The Student Room Group

Islamophobia awareness month in the UK

Islamophobia awareness month is run by a group called Muslim Engagement and Development (Mend) and is running all month long with support from local police services and national charities.

"MEND is one of the founding members of Islamophobia Awareness Month (IAM). Every November various Muslim and non-Muslim organisations hold events, seminars, discussions and conferences to raise awareness of the rising tide of hate crimes against Muslims." Taken from the Mend website.

There are a number of events all over the UK scheduled in the coming weeks and I'll post a link to them below. Is anyone thinking of going or contributing to the events, is Islamophobia really such a widespread problem in the UK that an awareness month is needed ?

3A7054C900000578-3941926-image-m-95_1479299905447.jpg

http://mend.org.uk/iam2016/

Scroll to see replies

The triggering 2.0 about to begin.
Brace yourselves people!!
They can do this all they want, until Muslims sort out their own ****, enough people won't buy it.
Original post by sleepysnooze
islam is a homophobic, misognynist, paedophilic and barbaric religion. how is being against islam a "phobia" when a phobia, i.e. "agoraphobia" or "clostrophobia", is an irrational fear? if I'm fearful of people who might be hostile to gay people or women, am I irrational? that's what such a term implies, and it's ridiculous. what's next, communistophobia? nazi-ophobia? paedophilophobia?

I'm not sure that's how the word works when conjoined to for a physiological condition, for example, acrophobia is a fear of heights. It is perfectly rational to be afraid of heights IMO.

Arachnophobia is a legitimate fear for most as we aren't knowledgeable to know which spiders are poisonous and which aren't, so having a 'phobia' of them all seems prudent.
Reply 5
Okay, so I hate the term Islamophobia, and the ridiculous pandering to Islam we see on the left and in the media in general, but you have to recognise that there is a problem with discrimination against Muslims based on their faith, and there is a problem with hate crimes (not that I think these deserve a separate legal categorisation, but there you go). Yes, Islam is a fundamentally disgusting ideology, in the whole. But I don't see what is so wrong about recognising the unjust abuse of people based on their religion, especially considering the great variability in beliefs (being muslim =/= being against homosexuality, for instance).
Normally I'd probably just dis Islam and nothing more in a thread like this, but had a few drinks so feeling nicer...
Reply 6
Original post by Al-farhan
The triggering 2.0 about to begin.
Brace yourselves people!!

Well that didn't take long rofl
if muslims are defined by their adherence to islam (an immoral religion), then "islamophobia" is still an inappropriate word because why is it an "irrational" fear?

But all aren't, interpretations vary.
Original post by HandiCapanda
I'm not sure that's how the word works when conjoined to for a physiological condition, for example, acrophobia is a fear of heights. It is perfectly rational to be afraid of heights IMO.

Arachnophobia is a legitimate fear for most as we aren't knowledgeable to know which spiders are poisonous and which aren't, so having a 'phobia' of them all seems prudent.

How do you rationalise a fear of balloons or a fear of clowns? None of them have the ability to hurt or injure and there is no evolutionary reason to be scared of such things. That is if you believe in evolution of course.
yall just need to give each other hugs man
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
How do you rationalise a fear of balloons or a fear of clowns? None of them have the ability to hurt or injure and there is no evolutionary reason to be scared of such things. That is if you believe in evolution of course.

I don't have to, I simply have to demonstrate the logical inconsistency of the application of the connotation 'phobia'. It is not exclusively applied to irrational fears, partly because the rationality of having fear is subjective anyway.
:lol: interpretations of what, exactly? the very explicit statements from the prophet mohammad? i.e. how women can never practice authority over a man, and only get half of a brother's inheritance money if she's his sister? the fact that the penalty for homosexuality is death? the fact that you can take the women of your enemies in war as wives (virtual sex slaves)? the fact that you're allowed to marry whatever age child you want? the fact that a woman is to be punished for being raped if she didn't have two male witnesses or didn't scream loud enough to bring enough witnesses onto the scene? I mean, you're pretty optimistic here, aren't you? to suppose that such mandates are "subject to interpretation"...

Well yeah, it could be argued that those statements were made with the time period in mind. This method of 'cherry picking' commandments to follow is not exclusive to Islam.

So in the spirit of synchronicity as a gay is it ok to co-join my islamophobia and my acrophobia to deal with my fear of being thrown off a high building by homophobic muslims?
Original post by caravaggio2
So in the spirit of synchronicity as a gay is it ok to co-join my islamophobia and my acrophobia to deal with my fear of being thrown off a high building by homophobic muslims?

I could argue that your fear of heights is unjustified as it's the ground/gravity/velocity that will kill you, hence acrophobia isn't a rational fear ?
There is genuine bigotry against Muslims in our society, and this is not acceptable.

