The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dizzeedollee
this is an ems question with a simply answer so i didn't want to clog the forums with this but i just wanted to ask what exactly are the requirements for ems? i know you need 2 weeks horse, 2 weeks cows, 2 weeks pigs, 2 weeks sheep, etc, but what are the requirements for the farms? (i.e i know the pig farm needs to have at least 60 sows) and what are the requirements for the clinical ems?

Yep, they vary a little bit between unis.

At the RVC, our AHEMS is:
2 weeks dairy (at least 100 cows)
2 weeks pigs (at least 60 pigs)
2 weeks stables (at least 25 horses)
2 weeks lambing (at least 200 ewes)
4 weeks free choice (different numbers stated for the type of place you go to)

But there are extra stipulations in there, you have to go to at least two breeding units. Only a certain amount can be done abroad. Errr, and probably other stuff that I can't remember! We have a big AHEMS handbook telling us what we can do, when, etc etc.

Your free choice can be more of what you have already done, but up to a max of 4 weeks per species (so you could do 2 extra weeks of horses, so 4 in all, but not 6).

We then have to do 26 weeks of clinical EMS in our 3rd/4th/5th year. I'm not quite sure what the stipulations are for when this can be done, and places etc.

Looking at the above post about Bristol, there are def some differences. Apart from the differences in weeks at places etc. We are definatly *NOT* allowed to count vet hospital work for AHEMS. It has to be strictly non-clinical. And for Clin-EMS we have to do a research project anyway, that isn't an alternative option.
(edited 12 years ago)
aaah i see, thank you :3
i was just curious because i know some places get booked up to 4 years in advance so i was wondering whether i should try to book EMS now in the unlikely case that i do get into vet school xD
Do u know any vets around Motherwell (or Glasgow) who are willing to take 15 year old for work experience?? thanks for any help :wink:
Hi

When you say an abatior what sort of experience do you ask for?...Because I'm wanting to apply to Edinburgh amoungst others which 'prefers' abatoir experience; the last thing I want to do is end up having to watch them being slaughtered unless that's what they actually want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by LizzieMid
Hi

When you say an abatior what sort of experience do you ask for?...Because I'm wanting to apply to Edinburgh amoungst others which 'prefers' abatoir experience; the last thing I want to do is end up having to watch them being slaughtered unless that's what they actually want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think that unis want you to understand the slaughter process, i.e health checks before slaughter, how to animal is slaughtered, the job of the meat inspector and how the meat is then prepared, although it would be better to check with someone who would know more than me! When I went to the abattoir, I saw the vet check the animal's welfare and overall general health, the stunning and then slaughtering and how the meat inspector checked the kidneys, liver etc for signs of cysts, nephritis etc. I wasn't looking forward to going to the abattoir, but when I was there it wasn't bad and the slaughtermen were really friendly and helpful :smile:
i might be going TB testing on monday :biggrin: has anyone done this before? can you give me any details of what will happen (I've got a rough idea of the process I think), any information really.

Do you think it's a worthwhile thing to do? Guessing it would be good to talk about at interview, current issues etc :smile:
Original post by Leigh303
i might be going TB testing on monday :biggrin: has anyone done this before? can you give me any details of what will happen (I've got a rough idea of the process I think), any information really.

Do you think it's a worthwhile thing to do? Guessing it would be good to talk about at interview, current issues etc :smile:

definitely worth doing - farm vets do a lot of TB testing!

basically, on the first day the vet injects the cattle with tuberculin from M.bovis and M.avian (for comparison) and takes skin measurements, then 72 hours later the vet returns to see if there has been a reaction, and takes skin measurements again (if necessary).
Original post by schizopear
definitely worth doing - farm vets do a lot of TB testing!

basically, on the first day the vet injects the cattle with tuberculin from M.bovis and M.avian (for comparison) and takes skin measurements, then 72 hours later the vet returns to see if there has been a reaction, and takes skin measurements again (if necessary).

really helpful, thank you, didnt know about the injections :smile:
ARGH I am so frustrated! I am 16 living in london trying to find work experience during the holidays. It is so hard, there are no rescue centres nearby. I tried London Zoo but got a letter a few months later saying they were not doing work experience during 2011. The only farm near me is great and I have done volunteer work there but there are no dairy farms or lambing placements. I can only get around on transport because my parents work full time.

If anyone lives in London and has contacts or any work experience that they have undertaken please help me I will be eternally grateful!! :smile:
Original post by Future African game vet
Hi!
I'm about to start my first year of collage and study, Biology, Chemistry, Environmetal science and French.
So far this is all the work experience I have:
5 days in mixed vets,
2 weeks kennels,
2 weeks cattery,
1 year saturday 4 hours RSPCA,
5 days dairy farm,
2 years stables (riding and helping out for hour before lesson)
3 years dog sitting and walking in local area,

is this enough so far? and how can I get into anymore vets when they keep turning me away? help!

Maybe they turn you away because they think you're about to attend your first year of a multimedia assemblage art piece.
Reply 1170
Original post by bertiejess
This is a bit of a random question, but I am going to an equine vets for a week next week and am not sure what shoes to wear - it says sensible shoes must be worn, but no trainers, so what kind of shoes could I wear?

muckers/riding boots/wellies/boots, steel toe caps etc :smile:
i'm sure wellies are fine. the vet students at my stables all wear them :3
Reply 1172
I'm going to an equine hospital on Wednesday and Thursday (:biggrin:) and I plan to wear my old riding boots. Do you work at a stables by any chance? They often have adverts up for people selling old riding gear :smile:
Original post by bertiejess
I would wear wellies, but am worried that I will look really silly walking around in bright pink Hunter wellies. What did anyone that has been to an equine hospital wear as footwear?

I just wore walking boots.
Original post by alizasauras
ARGH I am so frustrated! I am 16 living in london trying to find work experience during the holidays. It is so hard, there are no rescue centres nearby. I tried London Zoo but got a letter a few months later saying they were not doing work experience during 2011. The only farm near me is great and I have done volunteer work there but there are no dairy farms or lambing placements. I can only get around on transport because my parents work full time.

If anyone lives in London and has contacts or any work experience that they have undertaken please help me I will be eternally grateful!! :smile:

Where in London are you? I could possibly get you work experience at a livery yard if you want to do more stable work?
Original post by MediterraneanX
Where in London are you? I could possibly get you work experience at a livery yard if you want to do more stable work?

South London, urm Sutton
Hi,

If I were to apply for experience in a lab, would it need to be a medical- or animal-related lab, or just a lab to do with any form of science?
I'm starting 5 days at (another) small animal vet practice today, and should probably get a reference - when shall I ask for it (asap?) and what needs to be in it? Thanks :smile:
Does anyone know how common it is to be refused work experience by kennels/catteries due to their insurance restrictions? It's so frustrating I can't seem to get hold of any cat/dog experience! On a related question does anyone know if personal insurance (ie by virtue of my horses' insurance) would stretch to covering me in work experience situations? Any advice is appreciated.
I doubt it would cover you, I got refused by a few places for insurance reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending