The Student Room Group

Master in real estate finance - what are my chances??

Hey guys,

I am not too sure if I should apply for master or not due to my grades.
Here is my profile :
3rd yr BSc Economics international student in Bristol U
Only average 2:2 in my second year
Have three internship experiences, one in asset management two in a real estate developing firm.
Play sports in uni and used to run society back in high school.

I am considering
REF-Cambridge
International real estate & planning-UCL
Real estate economics and finance-LSE
Real estate investment-CASS

I didn't enjoy the modules I did in the second year, so I did badly. I know I will do well this year as they are optional and so far I enjoy them. Which means 2:1 is obtainable in my opinion. I am just wondering if I should apply now or wait until I get my January exam results? As of right now they probably will just reject me for only having 2:2. I know Cambridge is really ambitious but I just want to try my luck.
Do you guys think I stand a chance?
Reply 1
With a 2.2, you won't get into lse or Cambridge. That much is for certain. Even with a low 2.1, it might be tough to gain entry.
Reply 2
Original post by tutonic
With a 2.2, you won't get into lse or Cambridge. That much is for certain. Even with a low 2.1, it might be tough to gain entry.

Thanks!

What about UCL and CASS
Should I apply for more courses in these unis as I dont want to end up with no offers :frown:
You really cannot get a 2:2. You need to aim for a 1st really. You can get into cass with just a 2:1 but ucl/lse/cambridge will like to see a high 2:1/1st.
Reply 4
Original post by samantham999
You really cannot get a 2:2. You need to aim for a 1st really. You can get into cass with just a 2:1 but ucl/lse/cambridge will like to see a high 2:1/1st.

I know.. I am working really hard at the moment for the jan exam. I should do well given there aren't any essay type question (I always seem to do badly on those, not sure is it because of my English or.. :frown: ) Anyway, I know for sure I should get good results from jan exam, just not sure if I should wait until then cause I don't want the places to be filled before I submit mine. Nonetheless, the results should be a good indicator of how I will do in the end for them right?

Thanks
Reply 5
For the likes of Oxbridge and lse, they receive tons of applicants who get 1st or high 1st. Even though they mention that the minimum requirement is a 2.1, that's all that it is. The minimum. You'll be fighting with other candidates who have a first.

I myself will be applying to the lse for September 17 intake. Although I'll be applying to a different course, I'm not entirely confident I'll get in, even though I've maintained a high first average throughout my time here in my undergraduate. That's simply how competitive the spots are in these schools.

The only way I see you gaining entry is if you have something that sets you apart from other candidates that they're willing to 'overlook' tour relatively poor results.

I can't comment about cass or ucl.

You should consider applying to 'lower tier' schools as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by tutonic
For the likes of Oxbridge and lse, they receive tons of applicants who get 1st or high 1st. Even though they mention that the minimum requirement is a 2.1, that's all that it is. The minimum. You'll be fighting with other candidates who have a first.

I myself will be applying to the lse for September 17 intake. Although I'll be applying to a different course, I'm not entirely confident I'll get in, even though I've maintained a high first average throughout my time here in my undergraduate. That's simply how competitive the spots are in these schools.

The only way I see you gaining entry is if you have something that sets you apart from other candidates that they're willing to 'overlook' tour relatively poor results.

I can't comment about cass or ucl.

You should consider applying to 'lower tier' schools as well.

Thanks!

That's what I was worried about. I thought my work experiences are relevant and might give me an advantage, but definitely not enough for them to overlook my grades. I'm leaning more towards applying after jan results. And also considering other courses in different unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending