The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

I'm in a similar situation dizzeedollee and I wanted to ask the question.

Literally there are no large animal vets in my area but by october I will have 2 weeks at the mixed practice (it is an excel vets as well so quite a good one). I spent 4 days doing small animal and a day out with a vet seeing some calf check ups and calving. I have another week booked in october to try and get my vets upto 4 weeks. I said to them when i booked this other week if I could go out with the LA vet all week and I think that was fine. But i have feelings like you, whether nothing much comes up, I will just be seeing the same old stuff again.

So if i do majority LA work that week I persume I could call it LA vets? I persume that the things you see on call is just the same as you would see in a LA practice?
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
I'm in a similar situation dizzeedollee and I wanted to ask the question.

Literally there are no large animal vets in my area but by october I will have 2 weeks at the mixed practice (it is an excel vets as well so quite a good one). I spent 4 days doing small animal and a day out with a vet seeing some calf check ups and calving. I have another week booked in october to try and get my vets upto 4 weeks. I said to them when i booked this other week if I could go out with the LA vet all week and I think that was fine. But i have feelings like you, whether nothing much comes up, I will just be seeing the same old stuff again.

So if i do majority LA work that week I persume I could call it LA vets? I persume that the things you see on call is just the same as you would see in a LA practice?

what's wrong with saying it's a mixed practice?
Well it looks like there isn't a problem. I thought they all wanted work experience AT a 'large animal vets'.
No, mixed is fine.
Oooh I see. I thought that we had to do equine and farm separately for it to qualify. Sorry about that :3
Reply 1145
OK, I know this is something that everyone asks, but it's troubling me. Will I have enough work experience, and what do I need more of (except everything)?

I have already done:
1 week mixed animal vets
1 week large animal vets
1 week wildlife centre
1 week dairy farm
1 week kennels
2 days at an abbatoir
and I've been going riding for 7ish years

For the summer I've got booked:
1 week small animal vets
1 week at a different small animal vets
1 week at an agricultural college/zoo

And I have 2 weeks unbooked so far...
I'm worried about my lack of lambing experience, but the lambing season will be after interviews (which sucks) so I basically won't have any lambing experience... any suggestions?
you could always try rare breed farms :3 depending on the breed, some farms may lamb as early as november so you could try one of those farms?
Original post by vetvet
OK, I know this is something that everyone asks, but it's troubling me. Will I have enough work experience, and what do I need more of (except everything)?

I have already done:
1 week mixed animal vets
1 week large animal vets
1 week wildlife centre
1 week dairy farm
1 week kennels
2 days at an abbatoir
and I've been going riding for 7ish years

For the summer I've got booked:
1 week small animal vets
1 week at a different small animal vets
1 week at an agricultural college/zoo

And I have 2 weeks unbooked so far...
I'm worried about my lack of lambing experience, but the lambing season will be after interviews (which sucks) so I basically won't have any lambing experience... any suggestions?

You need more vet experience, preferably. Maybe try and do an evening once a week at one of the vet practices you've been to, because that shows commitment. Also, riding won't count as work experience, do you help out before/after lessons? Even helping out an hour a week will add up. As for lambing, it won't necessarily be after any interviews if you can do it in February half term, and some pedigree flocks even lamb in December. Lambing is a pretty staple requirement, although people do get in without it. Even if you can only book it for next Easter, try and book a few days just to get an experience of it, it's great fun (obviously don't let it interfere with revising for A2). You could also try pigs if you have a space few days.

But you do have a lot of work experience, I know this sounds like I'm being really critical, these are just ideas :smile: Remember the minimum for Liverpool is 4 weeks at at least 2 vet practices and 6 weeks other animal experience (preferably including farm, kennels and stables). So you will have that, it's just a lot of people go above and beyond.
Do liverpool let us complete w.e upto December? So would I be ok doing my 4th week vet practice in October?

Thanks for the replies.
yes
Hey Im a newly qualified vet, just going to live at a zoo/sanctuary out in Zambia - It takes work experience and I think it would be great for EMS (much more exciting than the smallies clinic down the road!) It is called Munda Wanga and you should be able to find it on google.

Lauren
I just got a week's placement at a zoo :biggrin:
Hi everybody !
I was reading about how hard it is to find some work experience placements ...
Does anybody have any creative idea how to get such a placement if you are an EU graduate ?
Last year I was "traveling " from one vet practice to another and apparently nobody had any vacancy for work experience for a foreign graduate....
I would appreciate any kind of suggestion or information :smile:
Thanks !!
This may be a really stupid question but is it absolutely necessary to put down the name of all the places you did work experience at? It's just that by the time I will be submitting my application, I will have done work experience at 5 different vets, lambing at 3 different farms and dairy at two different farms, so I didn't want to waste space by writing 'I did lambing at so and so farm, so and so farm and so and so farm, and I did dairy at so and so farm, etc'. So would it just be okay to say 'I did lambing at 3 different farms'?
Original post by dizzeedollee
This may be a really stupid question but is it absolutely necessary to put down the name of all the places you did work experience at? It's just that by the time I will be submitting my application, I will have done work experience at 5 different vets, lambing at 3 different farms and dairy at two different farms, so I didn't want to waste space by writing 'I did lambing at so and so farm, so and so farm and so and so farm, and I did dairy at so and so farm, etc'. So would it just be okay to say 'I did lambing at 3 different farms'?

No, don't put names down. It wastes space. Just like. ' In lambing.. ect.. '
Just wondering about equine experience. I have had my own horses since I was 8 riding since I was 6, can I put this down under work experience? I have done a week at a farm with a livery yard too but im worrying about doing more?
Original post by Dominique.
Just wondering about equine experience. I have had my own horses since I was 8 riding since I was 6, can I put this down under work experience? I have done a week at a farm with a livery yard too but im worrying about doing more?

unfortunately having your own horse does not count as work experience. sorry!
this is an ems question with a simply answer so i didn't want to clog the forums with this but i just wanted to ask what exactly are the requirements for ems? i know you need 2 weeks horse, 2 weeks cows, 2 weeks pigs, 2 weeks sheep, etc, but what are the requirements for the farms? (i.e i know the pig farm needs to have at least 60 sows) and what are the requirements for the clinical ems?
I think the requirements varies between unis :smile:
Original post by dizzeedollee
this is an ems question with a simply answer so i didn't want to clog the forums with this but i just wanted to ask what exactly are the requirements for ems? i know you need 2 weeks horse, 2 weeks cows, 2 weeks pigs, 2 weeks sheep, etc, but what are the requirements for the farms? (i.e i know the pig farm needs to have at least 60 sows) and what are the requirements for the clinical ems?

Hi, at Bristol you have to do:
3 weeks lambing (placement chosen for you)
2 weeks Vet Hospital
Pig Farm ( >60 sows)
Equine ( >25 horses)
Dairy ( >100 milking herd)
You have to do one of the last 3 for 3 weeks and the other 2 for 2 weeks.

Clinical ems
16 weeks Foster Practice
6 weeks complimentary practices
1 week abbatoir or VLA (optional)
3 weeks Division of companion animals (surgery, medicine and equine)
Alternatively you can do a research project which can count to up to 8 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending