The Student Room Group

Psychology conversion courses in 2017/18 - Are they any good?

Good evening and greetings from the other side of the channel :smile:

Before you read: I apologize for the length of this post. But the depths to which I went for getting here have left me exhausted. So I am really counting on the community to provide some great insights :smile:

After weeks and months of working my way through the bureaucratic hurdles of the British tertiary education system, a new possibility has popped up virtually out of the blue.

So here is my situation: I already have an undergrad degree (BSc) in Business Administration. However, after 4 years as an Analyst at a multinational I am convinced that the business world is not for me. Instead, I would much rather prefer to pursue my passion: Psychology.

One option is of course to do it the old fashioned way and go back and do a BSc & a subsequent MSc in Psych. While this would cost quite some time an money, I am not opposed to going down that road.

But just yesterday I learned about a potential shortcut: conversion courses.
Difficult as they are said to be, it seems to be a viable alternative for someone who has been through a partially "bloated" Bachelor curriculum already.

Now the question: Are these courses any good? My dream would be to work in the public sector, e.g. as a school counselor/psychiatrist - or even better - contribute to the field directly through research.
Given my ambition, I reckon I would have to do a second, more specific Master thereafter, e.g. MSc Developmental Psychology.
What is your experience with these conversion degrees? Do they provide a solid basis to further one's studies? Or would I be better advised to do a regular Bachelor first?

Thank you for your help. Being able to study Psych would mean the world to me - so your feedback is more than appreciated!

Cheers,
Chimp
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chimpsociety

Before you read: I apologize for the length of this post. But the depths to which I went for getting here have left me exhausted. So I am really counting on the community to provide some great insights :smile:

After weeks and months of working my way through the bureaucratic hurdles of the British tertiary education system, a new possibility has popped up virtually out of the blue.

So here is my situation: I already have an undergrad degree (BSc) in Business Administration. However, after 4 years as an Analyst at a multinational I am convinced that the business world is not for me. Instead, I would much rather prefer to pursue my passion: Psychology.

One option is of course to do it the old fashioned way and go back and do a BSc & a subsequent MSc in Psych. While this would cost quite some time an money, I am not opposed to going down that road.

Difficult as they are said to be, it seems to be a viable alternative for someone who has been through a partially "bloated" Bachelor curriculum already.

Now the question: Are these courses any good? My dream would be to work in the public sector, e.g. as a school counselor/psychiatrist - or even better - contribute to the field directly through research.
Given my ambition, I reckon I would have to do a second, more specific Master thereafter, e.g. MSc Developmental Psychology.
What is your experience with these conversion degrees? Do they provide a solid basis to further one's studies? Or would I be better advised to do a regular Bachelor first?

Thank you for your help. Being able to study Psych would mean the world to me - so your feedback is more than appreciated!

Cheers,
Chimp

I think doing a conversion course + masters would be time better spent then doing bsc first. I think the conversion course only really assumes that you've got the maturity and study skills to do the course in one year.... I don't think it will go in as much depth as a Bsc, but it should give you a decent overview of psychology!

If you want to go into research, uou can apply for a phd (or phd + masters) following the conversion course, although it would be alot easier to do a masters following a conversion course and apply for a phd (if you want to go into research) before Xmas time (when phd funding deadlines are). Alternatively you can apply for research assistant posts at universities without a phd, and use that time to get more experience and make a phd application.

The main advantage of doing a conversion course is that you get BPS accreditation which is needed for professional psychology careers but not research. You could do a masters in psychology without a bsc in psychology.... however some relevant undergrad degree is usually helpful, it could be a bit of a struggle with your undergraduate degree. Also you wouldn't get BPS accreditation. I know lots of people who do masters in psychology/neuroscience with biology, zoology, maths or engineering degrees, it is probably best to get some good knowledge of psychology first by doing a conversion course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
I think doing a conversion course + masters would be time better spent then doing bsc first...

Hey Mike,

thank you for your reply! This was exactly what I was looking for.

I will apply for both (BSc and the conversion course) and see where I get in, but the preference would be the conversion course.
I have also reached out to different universities to have them "confirm" that a conversion degree is considered a sufficient qualification to enter a specialized Master programme. I will update this post once I have received their answers...

In the meantime: Has anyone here been through any Psych conversion courses? I know that there are different threads on this topic, but they all seem quite outdated. Would be interesting if there was a more recent testimony :smile:

Have a great weekend!
Hey Mike,

thank you for your reply! This was exactly what I was looking for.

I will apply for both (BSc and the conversion course) and see where I get in, but the preference would be the conversion course.
I have also reached out to different universities to have them "confirm" that a conversion degree is considered a sufficient qualification to enter a specialized Master programme. I will update this post once I have received their answers...

In the meantime: Has anyone here been through any Psych conversion courses? I know that there are different threads on this topic, but they all seem quite outdated. Would be interesting if there was a more recent testimony :smile:

Have a great weekend!

Research masters degrees tend to let in just about anyone (at least with a 2.i or 2.ii, as they like having students that can run experiments for them, and are paying for the privilege!
Reply 4
I'm in very similar situation.. So thank you for posting question and only I would like to add - for those who already obtain Msc Conversion Course in Psychology - does on Diplom sty that is ''Conversion Course''?

Cheers,
Chimp

Quick Reply

Latest