The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

goldiesgirl
well i know where collumpton is so thats a start but please hunt out the address for me so i can see what i can do

thankyou muchly Lx

The B&B place was at Colliton Barton, which is about 5 miles from Collumpton (towards Honiton), and the farm was at the same place when I did my AHEMS there in July (thanks so much for that tip btw tiny_tiger - it was great!). However, the couple who did the B&B bit are retiring from the farm, and will be moving out of the house where they did it. I believe someone else nearby is going to take it up, but I'm not sure if it'll be the same price etc.
ch0c0h01ic

And most zoos actually charge people to experience life as a zoo keeper. Plus, there isn't that much work involved. I knew someone who worked in a zoo shop all day, then, at closing, helped with feeding at closing. It will take a lot of effort to get a zoo placement, and could involve a lot of non vetty work, you have been warned, in my eyes they do take advantage of you.

The right zoo placement can be amazing, and a real boost at interview! I worked with the vet department at a zoo for a week before my application, and it came up at every one of my interviews. Plus I got to help with field surgery on a gorilla, endoscopy on a pudú calf, play with an elephant while it had it's foot sorted etc etc. As for effort, I just emailed and asked, and got a placement straight back....
Reply 62
Erm...Im barely 5ft 1 and I managed my dairy workexp fine! Was one of my most interesting work exp actually! The on site vet taught me how to do a basic rectal and vaginal exam and my height didnt matter at all!
tiny_tiger

I think as a general guide Cambridge looks for roughly 6 weeks

i wouldn't have said cambridge ask for that much, i did 2 weeks at a kennels and cattery, a week at an equestrian centre and went every wednesday afternoon (1.30-6) for 4 months to my local vet practice. i didn't get anything with large animal and cambridge were quite satisfied with that! i got penalised by bristol for it though, my interviewer was a large animal vet =(
Reply 64
I mean, what would be the problem.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdTupmun4Yk

Im going to have nightmares, althought luckily im 6ft
Reply 65
Hmmm. I heard Cambridge leant more towards the theory side though. So maybe they were more interested in academic references?
Reply 66
I always use to think Cambridge was like that but having spoken to a few people about it im not so sure. During their Vet open days they strongly denied it, who knows :P
TOday I arranged some work exp with a practice, after 17th sept to go after school for a few hours on tuesdays and fridays :smile:
Reply 68
Botticello
TOday I arranged some work exp with a practice, after 17th sept to go after school for a few hours on tuesdays and fridays :smile:

Excellent! Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :smile:
did you put one of them long gloves on?
thank you!
Shockley
Hmmm. I heard Cambridge leant more towards the theory side though. So maybe they were more interested in academic references?

it is true that cambridge give places to a number of people who they are fairly sure will become researchers rather than actual vets - it's only a small proportion of the year though. very much doubt they thought that about me though, i have no intention of being a research vet!!! i think they aren't too bothered about your work exp cos you have to do EMS anyway as part of the course. plus the final year is lecture- (and exam-) free, it's basically a year of being a veterinary surgeon without being qualified, and they have a big mixed practice at the vet school. so all in all you get plenty of experience before you qualify.
Reply 72
princesse_lunaire
it is true that cambridge give places to a number of people who they are fairly sure will become researchers rather than actual vets - it's only a small proportion of the year though. very much doubt they thought that about me though, i have no intention of being a research vet!!! i think they aren't too bothered about your work exp cos you have to do EMS anyway as part of the course. plus the final year is lecture- (and exam-) free, it's basically a year of being a veterinary surgeon without being qualified, and they have a big mixed practice at the vet school. so all in all you get plenty of experience before you qualify.

I wouldn't call it plenty...
thanks vet in the making, that is perfect! Just what I need. Oh! and I got my GCSE results 2 days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

A* in Biology, English, Food tech, RE A's in Chemistry, Physics, French and
ICT and a Bin maths! Is that good for the grounding of applying for a veterinary university?
Future African game vet - No problemo!
Congratulations on your GCSE results theyre great! Just keep up the hard work and determination!
i'm getting references from everywhere, then before i sedn them off i'll pick the best 4 or something. or like 1 frm vets, 1 farm, 1 stables, 1 pet shop or something like tht :biggrin:

x
Reply 76
nina_100
I wouldn't call it plenty...

You wouldnt call what plenty? The work experience before you are on the course, or that done whilst you are on the course (ems).
Reply 77
Joe87
You wouldnt call what plenty? The work experience before you are on the course, or that done whilst you are on the course (ems).

That done whilst you are on the course!
Reply 78
Phew! :p: lol
When you get to clinical years does the workload ease off a bit or is it still full on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending