - unless you fancy a change of scenery :h:
Reply 2
Original post by NoPunInThisName
Very welcome friend, here's to another 20 years - unless you fancy a change of scenery :h:

Thank you very much and thanks for the nice words ! It is a good way to put it !
No I do not want to leave in the near future, and - if realistically possible - I would like to remain and keep living here in the short to longer term.
I have been here in the UK for most of my life.
Though you never know of course - things change and life is unpredictable. It can take you anywhere and everywhere - and that includes different places and locations.
Like they say - never say never !
Reply 3
Where are you originally from and what do you do now?
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
Where are you originally from and what do you do now?

I am originally from Moscow, the Russian Federation. I was born in the Soviet Union.
But I left my country in 1992 to go and live abroad with my family.
Now I work - I am helping out a family member on various occasions, here in London.
Apart from that, I do my own activities, like growing vegetables at home in my flat, reading about politics online and making my own posts, looking up geographical stuff online, occasionally listening to music, seeking communication and contacts etc.
Reply 5
Sounds like you're living a very happy life there. Hope you enjoy your future years in the UK! Personally, I would like to experience other countries as I've lived here all my life (almost 24 years).
Reply 6
Original post by Deanio
Sounds like you're living a very happy life there. Hope you enjoy your future years in the UK! Personally, I would like to experience other countries as I've lived here all my life (almost 24 years).

Thank you !
I would not necessarily describe it as very happy - but it is OK, it is fine. It is good. I definitely had great moments and nice events and adventures here, like I said in the text of my thread.
But it is a good country, it is a nice place. Although of course, every country has its own advantages and disadvantages.
It is just that everyone lives their own life, somewhat differently from others, etc.
Thanks for your nice wishes - I might stay here for a few more years, maybe even longer than that, this is not clear at the moment, who knows. In part, it depends on how things work out and whether it is manageable for me to remain here completely on my own.
But there is a possibility I may relocate elsewhere with my family, or I might even come back to my native country. Like I said before, life is unpredictable.

Then you were about 4 when I arrived here !

OK, that's nice ! Good luck with getting a chance to experience other countries then. And good luck to you in general !
Reply 7
Original post by Vlad83
I am originally from Moscow, the Russian Federation. I was born in the Soviet Union.....
If u can tell me how to type an e backwards I would appreciate it.

Meantime, here's this
Reply 8
Original post by NJA
If u can tell me how to type an e backwards I would appreciate it.

Meantime, here's this

Sorry but I do not know at all how to type an e backwards.
What is it in the context of ?

Thank you for the musical link, that is nice, good song !
This is Ukraine, and Sir Paul McCartney must have been to Russia twice, at least.
Reply 9
Original post by Vlad83
Sorry but I do not know at all how to type an e backwards.
What is it in the context of ?

I often see it used in Russian words, I just looked it up, it's called the Cyrillic e.
(After Saint Cyril)

Now I can just copy & paste it!

Soviэt Rэpublic
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by NJA
I often see it used in Russian words, I just looked it up, it's called the Cyrillic e.
(After Saint Cyril)

Now I can just copy & paste it!

Soviэt Rэpublic

OK thanks for explaining.
Good job for finding and researching that !

But actually, that is not how the "Soviet Republic" is written - either in English or in Russian.
In Russian, you would write it not with the reverse e but with the standard e.
Yes there is that letter in the Russian alphabet though.
Reply 11
Original post by Vlad83
But actually, that is not how the "Soviet Republic" is written - either in English or in Russian.
In Russian, you would write it not with the reverse e but with the standard e.
Yes there is that letter in the Russian alphabet though.

Yep, u r right.

Hope you get to explore outside of London ... the best time is not the Winter.
Reply 12
Original post by NJA
Yep, u r right.

Hope you get to explore outside of London ... the best time is not the Winter.

Thank you !
But winter is a great season actually - but maybe not necessarily for sightseeing.

I did explore outside of London, long ago - and it is definitely worth it of course.
I have been to places like Norwich, Oxford, Liverpool, Manchester, Brighton, possibly Birmingham too, the Isle of Wight.
And I have been to Scotland too - Edinburgh, Glasgow etc.
Reply 13
Original post by Vlad83
Thank you !
But winter is a great season actually - but maybe not necessarily for sightseeing.

Richmond Park is nice in Winter, there are deer and cafes
Reply 14
aww....
Reply 15
Original post by NJA
Richmond Park is nice in Winter, there are deer and cafes

That's great. Thanks !
congrats!!!!!!!!!! :h:
Reply 17
Original post by retro_turtles
congrats!!!!!!!!!! :h:

Thank you very much !