The Student Room Group

Advice on moving in with boyfriend next year in these circumstances?

Ok hey guys, I've asked this question already on yahoo answers and I seem to get people bashing me for my boyfriend and I's plan... so if you could just give me helpful tips and anyone else who's been in a similar situation?

My boyfriend is looking to move up here around summer to live with me. I go to uni, however he wouldn't have a job obviously, he lives 8 hours away. Ideally he would have job interviews waiting for him before hand and I also would get a job. Between us we'd have £5,000 - £7,000 worth of savings so we'd be able to cover at least a years rent job free if it came to that. Would anyone accept us provided he's (hopefully) going to land a decent job as long as we can pay the rent etc? We'd be able to give a deposit and pay the one month up front that a lot of the places we've been looking at want. He also has personal issues and just wants to move on with his life and start fresh so that's why he wants to move up to be with me. Could anyone give me some helpful advice on how we would go about doing this? We don't want to nor plan to claim any sort of benefits either.
Could you get a parent to guarantee the rent? Landlords would be concerned about being paid IMO. I hope that it works-out for you both.
Original post by Anonymous
Could you get a parent to guarantee the rent? Landlords would be concerned about being paid IMO. I hope that it works-out for you both.

I could get my mum to do this, as right now I pay her half my student loan for my rent, so she would be open to the idea of me giving a portion and covering the rest but, based on my student loan + 2 jobs, it should hopefully be ok. Plus she gets an allowance for me at university. My only issue is that they wont allow us to rent if we don't get jobs in time. I don't want to live with other students as personally I feel better on my own or with a partner.
Typically in your situation a landlord/ letting agency would like to see an up front commitment to 6 months rent in my experience. This is certainly going to be the most straight forward solution for you. I recently had to do similar, and paying them down in a lump just made everything easier.

Hope it works out for you.
Most of the time your income will need to be about 2.5x the rent for your rental application to be approved, so you would have to ask on an individual basis for each property.
Original post by BigJimSlade
Typically in your situation a landlord/ letting agency would like to see an up front commitment to 6 months rent in my experience. This is certainly going to be the most straight forward solution for you. I recently had to do similar, and paying them down in a lump just made everything easier.

Hope it works out for you.

I see, I also think that the lump sum would be the best option for us. We will be discussing it further, thanks for your input!
Original post by Boblebobette
I see, I also think that the lump sum would be the best option for us. We will be discussing it further, thanks for your input!

No problem! Honestly, the experience I had was overwhelmingly that people don't care about jobs etc if you're able to put down a solid amount of rent up front - it's zero risk for them effectively. As I said before, hope it works out for you guys - and I'm sure it will! :smile:
generally landlords will want proof of income, meaning you usually have to be able to prove that you will be earning 2-3x the rent value each month between you... you obviously won't be able to do that with only one student loan coming in

you may get around this by paying 6 months up front rather than monthly rent payments

you will also have the issue that many landlords don't want students and most student landlords won't rent to a non student

make sure you're going to have enough for council tax, bills, TV, internet, food etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending