The Student Room Group

friendly advice plz

I'm thinking of studying maths at uni and im about to go into yr 13. I have maths but not further maths, and UCL state they want further maths as a requirement. I was wondering if further maths was a 1 or 2 year course and have i got it right about UCL wanting further maths because imperial doesnt require further maths. Thanks
Reply 1
Further maths is another 6 modules, equivalent to a full A level. It's entirely possible to cram it into a single year though. If you work hard.
From looking at the website, it appears that they expect maths and further maths and ask for A grades in both in their offers.

"Offers of places are normally made conditional on applicants obtaining three GCE A level subjects plus a pass in a further subject at AS level although please be aware of our policy on Further Mathematics A level described below. Students must obtain grade A at A level in either Mathematics, Pure Mathematics or Mathematics with Statistics, and additionally obtain grade A at A level in either Further Mathematics, Applied Mathematics or Statistics."
Reply 2
fueski
I was wondering if further maths was a 1 or 2 year course
Further Maths is an A-level consisting of six units. Most students who take Further Maths study the entire normal Maths A-level in the first year, and then study the Further Maths A-level in the second year. However, this is only the usual method of studying for the qualifications; it is possible for one to have a different timetable for study and still get a Further Maths qualification.

fueski
have i got it right about UCL wanting further maths because imperial doesnt require further maths. Thanks

UCL require Further Maths to A2. UCL and Imperial are different colleges and therefore they can set different entry requirements.
Reply 3
SsEe
Further maths is another 6 modules, equivalent to a full A level. It's entirely possible to cram it into a single year though. If you work hard.

It's not clear whether the OP has an AS or a full A-level in Maths. If the latter then they are in a normal position for an applicant; if the former then, yes, they will have to work harder than most to get a full FM A-level, and it is unlikely their school will be able to provide all the lessons they need in a regular school timetable.

Latest