The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to walk off the bus if an inspector comes on?

I saw some guy arguing with the ticket inspector today. The inspector asked for his ticket at the top of the stairs and then the guy said "I'm getting off here". Then he was being abusive to the inspector. The inspector replies with "I hope you get wet!"(it was raining outside. I've seen people being fined when they don't prove they have a ticket. So are you just allowed to walk off?
Reply 1
"I hope you get wet!"
what a savage.

from what i've seen, you can get off without being checked before an inspector gets to you :h:
Original post by vexd
"I hope you get wet!"
what a savage.

from what i've seen, you can get off without being checked before an inspector gets to you :h:

Lol why don't all fare dodgers just do that?
Reply 3
Don't see how they work. When they ask for an address to send you a fine, isnt it obvious you're not gonna give them the real thing?
Original post by NotGodofWorld
Lol why don't all fare dodgers just do that?

Because I'm pretty sure that if you're on the bus and don't provide a ticket, then you'll get the penalty - so if the inspector gets on, sees someone heading for the exit, and stops them before they get off, then they can still get fined I think. Also, it's not always entirely obvious it's an inspector, and if you're on the top deck, it can be quite hard to get past without being obvious...
Reply 5
Sure. What's he going to do about it?
Original post by AAls
Don't see how they work. When they ask for an address to send you a fine, isnt it obvious you're not gonna give them the real thing?

No.
Well are they allowed to arrest you if you are not willing to co-operate? It must be much worse on National Rail Services than on Tube or local buses tbh but it's probably the same scenario
(edited 7 years ago)
You're not allowed to walk off if you fail to show the inspector your ticket. This ticket inspector was just being lazy or didn't care.
Reply 9
You could give the wrong address so how will they fine you?
Reply 10
Original post by chikane
You could give the wrong address so how will they fine you?

Exactly. All they can say is "we've got you on camera."
I HATE My Oyster Card Picture which is why I put it in a wallet, I remember just the other day I was taking my Usual bus upto my school this Inspector suddenly approached me asking for my Card and I took it out but didn't open the cover, because I feel so self-conscious when people look at my Oyster card picture, because I am the worlds least Photogenic person I know, but he said I had to open it, and I hesitantly opened it groaning, and he had a cheeky little pop at me saying "Looks live you've seen better days", the little bastard.
its a free country
If you have not paid you are a thief. Just as much as if you leave a shop without paying.

Quick Reply

Latest