The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Near the end of year 10.
Reply 381
I'd say that's fine to be honest - as long, as I said before, as you can remember what you learned, apply it to the career, and be able to discuss the placement.

At the end of the day there's only so much we can tell you; it's all at the universities' discretion.
You have three options really:
a) Do nothing - just hope for the best.
b) Have a refresher of the category of experience. So if it was stable-work, perhaps go back to the same/a different stables for a week, just to bring yourself up to speed, and show the uni's you haven't just abandoned that sector.
c) Contact the universities individually to see whether or not they would consider the placement. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't, as long as you can prove you've retained information from it :s-smilie:

Personally I think option b your best bet, either way. A little extra work experience never hurts, right? :wink:
Thanks for that. I will definitely do some more work experience I was just wondering incase of the worst case scenario
Is it acceptable to go to a equine vets after my application was sent in / in September?
Reply 384
Yeah as long as you write it on your personal statement that you are planning to do however long at the equine vets and what you hope to learn from it.
Reply 385
I've got my first day of lambing placement tomorrow :smile:
I'm very excited, but a bit nervous at the same time. The farmer sounds like a bit of a character and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him.
Oh well, I can't wait!
hey, does anyone know of places to do work experience with exotics in surrey or kent? I can seem to find anywhere nearby.... i have already done 4 weeks in different vets, lambing kennels and a day at the abbetoir. where have you done your work experience??
thanks
Reply 387
have you spent anytime on a farm? dairy or lambing? or anytime at a stables, if it were me I would look at those before exotics.
Reply 388
I agree. You should work on getting some solid farming experience, some equine too.
Working at a wildlife centre was a bonus for my application because it was something interesting that may have made me stand out in a way, but I doubt I would have gotten far without a bit of basic farm/stable/vet experience.

If you would be willing to take a trip up to Scotland in the summer, I have a great wildlife centre that could take you on if you're interested. That's all I can suggest on the exotics front though, sorry.
Can you get to West Sussex or is that too far over? Theres a great vets there with an exotics wing. I got to watch a tortoise spay and stomach tube a snake...no easy task!
CamillaPudney
hey, does anyone know of places to do work experience with exotics in surrey or kent? I can seem to find anywhere nearby.... i have already done 4 weeks in different vets, lambing kennels and a day at the abbetoir. where have you done your work experience??
thanks

where abouts are you?
theres an exotics vet near richmond, i'll give you the details if you want
Reply 391
tiny_tiger
Can you get to West Sussex or is that too far over? Theres a great vets there with an exotics wing. I got to watch a tortoise spay and stomach tube a snake...no easy task!

Where's this place?! I'm not too far from West Sussex and it sounds awesome! I'm not even looking for more work exp and want to go :tongue:
Haha, do you know where Horsham and Crawley are? Its that area, I can pm you details if you want. It is a mixed practice so you will still get the standard dog/cat/small furries etc but it has an exotics wing like I said thats always full of tortoises and snakes! One of my jobs was to give all the tortoises a bath every other day which takes forever when you have 30 odd tortoises to get through and all of them need different supplements and things added...plus they like splashing around! Plus they have a hydrotherapy pool so its always good to go out there for an hour or so and watch the dogs and cats have hydrotherapy!
Reply 393
tiny_tiger
Haha, do you know where Horsham and Crawley are? Its that area, I can pm you details if you want. It is a mixed practice so you will still get the standard dog/cat/small furries etc but it has an exotics wing like I said thats always full of tortoises and snakes! One of my jobs was to give all the tortoises a bath every other day which takes forever when you have 30 odd tortoises to get through and all of them need different supplements and things added...plus they like splashing around! Plus they have a hydrotherapy pool so its always good to go out there for an hour or so and watch the dogs and cats have hydrotherapy!

I do indeed. Sure, hit me up. I'd like to investigate at the very least :yep: Thanks in advance :wink:
I've seen hydrotherapy - almost accepted a job as a canine hydrotherapy assistant actually :wink: - but it's always a giggle :tongue:
Hydrotherapy is the best, funny as hell when they really get into it
Reply 395
Transatlanticdrawl_
Hydrotherapy is the best, funny as hell when they really get into it

:yep: The buoyancy aids crack me up.
Reply 396
tiny_tiger

If you'd be able to pm me the details as well, this would be much appreciated. I'm like forty minutes from Horsham.
tiny_tiger

yes thats not too far away whats the place called?? sounds great...
thanks!
Reply 398
I'm interested in exotics as well, but unfortunately I don't know anyone in my area who deals with them. Does anyone know of any vets who deal with exotics in the area around Glasgow?
I'm going to Edinburgh next year, and I've heard that they're great with exotics but I would like some experience with them beforehand. :biggrin: I'm not old enough to work in a zoo though (I've been told you have to be 18 but I turned 17 two weeks ago).
Steph, camilla and emilyyy, ill pm you the details tomorrow, not got long enough now but i havnt forgotten!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending