The Student Room Group

Complicated financial situation - Need help!

So like the title suggests, this is a complicated situation for me and I'll try and keep it as simple as I can.

I left school 4 years ago and went to uni straight after, doing a Health and Social Studies. I hated it. Left a few months later.

Then I went to study nursing, and I loved it. However, due to mental health reasons, I left the course in just under a year.

I then decided that computing might be for me, and I actually stuck with this one the longest, done a year and a half. However, I had to pay for my first year at uni because SAAS were unable to fund it due to being at university three times. I also took out the student loan this time (decided not to in the first course and nursing gets a bursary).

I'm now working full time at a desk job. The wage is okay.

Now its been 3 years since I done the nursing course. I've had medical help with my mental health issues, I think maybe I was too naive when I first started the course. And overall I just feel ready to go back to nursing if I was able to get back (the lecturers might not be comfortable with me going back).

The problem is the funding. Because I had to pay for my first year in the computing course, I believe I will have to pay for 2 years of the course for nursing and its only a 3 year course. I would have to leave my current job and live off the bursary which is just not possible as the bursary money is significantly lower than what I am currently earning, and pretty much the whole bursary money would be going towards paying for the course (I'm also not sure if I would be entitled to 3 full years of bursary money due to having a years worth before).

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any clue if there is a way around this financial situation?

I have also looked into Open University for nursing which requires you to be a healthcare support assistant in a hospital setting to do the course, and the course is paid for you (not to mention you also get paid for your job).

Any advice would be really appreciated! If I could turn back time, I would have never went for that computing course. I can't shift this feeling of regret and its horrid :frown:
if you still need support for you mental health condition. i am sorry but i dont think you will pass the health screening. you would really need to speak to the university that you planned on attending. speak to their student support folks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending