The Student Room Group

Drama school auditions/interviews - need help

Hi
So next week I have my first audition at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (23/10, BA Acting). I just need a little more advice on auditions and interviews:
1. Is it polite to ask an audition panel if I can perform a speech directly to them? I'm doing Rosalind from As You Like It for my Shakespeare speech and it directly addresses 2 separate people. If not, where should I perform it? Do I just look up?
2. I've done some research into interview questions that are commonly asked, so I have: Why do you want to be an actor; why do you want to train here in particular; tell us about the last play you saw/read; what actors do you admire; performances outside of school; character's journey in monologue, how do you your monologues contrast. Any additional ones?
3. What do I wear?
Thank you,
Charl
Reply 1
Original post by charld15
Hi
So next week I have my first audition at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (23/10, BA Acting). I just need a little more advice on auditions and interviews:
1. Is it polite to ask an audition panel if I can perform a speech directly to them? I'm doing Rosalind from As You Like It for my Shakespeare speech and it directly addresses 2 separate people. If not, where should I perform it? Do I just look up?
2. I've done some research into interview questions that are commonly asked, so I have: Why do you want to be an actor; why do you want to train here in particular; tell us about the last play you saw/read; what actors do you admire; performances outside of school; character's journey in monologue, how do you your monologues contrast. Any additional ones?
3. What do I wear?
Thank you,
Charl

Ask the panel when you get into the room. Some schools encourage you to do it to them and some schools absolutely detest it.

The interview doesn't matter no matter what they say. They ask a question, you answer. If they think you are a poor actor, that interview isn't going to win them over, however if they think you are an actor with potential, the interview would only come into account if you said something crazy like 'I want to be an actor, because I want to drive a Aston Martin' and even THEN depending on how talented you were I bet some schools would overlook it!

Wear clothes, they don't care what you wear. But if I was behind a table judging someone's acting ability and they had 'JUST DO IT' on their top, I might find it distracting because I'm a human being and not a panel robot.

I realise you're young and you're probably nervous, but it's important that their is a 50/50 balance on who need's what, when you enter that room or you will be unable to give your best performance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ThePlanB
Ask the panel when you get into the room. Some schools encourage you to do it to them and some schools absolutely detest it.

The interview doesn't matter no matter what they say. They ask a question, you answer. If they think you are a poor actor, that interview isn't going to win them over, however if they think you are an actor with potential, the interview would only come into account if you said something crazy like 'I want to be an actor, because I want to drive a Aston Martin' and even THEN depending on how talented you were I bet some schools would overlook it!

Wear clothes, they don't care what you wear. But if I was behind a table judging someone's acting ability and they had 'JUST DO IT' on their top, I might find it distracting because I'm a human being and not a panel robot.

I realise you're young and you're probably nervous, but it's important that their is a 50/50 balance on who need's what, when you enter that room or you will be unable to give your best performance.

Thanks for the help!
Hi,

Just another perspective to throw into the mix here from someone who sits on audition panels on a regular basis that may be of use:

1. Absolutely ask in regard to direct address, some people will indeed like it and some will not be in favour, but feel free to ask. For me personally, as the AD of a training organisation I very much want to be connected to the auditionee and therefore am quite happy for them to address the speech to myself and/or the panel, but some schools will not like that at all. I don't agree with that, but hey each to their own! All will write notes though so don't be put off by that either way!

2. The interview DOES very much matter. We are interviewing you for a number of reasons, that will all determine as to whether we think you are an actor who can be open to training. We will want to see if you are a team player, realistic, connected with the industry and aware of the world in which you are wishing to enter. We will also want to ensure you are open and available as a human being, not closed or arrogant, egotistical or self-centred. Acting is after all about relationships, it is not about you it is about the relationships you form and that requires you to be a good listener, open to others and receptive to redirection and constructive training and feedback- all of these things we get from the interview, and these things may in some cases outweigh your actual audition. As contrary to the opinions expressed above we can train pretty much anyone to be an actor within reason, but an open one, a generous one, and ultimately a successful one is very much dependent on the individual and NOT their ability to do a 2 minute speech. So in regard to the interview, listen be open and be yourself- we want to see who you are and what it is about you that may excite us- don't tell us or try to show us what you think an actor is or what you think we want to hear- honesty will always win the day in every way!

3. Wear clothes that are neutral, and as advised above without any big logos or distractions, although a little personality is always a nice thing, this can be communicated by a style of neutral clothing or perhaps the way you tie your hair, the shoes you wear or socks if your audition is a group setting. Although we have your photo as a reference point, when working in a group the panel will always like to be able to refer to someone by a clear reference point; the one with the 'red socks' for example etc etc. Something that stands you out from the rest, as long as that isn't 'the really loud one who won't let anyone else speak' you'll be fine!

Best of luck and enjoy the process- it should be fun and not like going to the dentist at all!
Reply 4
It's funny because I really don't believe any drama school can teach you to be a better actor, only life experience; good or bad. I think they are set there to teach you everything but acting (I could be wrong), but more importantly I believe you are there for a belonging, there's a third reason.... but that's got to do with business and that's very very subjective.

The reason why I said the interview doesn't matter is to change your mentality. Opinions are always subjective.
I was accepted into two top BA 3 year acting drama schools 7 years ago and in my opinion I was an egotistical, self centered, insecure individual with masses of potential, but I left the course for serious personal reasons, however I still got in...... and the interviews didn't get me into those schools, ability did.

Whilst I agree with some of the points regarding the interview, if you read into those points you are likely to go to your audition as an answering machine and when the real questions get asked, you will probably start stuttering and muttering.

If you really are connected to the art of acting and you really want to train, any question thrown at you shouldn't be an issue. However there are some drama schools that try very hard to make 17 year old's feel uncomfortable in the interview process and that's probably because they realise most people at that age aren't going to be able to handle 5 terms of training.

Always focus on what's in front of you, there's no telling what you are going to get... :smile: best of luck in your auditions!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending