The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jools
6 figures after two years is very unlikely. If you have those sort of top credentials you'll start on maybe 50k and move up 10 a year max at first. A fair few get on 6 figures by 28 or so though.

Hmm. Clearly exaggeration then; however still a lot more than you'd earn as an NQT, eh :biggrin:
What career do you want to do? Academia
Why do you want to do this career? Because I can.
What do you consider the pros and cons of this career? Pro - flexibility, chance to travel, huge demand surplus, maybe world-wide fame if you're any good. Cons - pitiful wage and horrid students.
How are you going to get your chosen career? Mphil - PhD - the rest.
How much do you hope to be earning when you first start, at thirty and at fifty? Haven't looked into it; and don't care anyway.
Jools
6 figures after two years is very unlikely. If you have those sort of top credentials you'll start on maybe 50k and move up 10 a year max at first. A fair few get on 6 figures by 28 or so though.

Even if you did earn 100,000, you'd only be able to have a 400,000 mortgage, so it would buy you little in London? So 100,000 wouldn't be loads there?
Happy Sunshine
Even if you did earn 100,000, you'd only be able to have a 400,000 mortgage, so it would buy you little in London? So 100,000 wouldn't be loads there?

400k if you're single can get you something decent; a lot at that age would have a partner making things cheaper though. Rent isn't too bad either - you can get a really nice place in the centre for eg £250/week - not that bad if you start on £650ish.
Reply 44
BazTheMoney
What career do you want to do? Academia
Why do you want to do this career? Because I can.
What do you consider the pros and cons of this career? Pro - flexibility, chance to travel, huge demand surplus, maybe world-wide fame if you're any good. Cons - pitiful wage and horrid students.
How are you going to get your chosen career? Mphil - PhD - the rest.
How much do you hope to be earning when you first start, at thirty and at fifty? Haven't looked into it; and don't care anyway.

I'd love to go into academia :frown:

Need money though
Reply 45
Happy Sunshine

If you pay a deposit more than 20% on a property you can get a non-status assessed mortgage, thus allowing someone earning 100k (plus savings) to get a mortgage alot higher than the 400k.
Lord Huntroyde
I'd love to go into academia :frown:

My idea of hell! Living/sleeping in your tutorial room with books as company. Assessing academic critique/thought - to what avail? Students without the same level of enthusiasm, making excuses for not doing their essays. Oh, and thanklessly awful pay after a decade of gaining qualifications.
Reply 47
Jools
My idea of hell! Living/sleeping in your tutorial room with books as company. Assessing academic critique/thought - to what avail? Students without the same level of enthusiasm, making excuses for not doing their essays. Oh, and thanklessly awful pay after a decade of gaining qualifications.

Wll when you put it like that... :tongue:

You're probably right, since I have lots of ambition and no patience, but it still sounds nice.
Reply 48
Lord Huntroyde
I'd love to go into academia :frown: Need money though

Depending on what you are doing you could supplement your income by doing consulting.
Reply 49
shiny
Depending on what you are doing you could supplement your income by doing consulting.

Need guaranteed money though.

I don't ask for a lot of money, but I need some
Reply 50
Lord Huntroyde
Need guaranteed money though. I don't ask for a lot of money, but I need some

Well, academic salaries are upping a bit. A friend of mine got £28k for his first academic post, which isn't too bad for someone aged 26 :smile:

Maybe I have low expectations :redface:
Reply 51
shiny
Well, academic salaries are upping a bit. A friend of mine got £28k for his first academic post, which isn't too bad for someone aged 26 :smile:

Maybe I have low expectations :redface:

Not too bad, but it's also very difficult to get into.
Reply 52
Lord Huntroyde

And you think something like IB isn't?
Reply 53
shiny
And you think something like IB isn't?

But if you do get in (and I'm not sure if I even want to go into the city) the rewards are great and the work is interesting - academia, whilst can be interesting, has poor reward.
Lord Huntroyde

Academia won't be that difficult to get into. How many people your age want to go into academia?
Reply 55
Lord Huntroyde
But if you do get in (and I'm not sure if I even want to go into the city) the rewards are great and the work is interesting - academia, whilst can be interesting, has poor reward.

Depends on what you are looking for in terms of reward. Some people like me are more content with seeing their little inventions working than the size of their salaries :smile:

Then again, as I said, I'm quite simple minded.
Reply 56
Jools
Academia won't be that difficult to get into. How many people your age want to go into academia?

You're right, not many, but again, I want good, guaranteed income.
Reply 57
What career do you want to do? Something in the financial sector, keeping options open.
Why do you want to do this career? I feel that I could be successful in it, ie playing to my strengths
What do you consider the pros and cons of this career?pros: can have good pay, which in term will allow me to set-up own business. cons: very competitive(although this is also a pro, as it provides a healthy challenge)
How are you going to get your chosen career?
Reply 58
shiny
Depends on what you are looking for in terms of reward. Some people like me are more content with seeing their little inventions working than the size of their salaries :smile:

Then again, as I said, I'm quite simple minded.

I don't ask for a huge 14 figure salary but I'd like to see it creep towards 100k as I reach retirement (preferably somewhere with a final-salery pension scheme :cool: )
Reply 59
Lord Huntroyde
I don't ask for a huge 14 figure salary but I'd like to see it creep towards 100k as I reach retirement (preferably somewhere with a final-salery pension scheme :cool: )

Oh well, academia ain't for you then :redface:

* goes back to being simple :redface: *

Latest

Trending

Trending