The Student Room Group

Passion, or education?

I've recently hit a setback following a major operation, and I need some help.

I had my heart set on the BA Applied Languages at the University of Portsmouth. I currently reside in Bournemouth. The course is absolutely perfect and I can't think of any other subject I am more passionate about.

I've trained in martial arts for 8 years, and I'm currently 3 tags away from black belt. Although my black belt will come dependent on ability and training, I could obtain it within 2 years at my club. My martial arts is incredibly, incredibly important to me - if I had the choice, I'd train 5 times a week all day and forget education - so you can see it means a lot. (I'm not going to do that yet).

With the way events have taken place, I've come to the realization that I'm not going to get my black belt anytime soon, if I complete my current 2/5 day a week training and join university in October of 2017. (I would train more weekly, however my parents have said I have to revise and complete studies for A Levels).

If I enter university at October 2017 and simultaneously want to complete my black belt, it'll take me twice as long as other members of my club and those I'm currently in line with, as they have the opportunity to attend up to 5 sessions a week, with most doing 3 - this is what I was doing before Year 13. I could do this at uni, but it would mean a 4 hour round trip 3 times a week to get there - I get free train travel, which is great, but how long I could put up with it with the addition of university life may be a bit too much.

If I were to defer my university entry until 2018, I would (potentially) be able to obtain my black belt in time for entry in October 2018, as I would train 4-5 times a week. I came to this discussion following a lengthy discussion with my teacher, and my mum - who has since changed her mind about this being a good idea.

I've now been told if I don't go to university this year, I won't be able to stay at my home anymore - so I don't really have the option to defer my entry. The decision my parents have made has totally changed my mood and for the past week, I couldn't care less if I went to university or not - all my motivation has gone out the window. The course I've found is absolutely ideal and it's not the course/uni's fault at all, but I now don't have any drive or direction.

A suggestion on my mum's part was to find a course at Bournemouth University, so I can train more than 3 times a week and obtain my black belt - but, there's no languages at BU, and I don't really know what I would do there.

This leads me onto my second problem, which I'll make a new post for and link here, as this post is already pretty lengthy. If anyone could offer any advice or word of encouragement then that'd be great.

I'm panicking, as I'm questioning motives and the UCAS deadline is in little over 1 week.
Couldnt you move clubs closer to uni? I do wado-ki and even managed to find another club after mine closed down and its not a really popular discipline!
Reply 2
You're under no obligation to go to uni. You can apply via UCAS, get offers, accept an offer, meet the conditions, accept a place, apply for Student Finance and *still* decide not to go to uni. You don't have to actually commit to uni until you start there next September, if you want to run it that close. You can go to uni at any time in your life, so it's not like you can't go later on if you end up wanting to.

So for the moment, I would apply as best you can. It keeps that option open just in case you feel differently in a few months' time, it gives you some breathing space to figure things out further, plus it might help keep the peace with your parents.

The bottom line is that your martial arts are a hobby. Obviously a very serious one for you, but just a hobby. Many people - me included - would prefer to concentrate on their hobbies or passions, but instead need to focus on what will pay their bills or get them on in life. It's possible that you need to get a little more realistic about the role that martial arts will play in your life over the next few years.
Original post by VikkiHanley
Couldnt you move clubs closer to uni? I do wado-ki and even managed to find another club after mine closed down and its not a really popular discipline!

I could move clubs, but it'd mean starting at white belt again, and paying a whole new set of money to a club I'm not entirely at home with. I would, but if it's a decent club then it'd take me forever to get to black belt. Also, I know that the standard of my club in Bournemouth is very high - it's a regional competitive club that produces British champions, so I know that if I get my black belt with my club, I really am deserving of it, you know? I'm also an established member of the southern England squad and if I left, it'd be like losing my family if I changed club - that's why I tried to pick somewhere fairly local to begin with. If I change club, I may as well look at uni far away from home.

(But thank you for your suggestion) :smile:
Original post by lahmejacks
I could move clubs, but it'd mean starting at white belt again, and paying a whole new set of money to a club I'm not entirely at home with. I would, but if it's a decent club then it'd take me forever to get to black belt. Also, I know that the standard of my club in Bournemouth is very high - it's a regional competitive club that produces British champions, so I know that if I get my black belt with my club, I really am deserving of it, you know? I'm also an established member of the southern England squad and if I left, it'd be like losing my family if I changed club - that's why I tried to pick somewhere fairly local to begin with. If I change club, I may as well look at uni far away from home.

(But thank you for your suggestion) :smile:

If its the same dicipline you should not have to change belts, I have a second dan brown belt and have been to atleast 3 different clubs and graded in each. I just had an induction showed my certificates and belts and they asked me to show my latest grading sylabus at one but I always kept the same belt. Aside from teaching styles everything was the same.
Original post by VikkiHanley
If its the same dicipline you should not have to change belts, I have a second dan brown belt and have been to atleast 3 different clubs and graded in each. I just had an induction showed my certificates and belts and they asked me to show my latest grading sylabus at one but I always kept the same belt. Aside from teaching styles everything was the same.

That's really useful information, I'll take a look. Thanks x
Original post by lahmejacks
That's really useful information, I'll take a look. Thanks x

No problem! Best of luck with getting your blackbelt! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending