The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

(Question) International Business and Japanese(Need help)

Hello

So i am in Year 13 and im really intrested in this course but i have several questions which id appreciate if anyone could answer:

Do i need to now any Japanese before applying for it?( i already have learnt Hiragana and Katakana in terms of pronouncation and reading. but NOT writing.Btw i dont now any Kanji)

What will i study more Language or Business?

What careers could i apply for after the end of the 4 years?

I plan on taking out student loans for the 4 years but could i receieve help in terms of funding?
by funding i mean recieving money to travel to and from my house in Bradford to leeds and back each day.

OR are there dorms i can stay in onsite? if so are they free? meaning are they covered under the total of £33K student loans which ill be taking out? If they are covered then who pays for stuff like food? do i need to pay?

Could i recieve help in terms of funding from the government or uni? i mean my situation is complicated meaning that mom and dad are divorced. Dad is on the doll but mom works 2 jobs and still finds it hard to get by! i checked the leeds uni site and YES my mom recieves less than the required amount needed for funding.

But what is the funding for? could i use it for food if the dorms are free OR could i use it to pay for bus there and back?

Lastly, in the 2nd year of the course we are studying abroad and i have a few questions about this too:

Who pays for the flight ticket and the accomodation and the food whilest im in Japan? is it covered via the 33K? OR do i need to pay if so could i recieve funding due to my situation at home?

Any help would be amazing thank you very much P

P.S Im on track to get a

D* in business (Btec)
D* in health and social care(Btec)
B or C in Applied Science(A level)

and for GCSEs i got

A* in ECDL ICT
B in English Language
B in Btec Business
C in English Litreature
C in Maths
C in Biology
C in Law
C in RE
D in Chemistry

Also is anyone doing this course atm? if so how is it?
It's supposed to be a 50/50 split, but you'll be parented by the language school and end up doing more Japanese than business. I think my friend did like 3 business modules in first year.

The £33,000 you talk about, I'm a bit lost what you mean by that? Is that your 4 years of tuition fees? If so you never see that money, you have to apply to student finance and they pay it straight to the uni.

If you are a UK student and have the right to apply as such you can apply for a maintenance loan. How much you get depends on the income of the people you live with. If you have a parent living elsewhere, their income doesn't get taken into account. You can apply for this whether or not you decide to live in Leeds, or stay at home in bradford, but you will get less if you choose to live at home (but obviously your costs will be much lower)

If you want to live in university accommodation you will have to pay for this. Some or all of this will be covered by your loan, depending on which halls you apply for, and how much loan you get. If you choose catered accommodation some meals will be provided for you. I believe that weekdays this is breakfast and dinner (evening meal) and brunch on weekends. This means you will still need to buy lunch separately, as well as any snacks you want. If you choose self catered you will have to pay for your own food and meals.

If your household is under a certain amount (around £42,000 a year I think it is) then there are a number of funding options you can look at, these will all be on the university's website under 'funding' what you spend this money on is up to you. These will usually be grants and scholarships, so as long as you meet the terms you won't have to pay them back.

YOU will pay for your ticket, accommodation and food and visa applications and stuff for your year abroad. The university offers some support, but there will be pressure on you to pay for a decent amount of it, it can be expensive. As far as I am aware you can still apply for maintenance loan whilst there, but that will be repayable as tuition loan is.

I also think you need to take a look at the entry requirements for the course again. Your GCSE's may prevent your access, as the course requires "GCSE Mathematics at grade B, plus a GCSE in a modern foreign language at grade C or above"

It may be worth emailing the university to ask if they will accept your GCSE's, otherwise you will have to look at resitting these
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
It's supposed to be a 50/50 split, but you'll be parented by the language school and end up doing more Japanese than business. I think my friend did like 3 business modules in first year.

The £33,000 you talk about, I'm a bit lost what you mean by that? Is that your 4 years of tuition fees? If so you never see that money, you have to apply to student finance and they pay it straight to the uni.

If you are a UK student and have the right to apply as such you can apply for a maintenance loan. How much you get depends on the income of the people you live with. If you have a parent living elsewhere, their income doesn't get taken into account. You can apply for this whether or not you decide to live in Leeds, or stay at home in bradford, but you will get less if you choose to live at home (but obviously your costs will be much lower)

If you want to live in university accommodation you will have to pay for this. Some or all of this will be covered by your loan, depending on which halls you apply for, and how much loan you get. If you choose catered accommodation some meals will be provided for you. I believe that weekdays this is breakfast and dinner (evening meal) and brunch on weekends. This means you will still need to buy lunch separately, as well as any snacks you want. If you choose self catered you will have to pay for your own food and meals.

If your household is under a certain amount (around £42,000 a year I think it is) then there are a number of funding options you can look at, these will all be on the university's website under 'funding' what you spend this money on is up to you. These will usually be grants and scholarships, so as long as you meet the terms you won't have to pay them back.

YOU will pay for your ticket, accommodation and food and visa applications and stuff for your year abroad. The university offers some support, but there will be pressure on you to pay for a decent amount of it, it can be expensive. As far as I am aware you can still apply for maintenance loan whilst there, but that will be repayable as tuition loan is.

I also think you need to take a look at the entry requirements for the course again. Your GCSE's may prevent your access, as the course requires "GCSE Mathematics at grade B, plus a GCSE in a modern foreign language at grade C or above"

It may be worth emailing the university to ask if they will accept your GCSE's, otherwise you will have to look at resitting these

Yeah by 33K i am referring to tution fees since the maximum is 9K a year or so i hear.My mom earns 9K a year from both jobs. And i was born in the U.K and havent left abroad at all.What are my chances of a busary or some form of funding? and how much is this funding usually? For a student of my financial situation?Regarding the year in Japan. I can easily pay for food,the tickets with loans or whatever funding the uni provide. But i am worried about the actual accomodation and visa you mentioned? what is visa and do i need to apply for it? How much is visa applications? Also how much do u think accomodation costs could be? Based on your friend who did something similar?Also regarding maths and the forigen language. I do believe i could get away with maths since i mean kmon literally everyone is stuck resitting maths these days. I mean i personally was part of the maths students who had to sit the infamous "Hannahs sweets" questionAlso forigen languages? why would i need that? i mean my english is at a B and i am from an ethnic minority so i already now a different "home" language? I now you cant answer the last 2 questions but it does baffle me regarding thoose two aspects. Plus resitting just isnt an option for me.Ive contacted the leeds uni admissions officer. Im hoping she can give me concrete advice since the only uni course i like is THIS one.Thanks for your reply. i appreciate the help
Reply 3
Hi,
I'm a first year doing Japanese at UoL so hopefully I can help you with some of your questions.

Do i need to now any Japanese before applying for it? - No, you don't. It is a good idea to learn Hiragana and katakana before coming though because you will have tests on both of these writing systems in week 1 or 2, and the teachers don't really take time out to teach you these

I don't do business, so I can't really answer many of the questions you have about it - sorry! However the Japanese course is VERY intensive and it is 9 hours a week, so you will probably end up spending more time in Japanese modules in a week than in business modules

If you want to know more about funding and accommodation then I think you need to do a bit more research - ask Student finance, go to the accommodation open day at Leeds

In terms of the 2nd year abroad, you have to pay for your own flight ticket and living costs in Japan, however rent and eating out in Japan is significantly cheaper than Leeds so you should be able to cover it ok with your loan, however when applying for a visa you may have to prove that you have access to £x,xxx in your account (I can't remember the exact amount, I've only had one meeting on this so far so not entirely sure)

Please don't worry about visa's at this stage - I haven't even started applying for mine and I'm going in 9 months :P There are meetings scheduled throughout the year in terms of the year abroad process. You aren't expected to know how to do all this on your own. The people organizing these meetings are helpful and give a lot of info, so for now just worry about actually getting the grades haha

And lastly the course is amazing, all the teachers are very, very patient and helpful, it is very intense and sometimes you feel like ripping your hair out so if you would consider yourself a lazy person who doesn't like a lot of self independent learning (kanji and vocabulary is learnt entirely on your own for tests) then I wouldn't opt for choosing Japanese

Quick Reply

Latest