The Student Room Group

How to make new friends?

I've always felt quite isolated throughout my life and it gets me down a lot. I really want to make friends and meet new people but it is just something that I find difficult to do. I'm also not close with many people in my family so I think that this has also contributed to my loneliness.
Reply 1
I'll be your friend

With benefits

The benefit of the doubt, that is.
I'll be your friend :smile:!

What are your hobbies? Try to join a club related to your hobbies, also join a few various clubs. Go the gym, the bookstore, library, =anything, if you see someone browsing the same book genre as yours, ask them questions, what are they into etc.

Volunteer, you can make friends there.

Also see what's around your local community, go to the library and check what's out there.
Original post by CleoB18
I've always felt quite isolated throughout my life and it gets me down a lot. I really want to make friends and meet new people but it is just something that I find difficult to do. I'm also not close with many people in my family so I think that this has also contributed to my loneliness.

I get that, I'm actually in my second year of sixth form and i don't really have any mates (partially because i'm working constantly, and all my friends are at my old school). Maybe try talking to people a little bit, either online or in person, and you can gradually get closer to them, and see if you have anything in common with them. It'll work out :smile: There are so many people in this world, you'll definitely find some great friends eventually :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CarysJSLewis
I get that, I'm actually in my second year of sixth form and i don't really have any mates (partially because i'm working constantly, and all my friends are at my old school). Maybe try talking to people a little bit, either online or in person, and you can gradually get closer to them, and see if you have anything in common with them. It'll work out :smile: There are so many people in this world, you'll definitely find some great friends eventually :smile:

It's kinda the same thing because I went to a different school to my sixth form so it's been kinda hard to break into a friendship group. I have tried talking to people but I think I do need to try harder. Hopefully uni will be a lot better. thanks :smile:
talk about what you enjoy with other people :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by CarysJSLewis

^ im at the same place as this really. I'm sort of waiting for uni too. OP I hope things work out For you. Online friends are cool :biggrin:. So message me!
Original post by CleoB18
It's kinda the same thing because I went to a different school to my sixth form so it's been kinda hard to break into a friendship group. I have tried talking to people but I think I do need to try harder. Hopefully uni will be a lot better. thanks :smile:

Original post by TK_23
^ im at the same place as this really. I'm sort of waiting for uni too. OP I hope things work out For you. Online friends are cool :biggrin:. So message me!

im sorry but you guys shouldt be waiting until uni. dont wait for something to happen MAKE IT HAPPEN YOURSELF
Reply 8
Original post by CraigBackner
im sorry but you guys shouldt be waiting until uni. dont wait for something to happen MAKE IT HAPPEN YOURSELF

It's easier said than done to be fair. Yes I have people to talk to but I don't go out very much. I don't necessarily think it's something that's bad....
Original post by TK_23
It's easier said than done to be fair. Yes I have people to talk to but I don't go out very much. I don't necessarily think it's something that's bad....

isn't everything easier said than done?
if your happy being miserable unitl you go to uni then go do that
Reply 10
Original post by CraigBackner
isn't everything easier said than done?
if your happy being miserable unitl you go to uni then go do that

I never said I'm miserable ...
I'm just not gonna make as much of an effort in seeking new friends when I'm gonna start afresh next year....
Reply 11
Original post by TK_23
I never said I'm miserable ...
I'm just not gonna make as much of an effort in seeking new friends when I'm gonna start afresh next year....

Yeah I get what you mean, I just don't feel like i click with the people in my sixth form. Plus there are only a couple months left at school.
Reply 12
Original post by CleoB18
Yeah I get what you mean, I just don't feel like i click with the people in my sixth form. Plus there are only a couple months left at school.

Yeah! I'm glad you feel me :smile:
Original post by CleoB18

I do not know what age you are but sign up with www.Citysocializer.co.uk
The youngest person's picture i saw on it was 17 so if you are younger than that then you can sign up when you are older. It's free and you receive messages free from other people but if you want to contact those people back to go to different events with them you have to pay £6 66 a month

Also try www.MeetupLondon.com
That is completely free i think

And if you have never made friends your whole life it is not your fault even if someone is introverted or shy it is not their fault, it's just bad luck it never happened. It is because most people are *******s who think they are better than you and they made no effort to try to get to know you
Some people are luckier than other's to meet good friends
If you do not live in London still look at the websites and email them to ask if they have anything in your own area

Also type free friendship agencies on google
And voluntary groups
Original post by CleoB18

A friend told me about meet up london but i never tried it yet until now so the link to it on here does not work so you have to type London-Meetup on google

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending