The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Nice one, Should be stickied
Nice one about shovelling poo. I finally decided to go for my career change while shovelling poo at an animal rescue centre, when I found myself wishing it was my day job and not my volunteer work! Just couldnt get it out of my head....

If you want a vet-related birthday/christmas present, there is an organisation www.experiencemad.co.uk that does animal related activities like a weekend working at a zoo, falconry, parrots, day with a country vet, seal watching etc. Its expensive but you get lunch etc and for townie people its another way of finding work exp that's more rural/slightly different.
fabulous, i've saved it to my notepad!
Reply 43
F#@K me nina, that looks like a lot work you put in there. well done!
Reply 44
The next person to post a work experience related post outside of this thread will die a very painful death, took me bloody ages :p:, beats writing up my cattle stuff though *stands back and admires the big red book* ... this course is slowly destroying my social life lol
Reply 45
Just to add to the fantastic work by Nina is exactly (word for word) what the Universities have on their prospectus about work experience.

Royal Veterinary College

Prospectus
Before making an application, in order to develop animal
handling skills, you must obtain varied work experience
for a minimum of two weeks – both in veterinary practice
and with animals. Examples of suitable work experience
other than in veterinary practice include work in a stables,
a kennels, a farm or city farm, an abattoir, an animal
groomers, a pet shop and even a research laboratory.
Brief details of experience and duration of visits should be
set out on your UCAS application form.

Edinburgh

Practical Experience
How Much Practical Experience Should I Gain?
As much and as varied as possible which should include:

seeing veterinary practice, both large and small animal if possible.
spending time on livestock farms (dairying and lambing are particularly useful).
other animal establishments, for example, zoos, kennels, catteries, wildlife centres, pig farms, poultry farms & stables.
A day at an abattoir is recommended but not demanded.
Experience gained in veterinary or medical laboratories is also encouraged to help candidates to appreciate the scientific basis of veterinary medicine.
The amount of experience cannot be quantified in terms of days or weeks as it depends, to some extent, on the opportunities available to individual candidates. Obviously the broader the experience the better but applicants are reminded that experience should not be gained to the detriment of their academic studies.

Specific details on your practical experience (number of days/weeks spent and species worked with) should be clearly shown in the personal statement section of your UCAS form.

References from those responsible for supervising relevant work experience are of great assistance, and should be sent directly to the Admissions Officer in the School Office no later than 31st October.

Glasgow University

Do I need practical experience?
Success in the veterinary degree programme requires high academic achievement and a great deal of hard work, together with motivation evidenced by some prior practical knowledge. Before coming for interview, you will be expected to have gained experience with a veterinary surgeon, spent a week or two working on a dairy farm and have a variety of experience working with other animals, for example in kennels, stables or on other types of farms. It is recommended that you take a few riding lessons if you have no previous experience of horses. Some applicants may have laboratory experience and may be considering a research career. This will also be taken into consideration.

I couldn't find any of the other ones online =/
Reply 46
Here you go..... (and Nina you are amazing!)

Nottingham

Work experience
All applicants should have gained at least six weeks experience of working with animals before they apply. For example, this may include experience at the following establishments:

One or more veterinary practices
Working with larger domestic animals on a livestock farm
Other animal experience (e.g. kennels, riding school, zoo etc)
We will consider references from your work experience placements, although we do not wish to receive detailed case studies or journals.

Bristol

The more work experience the better, ideally this should amount to several weeks over 2-3 years. It needs to cover experience of both large and small animal veterinary work, animal rescue, zoo, animals in research, equine and a range of farmed species. In addition an appreciation that farmed species are part of the food chain and that vets have to care for animals, even in an abattoir.

The primary aim of work experience is to give prospective students an understanding of what it is to be a veterinarian. However it also is an opportunity to learn about veterinary science. Students who simply attend work experience but do not use their time effectively, fail to gain the full benefit from the experience. We expect students to be able to describe and discuss in basic terms the science underpinning and ethical questions related to the various procedures they have observed.

(Bristol website was a bit vague but this is what I found)

Liverpool

WORK EXPERIENCE

We suggest at least four weeks experience of veterinary practice, preferably spent in more than one practice, and a further six weeks of other animal experience including farm work, stables, kennels etc. Zoo work, visiting abattoirs and working with animals abroad are acceptable but not essential. It is important that you have experience of UK farming systems. References from veterinary work experience placements may be submitted to support your application. These should be sent directly to the Faculty.

Cambridge

Work experience
Many applicants worry unnecessarily that they have not had sufficient veterinary experience before applying. It is helpful to have some personal experience of the veterinary profession and have a realistic idea of what the work may entail.

However, extensive experience is not a prerequisite and seeing a variety of different aspects of the profession for relatively short periods can be more helpful.

In preparation for an application for Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge, you should not give up other worthwhile pursuits such as training in sport, music or drama in order to gain excessive work experience with animals

I think as a general guide Cambridge looks for roughly 6 weeks
Im not a fan of cambridge.. or bristol. anyway can you make like, little jokes in the personal statement? (when you say make it witty)
Reply 48
Botticello
Im not a fan of cambridge.. or bristol. anyway can you make like, little jokes in the personal statement? (when you say make it witty)

Depends on your style of wit, if its sarcastic, uninformed, snotty, arrogant or can be misinterpreted as any of the above then best leave that to the medics :P

On another note, how well informed are you about Cambridge or Bristol? That comment sounds quite arrogant, snotty and uninformed. Are you going from what you have heard? Have you been there or even spoken to anyone that goes there? If you have then at least bring some kind of reason, otherwise its like saying "I dont like the taste of fish" when you have only ever looked at it.

Im not going to respond to anymore of your comments in this thread as its not the place, but I think you need to be careful in how you express your views.
Reply 49
Joe87

On another note, how well informed are you about Cambridge or Bristol? That comment sounds quite arrogant, snotty and uninformed. Are you going from what you have heard? Have you been there or even spoken to anyone that goes there? If you have then at least bring some kind of reason, otherwise its like saying "I dont like the taste of fish" when you have only ever looked at it.

Im not going to respond to anymore of your comments in this thread as its not the place, but I think you need to be careful in how you express your views.

Perhaps she is not keen on either the location or teaching style? Each to their own, no need to make a deal out of it. What concern is it of yours which vet schools she applies to?
Reply 50
well said shockley
Reply 51
Joe87
Depends on your style of wit, if its sarcastic, uninformed, snotty, arrogant or can be misinterpreted as any of the above then best leave that to the medics :P

I don't think there was anything wrong with what they said- its not like they said Cambridge and Bristol are rubbish and anyone goes there deserves to die... something along those lines would be out of order, but all they expressed was an opinion... everyones entitled to one! But i'd agree to visit all unis before making a decision on them- they might surprise you... although i'll admit, they didn't do anything for me!

And yeah, be careful- wit is fantastic if used in the right way but make sure it can't be misinterpreted!
yes thankyou! Im just not keen on being that far from home and I just prefer the others :tongue:
Annaconda
i dont think the height restrictions in the dairy can be true, because it seems to me that loads of the people on here are quite short so
a)they have got dairy experience, and
b)these people ore going to be vets, and if theres a sick cow they cant stop someone from treating it because the vet is too short to go inot the dairy!

you may need to confirm that though...

hehehe Im 5ft 7 so I should be ok!
I have planned to fill all the holidays from now untill i apply with work exp, but i have just found lots of animal sanctuaries, rescue places, which although would be too hard to get to everyday for a week, i could get to once or twice.
I was just wondering whether it would be worth going to a couple of places for just a day, and would it look good on my ucas?
Reply 55
Annaconda
I have planned to fill all the holidays from now untill i apply with work exp, but i have just found lots of animal sanctuaries, rescue places, which although would be too hard to get to everyday for a week, i could get to once or twice.
I was just wondering whether it would be worth going to a couple of places for just a day, and would it look good on my ucas?

Absolutely, every little helps. You only need to spend one day at an abattoir, for example. Variety is good.
Reply 56
Botticello
yes thankyou! Im just not keen on being that far from home and I just prefer the others :tongue:

Now all of you shush- you're spitting on the bible
mmmmmmm Sacreligious
Reply 58
I was just going to ask the vet students on here what the best time was to ask the vet school's hospitals for work experience? I've been lucky enough to get three days organised with Leahurst for next month, although it was apparent that they are very busy. I would like to spend time at the RVC hospitals, if they are able to take me on. When's the best time to arrange it when vet students aren't busy at the hospitals?
Reply 59
I would have thought during termtime when the students will be there- that way you can learn loads because the students will be being taught things and you can listen in- there will also be loads of people around to do the work so there will be people who will have time to answer your questions- I went during termtime to Leahurst and that was really good... but then again Leahurst isn't RVC so may be different!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending