The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

emilyyy
Where's this place?! I'm not too far from West Sussex and it sounds awesome! I'm not even looking for more work exp and want to go :tongue:

Yay me too!

(well, Im quite far away from West Sussex but to hell with it, I want to play with turtles :biggrin: :biggrin: )
Can anyone kindly tell me any zoo placements they currently have/will get?
I'm arranging my work experience over in the UK and I'm having some trouble finding a zoo that still allows applications and isn't for people over 18! :frown:
Reply 402
I went to west midlands safari park for a week, they take long term placements too for college students (16+) so you could give them a try?
If they say no then keep pestering as they will be able to fit you in, but I had to book mine almost a year in advance.
London zoo, whipsnade and bristol zoo all accepted me when I was 16 if thats any help :smile:
Thanks for the ideas! I don't actually live in the UK, so moving around is going to be a bit of an issue - I'm going to be staying around Devon and Southampton in the summer.
I would've loved to go to London zoo but the application deadline has passed :frown:. I looked into both the safari park (website isn't working unfortunately!) and Bristol. Bristol seems like a good possibility and I'll definitely try applying with them.
Hi all
I finally got into a dairy farm near me- woop :smile: Its only for 3 days but the farmer made it quite clear if i worked hard then there would be more and he would put me in touch with other people as well :biggrin:
So what should I wear and what kinds of things should i do whilst i am there
thanks for any help :smile:
Overalls are essential
Maybe a hat cos you might get poo on your head
Wellies

You will bring them in, maybe have a go on a quad or something similar to get them in, you'll milk them, turn them back out, and then all the hosing down and such. You might get to do PDs and stuff if the vet comes aswell.
If they have calves you might be looking after them too in terms of feeding, cleaning out and giving milk to any youngsters. Calvings are good to watch if theyre a spring calving herd or if the calve all year round.

I strongly suggest waterproofs if you have them. Obviously you have to try and stay as clean as possible cos of biosecurity etc etc and waterproofs are so easy to just hose down, brush off then hey presto...clean! I wore my overalls to start off with but I was working 5.30am till 7pm so got extremely caked in crap and then I had to make sure I washed them every night which was a pain. Some people prefer overalls but I prefer waterproofs just cos theyre easier. Wellies are a definite must! Oh and make sure theyre spotless, some farmers get annoyed if you have dirty wellies...again cos of biosecurity etc.
Reply 408
I'm in year 12 and hoping to apply for various vet schools next year, but like the rest of the world I'm having trouble getting various bits of work experience.
At the moment I've done ( or am going to do ):

- 1 week Small and Large animal practise
- a couple of months in stables
- a couple of months at a cattery
- 1 week at "Amazing Animals" ( thats a private zoo, exotics etc )
- 1 day at an abattoir
- 2 months working at owl sanctuary

Ive got a week lambing planned for next summer ( as in the summer of year 13 )

Anyway the point is I was wondering what people reckon my chances are at present, because I'm having real difficulties getting any more time at vet surgeries - which is fairly important obviously - and also on farms, although that might be easier.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could give their opinions...
joshygab
I'm in year 12 and hoping to apply for various vet schools next year, but like the rest of the world I'm having trouble getting various bits of work experience.
At the moment I've done ( or am going to do ):

- 1 week Small and Large animal practise
- a couple of months in stables
- a couple of months at a cattery
- 1 week at "Amazing Animals" ( thats a private zoo, exotics etc )
- 1 day at an abattoir
- 2 months working at owl sanctuary

Ive got a week lambing planned for next summer ( as in the summer of year 13 )

Anyway the point is I was wondering what people reckon my chances are at present, because I'm having real difficulties getting any more time at vet surgeries - which is fairly important obviously - and also on farms, although that might be easier.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could give their opinions...

I would aim to meet Liverpool's minimum requirements as a baseline for what you should be getting. This is 4 weeks in vet practises (if possible split it between Small animals, large animals and equine) and then 6 weeks animal husbandry (farms etc.) So obviously you'll need to get more vet work exp, I'd reccomend just getting out the yellow pages and writing to then wringing up as many local vet practises as possible, there are some really good tips for that in this thread.
I think an important area you're missing at the moment is cattle. Ideally some experience of both beef and dairy would be good, but not essential, as long as you have work experience with cattle. Kennels would be a good idea as well just for a week.
I will have when applying:

3 weeks small animal farm.
1 week mixed animal farm.
1 week dairy farm.
1 week kennels/cattery.
1 week dog groomers.
1 week equine vet.
2 weeks small animal vet, and 6 months voluntary work small animal vet monday evenings.

Might take a couple of riding lessons as well if I can get the money together. Will I need anymore?
skatealexia
I will have when applying:

3 weeks small animal farm.
1 week mixed animal farm.
1 week dairy farm.
1 week kennels/cattery.
1 week dog groomers.
1 week equine vet.
2 weeks small animal vet, and 6 months voluntary work small animal vet monday evenings.

Might take a couple of riding lessons as well if I can get the money together. Will I need anymore?

you have more variety than i had. instead of paying for riding lessons, why not see if you can work in exchange for them somewhere
Reply 412
OllyH
I would aim to meet Liverpool's minimum requirements as a baseline for what you should be getting. This is 4 weeks in vet practises (if possible split it between Small animals, large animals and equine) and then 6 weeks animal husbandry (farms etc.) So obviously you'll need to get more vet work exp, I'd reccomend just getting out the yellow pages and writing to then wringing up as many local vet practises as possible, there are some really good tips for that in this thread.
I think an important area you're missing at the moment is cattle. Ideally some experience of both beef and dairy would be good, but not essential, as long as you have work experience with cattle. Kennels would be a good idea as well just for a week.

It's just that you would not believe how hard I've been trying to get more weeks at vets - well you know how they can be...
joshygab
It's just that you would not believe how hard I've been trying to get more weeks at vets - well you know how they can be...

why not go back to the one you spent a week at?
Annaconda
you have more variety than i had. instead of paying for riding lessons, why not see if you can work in exchange for them somewhere

I would, but I really don't have the time =(. At least three weeks summer holidays is work experience, rest is extended project writing.
Reply 415
it's just really hard to get to and i probably can't rely on my parents giving me lifts this time, I'll just keep trying.
Anyway I'm looking at university websites and it seems that for the ones which I'm most interested in (Bristol, RVC, maybe Cambridge), I've already done more than enough to satisfy them... so assuming I ace all my exams is work experience going to be as important at those universities ?
Email the unis and ask, best way to find out.
joshygab
it's just really hard to get to and i probably can't rely on my parents giving me lifts this time, I'll just keep trying.
Anyway I'm looking at university websites and it seems that for the ones which I'm most interested in (Bristol, RVC, maybe Cambridge), I've already done more than enough to satisfy them... so assuming I ace all my exams is work experience going to be as important at those universities ?

not for cambridge, but you have to bear in mind that most applicants will have aimed to meet liverpools requirements and will have a lot more vet work exp than you.
Yeh the minimums on the website are literally that...minimums. What you have to remember is that the vast majority of applicants will aim for Liverpool's requirement of 10 weeks and many will greatly exceed that. Regardless of individual university's requirements, if they have to decide between two similar candidates but one has 10 weeks and one has just the minimum, its clear who they would choose. You need to give yourself the best possible chance!
Reply 419
Hey all,

I'm looking to get some more small animal work experience and was wondering whether anyone has and/or would reccomend trying to get some at a cattery? I'm just asking because I imagine that there wouldn't really be much to do, so I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or not.

I don't really know anything at all about cats, and don't come into contact with them much apart from at work (mixed practice vets) so think it would be quite useful and interesting?

Anyone had any experience at catteries?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending