The Student Room Group

"Unemployed" for past couple months due to personal projects, where to put on CV?

personal projects (long story short) being a property portfolio, where to put this on my CV if applying for a legal role in particular or TC? i assume i can't put it under employment or legal work experience? would it go under "other interests and hobbies"? or do i devote a tiny section exclusively on this?

and before/if you ask: aside from it being a nightmare and a very steep learning curve, i couldn't have held a full-time "employment" job (without getting fired due to conflict) and be able to do what i've done at the same time.
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Did you make any money out of it? If so, it is self-employment and can be under your work experience section. Just needs carefully explaining.

Seen very similar things on CVs under work experience anyway.

yes but the thing is HMRC doesn't class property investing [as opposed to trading] as self employment because the income is regarded as investment income - should i just stick it under work experience anyway? what do you mean when you say it needs carefully explaining? also, i don't know what to title this particular "work experience" in my CV (everything is owned through my name rather than a company)...
It sounds like you've bought a house, done it up and sold it on. Right?

It's difficult to classify this as 'employment' unless it was done as part of a business, as you've said already regarding HMRC. It's essentially a hobby. I would thus put it under 'hobbies and interests' - that way you can't be accused of making something up or inflating something.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
It sounds like you've bought a house, done it up and sold it on. Right?

It's difficult to classify this as 'employment' unless it was done as part of a business, as you've said already regarding HMRC. It's essentially a hobby. I would thus put it under 'hobbies and interests' - that way you can't be accused of making something up or inflating something.

Original post by random163
yes but the thing is HMRC doesn't class property investing [as opposed to trading] as self employment because the income is regarded as investment income - should i just stick it under work experience anyway? what do you mean when you say it needs carefully explaining? also, i don't know what to title this particular "work experience" in my CV (everything is owned through my name rather than a company)...

nope, what i've done is more similar to a landlord/developer than anything else. although i may not be classed as self-employed (no NI obligations), i am taxed and can claim expenses/losses against profit as if it is any other business.
if i was to put it under hobbies (which is a tiny section in itself), i'm afraid it'll easily be overlooked?
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't think something like that was out of place if I saw it under the work experience or employment section of a CV.
Original post by random163

It's a good thing you're writing out a CV, not a tax return.

Tbh I would probably think nothing of seeing this under 'employment' - it seems the most sensible place to put it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending