The Student Room Group
Reply 2
Bah. I fail to see why there should be a different minimum wage for someone who is 18 and working to that for someone who's 22 and working... They don't, after all, take qualifications into account. So why?!
Reply 3
becouse 22 year olds just deserve more :tongue:

i've no idea though to be honest.
Reply 4
MadNatSci
Bah. I fail to see why there should be a different minimum wage for someone who is 18 and working to that for someone who's 22 and working... They don't, after all, take qualifications into account. So why?!

Because it's okay to discriminate against age, but discriminate against women and you get your balls removed and have to pay enough money to purchase a small west-african country in the enivitable court case.
Reply 5
calumc
Because it's okay to discriminate against age, but discriminate against women and you get your balls removed and have to pay enough money to purchase a small west-african country in the enivitable court case.

But it isn't OK to discriminate against age... at least, not if you're over 50 it isn't. I guess if you're under 25 exploitation is allowed *bah again*
Reply 6
maybe its to do with life experience, or the fact a 22 year old needs more money, they may have a wife (or husband) or kids and need more money, its more likey that a 22 year old will have a family to support than an 18 year old or a 16 year old.
Reply 7
calumc

Laws against agism are coming in soon which will probably make this difference unlawful.
Reply 8
My work give me the over 21 minimum wage (£4.75) and I'm 16 and still in full time education.
Reply 9
If you were a small business and had to pay an 18 year old with no experience, or a 22 year old with 4 years experience, which one would you pick?

Now if the 18 year old came cheaper, would that affect your decision?
Its the same reason why there isn't a minimum wage for 16 year olds. Theres not much incentive to employ them if you can get an adult for the same wage, so the 16 year old never gets any experience.
Reply 10
Vladek
maybe its to do with life experience, or the fact a 22 year old needs more money, they may have a wife (or husband) or kids and need more money, its more likey that a 22 year old will have a family to support than an 18 year old or a 16 year old.

I'm practically married to my mates gf. In so much that i pay for him to take her out places because he cant. Does that count cos I am paid twice the minimum wage for a 22 yr old and i'm only 19!! :tongue:
Reply 11
SciFi25
I'm practically married to my mates gf. In so much that i pay for him to take her out places because he cant. Does that count cos I am paid twice the minimum wage for a 22 yr old and i'm only 19!! :tongue:

Go you! Well, i decided that i would look around due to crappy pay even though it was min wage. Got offered another part time job over the summer, current employer didn't want me to go. So am now on £5.00ph, which is really good for a small town in the South West. :smile: Just shows what u can do if u look around.
Reply 12
The reason you get paid more with age is because at 16 you're likely to not have many bills and £4 an hour you could have a lot of spare money from that.

When you get to 22 £8 an hour probably isn't even enough espeicaly if you have mortages etc...

It is not economical for employers to pay 16 year olds the same as 30 year olds, if they did they are more likely to pay a 30 year old the same money and not employ younger people at all. The only reason shops like younger part time staff is because they are cheap.

Latest

Trending

Trending