However, "Islamophobia" has become a grossly overused term to silence debate. Regressive lefties and SJWs will accuse anyone who makes a valid criticism of Islam as being "Islamophobic". No religion or ideology should be impervious to criticism.

Ironically, when these regressive lefties deny that Islam has any problems, they impede reforms within the Islamic community.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it should be followed by an 'Islam Awareness Month'. Thirty days of news stories about stonings, hangings, honour killings and Islamism in the Middle East, and reminders of all the police cover-ups of crimes against women, children and homosexuals in Europe.

We can also have a contest where we send LGBT and atheist progressives to Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the Islamic world. Whoever lasts the whole month without being executed wins.

Kids at school won't miss out on the fun, either. They'll get to experience a month of life under Sharia, as well as field trips to real life beheadings (gender segregated, of course).
Well yeah, it could be argued that those statements were made with the time period in mind.

ohh right, so divine truth is culturally relative...makes a lot of sense, doesn't it
muslims typically don't justify it that way though - in fact, the middle east is essentially a dark age society. iron age at best. people still get flogged, publicly beheaded, jailed for religious crimes, etc. and most muslims in the west either come from that culture, or had parents from that culture, whom raised them with those teachings. you can tell me that there are "liberal muslims" until you're blue in the face, but statistics in this country show that muslims are actually more radical in this current generation than they were in the previous one, i.e. more of them justifying islamic terrorism, and wanting sharia law.

This method of 'cherry picking' commandments to follow is not exclusive to Islam.

except muslims come from a culture where they actually follow the religion. hence why places like pakistan have children being threatened with death from public courts for supposedly burning pages of the qur'an...and pakistan isn't even the worst place. saudi arabia and afghanistan are *far* worse than pakistan.
christians haven't followed christianity in hundreds of years, really. in europe, they went through an enlightenmnet where they essentially secularised christianity in light with the more noble morals of that time and this current age too. the fundamentalism of christianity then was shed. nothing similar happened to islam.
(edited 7 years ago)
ohh right, so divine truth is culturally relative...makes a lot of sense, doesn't it
muslims typically don't justify it that way though - in fact, the middle east is essentially a dark age society. iron age at best. people still get flogged, publicly beheaded, jailed for religious crimes, etc.

except muslims come from a culture where they actually follow the religion. hence why places like pakistan have children being threatened with death from public courts for supposedly burning pages of the qur'an...and pakistan isn't even the worst place. saudi arabia and afghanistan are *far* worse than pakistan.
christians haven't followed christianity in hundreds of years, really. in europe, they went through an enlightenmnet where they essentially secularised christianity in light with the more noble morals of that time and this current age too. the fundamentalism of christianity then was shed. nothing similar happened to islam.

We are digressing here in to a analysis of the Koran, the contention is whether there can be such a thing as Islamophobia, Phobia, the word itself, as a noun refers to an irrational fear and you claim that there cannot be an irrational fear of Islam. For the sake of argument I grant this premise in bold, however;

I would argue that while the word is synonymous with irrationality, as a suffix there are also rational fears that used this term showing an inconstancy in the claim that a fear must be irrational to have the suffix -phobia.

So, if can can demonstrate the logical inconsistency of the application of the suffix 'phobia' would you then agree to the existence of Islamophobia as a concept ?
Original post by Dandaman1
I think it should be followed by an 'Islam Awareness Month'. Thirty days of news stories about stonings, hangings, honour killings and Islamism in the Middle East, and reminders of all the police cover-ups of crimes against women, children and homosexuals in Europe.

We can also have a contest where we send LGBT and atheist progressives to Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the Islamic world. Whoever lasts the whole month without being executed wins.

Kids at school won't miss out on the fun, either. They'll get to experience a month of life under Sharia, as well as field trips to real life beheadings (gender segregated, of course).

PRSOM.
Original post by Dandaman1

Great post. :smile:

It is hard to know who are more contemptible. Islamists or Western liberal apologists for Islamism.

But if you want to know why liberalism has failed politically throughout the west, and we are witnessing its intellectual bankruptcy in country after country, followed by political defeat after defeat, you can't point to a better example than its moral cowardice and stupidity in the face of Muslim terrorism.

Try and pretend there is no connection between Islam and terrorism if you want liberals. Promote this nonsense of "Islamophobia" (sic) to your hearts' content.

Just don't ever expect to get into office, into power. Refusing to accept Isalmic terrorism is electoral kryptonite. Poison.

Because outside your bubble, you Islamist liberals make make ordinary, decent voters want to puke. You totally disgust us.

Islamophobia. :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending