The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VETwannabe
Wow, she sounds horrible. First of all, doing a 4th A level does nothing for your application. Most people only do 3 and most universities only ask for 3 and even say that they prefer 3 that you've done well, rather than 4, because it will make it more difficult for you to get the high grades you need for vet school. So that's not even an issue. As for EPQs, is that not specific to which board you do? Back when I was doing my A levels, we never had to do an EPQ, and I made it to vet school just fine without one.
Secondly, she can't be the judge of how good or bad your work experience is. If you've looked at the requirements that each university has, and you've met those requirements, then you're fine. Obviously, the more experience you have, the better you look to the universities. Most people aim for the requirements that Liverpool ask for because they're the most that any uni will ask you to do.
Thirdly, you can't bribe a university to 'let you in'. Students get onto the course based on their own hard work and work experience, so you're right, she's definitely talking rubbish there. Her parents can't do anything to give her an advantage over you there.
It sounds like she's trying to put you down so that you're not much of a competition to her. That's a bit weird because you won't get very far in life (or in the vet industry) with an attitude like hers. You need to be good with people and it doesn't sound like she is. If she acts like she's better than everyone else and acts all arrogant, she might not even get into vet school because interviewers probably won't appreciate someone who thinks they know everything.
As for your grades, as long as you aim for 3 As and work hard for them, hopefully you'll make it. I have friends at vet school who've gotten in with AAB grades and some even with ABB! Don't count on those though, but you see, it's not impossible. You should never give up hope!

Ok so tell me, what are your expected grades and how much work experience do you have (and with which species)?

(Oh and sorry for the essay. It annoys me when people treat others unfairly).

Yeh I was thinking this girl is great in paper but then has no emotions so would be very empathetic. My targets just for college are BBB but I have mocks in about two weeks which they will base our Ucas prediction off as well as all the individual test and on all those small tests I have got nothing lower then an A ( accept for one B in biology where they moved the grades) so if they don't change my predicted grades for ucas to As I will be a bit annoyed as my targets would then be lower then what I am working at
My work experience so far is two weeks in an animal sanctuary with dogs, cats, horses , owls , chickens
I have 2 weeks small vets booked and 1 week mixed vets
I am doing a training course in horse care and management I have booked 2 days at an abattoir and want to do a few days in a hydrotherapy clinic and mabey try and get farm work but the closes ones are miles away with no transport links and I can't drive yet and my parents will lot take me which is really helpful
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dani7454567
Yeh I was thinking this girl is great in paper but then has no emotions so would be very empathetic. My targets just for college are BBB but I have mocks in about two weeks which they will base our Ucas prediction off as well as all the individual test and on all those small tests I have got nothing lower then an A ( accept for one B in biology where they moved the grades) so if they don't change my predicted grades for ucas to As I will be a bit annoyed as my targets would then be lower then what I am working at
My work experience so far is two weeks in an animal sanctuary with dogs, cats, horses , owls , chickens
I have 2 weeks small vets booked and 1 week mixed vets
I am doing a training course in horse care and management I have booked 2 days at an abattoir and want to do a few days in a hydrotherapy clinic and mabey try and get farm work but the closes ones are miles away with no transport links and I can't drive yet and my parents will lot take me which is really helpful

Hmm.. how nice are your teachers? I remember that my tutor was really supportive when I told her I wanted to apply for vet school and she kindly predicted me the grades that I needed. It seems like you could definitely get three A's from what you've told me.

Ooh, I did a training course in horse care and management too! That's how I got all of my horsey experience. I did it over 3 months, going 1 day a week :smile: Have you tried to see if you can stay over at a farm? A lot of them can give you accommodation. My parents weren't up for it so I had to look nearby (they were a bit too overprotective at the time) but if yours will let you go, then you can get experience lambing next Easter which will be great for your application, and you can also stay over a dairy or beef farm (if you can spend the money for travel). I think you'd need a bit more of the small animals as well. See if you can get another couple of weeks in a kennels/cattery rather than doing the hydrotherapy (it'll be more valuable to you than hydrotherapy which is great but is considered an 'extra', rather than a core requirement). If you can do another week at a vets as well (to make up 4 weeks), then that's better too. focus on the core species that you need first, then think about the extras :smile:

Also, if you don't think you can get in this year (either because of your grades or if you think you won't have time to get all the experience) then a gap year is totally fine and I really recommend it. So many people don't get in the first time, take a year out, get more experience, and then get in the second time. So don't feel like you'll miss out if you don't make it for 2017 entry. honestly the age ranges at university are really varied and if you do end up taking a year out, you'll probably be the same age as a lot of the students in your year at vet school, when you do make it :smile:
Hmm.. how nice are your teachers? I remember that my tutor was really supportive when I told her I wanted to apply for vet school and she kindly predicted me the grades that I needed. It seems like you could definitely get three A's from what you've told me.

Ooh, I did a training course in horse care and management too! That's how I got all of my horsey experience. I did it over 3 months, going 1 day a week :smile: Have you tried to see if you can stay over at a farm? A lot of them can give you accommodation. My parents weren't up for it so I had to look nearby (they were a bit too overprotective at the time) but if yours will let you go, then you can get experience lambing next Easter which will be great for your application, and you can also stay over a dairy or beef farm (if you can spend the money for travel). I think you'd need a bit more of the small animals as well. See if you can get another couple of weeks in a kennels/cattery rather than doing the hydrotherapy (it'll be more valuable to you than hydrotherapy which is great but is considered an 'extra', rather than a core requirement). If you can do another week at a vets as well (to make up 4 weeks), then that's better too. focus on the core species that you need first, then think about the extras :smile:

Also, if you don't think you can get in this year (either because of your grades or if you think you won't have time to get all the experience) then a gap year is totally fine and I really recommend it. So many people don't get in the first time, take a year out, get more experience, and then get in the second time. So don't feel like you'll miss out if you don't make it for 2017 entry. honestly the age ranges at university are really varied and if you do end up taking a year out, you'll probably be the same age as a lot of the students in your year at vet school, when you do make it :smile:

Yeh I was going to try and apply this year with multiple courses (gateway and normal) at the same uni so if I don't get in I'll take a gap year and I can then apply to others
And in the websites they specify 2 weeks clinical and 2 weeks husbandry for rvc but the others are just 6 weeks in animal related things
My dad was going to try and get me in with the police dogs because he is friend with a dog handler but i don't think that will happen as I haven't heard back in a while
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeh I was going to try and apply this year with multiple courses (gateway and normal) at the same uni so if I don't get in I'll take a gap year and I can then apply to others

Sounds like a plan! Just a small piece of advice I want to give you. Don't let this other girl who also wants to be vet get to you. You have to believe in yourself. When I was applying, I only knew 1 other person who wanted to be a vet, too, but we were really supportive of each other. She got in after she took a gap year, and I got in a few years later after I did a degree. Point is, it's your future and you shouldn't let others try and get you down. Just because you don't know any other people who want to be a vet, it doesn't mean that you should stick to the only person you do know, especially since she sounds like she's got a stick up her butt.

Good luck Dani. (and just in case you need some motivation, I believe in you!) :smile:
Sounds like a plan! Just a small piece of advice I want to give you. Don't let this other girl who also wants to be vet get to you. You have to believe in yourself. When I was applying, I only knew 1 other person who wanted to be a vet, too, but we were really supportive of each other. She got in after she took a gap year, and I got in a few years later after I did a degree. Point is, it's your future and you shouldn't let others try and get you down. Just because you don't know any other people who want to be a vet, it doesn't mean that you should stick to the only person you do know, especially since she sounds like she's got a stick up her butt.

Good luck Dani. (and just in case you need some motivation, I believe in you!) :smile:

Oh thank u, and yeh I don't care about when I get in as long as I do in the end who knows mabey I will get in first time and she won't because work experience will only get u so far people have got in with 6 weeks experience over people who have years so it must be down to thing like personality so why should not get a chance 😄
Hi I've done:
3 weeks small animal vets
1 week zoo
2 weeks stables
1 week open farm
1 week animal lab work
1 week lambing
2 days equine vet
And I have a Saturday job at a Racehorse stud

And I have planned for this summer:
1 week dairy
1 week equine hospital
1 day abattoir

Will this be enough? How important is it to do cattery/kennels work? I dogs walk does that count?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lauren1999
Hi I've done:
3 weeks small animal vets
1 week zoo
2 weeks stables
1 week open farm
1 week animal lab work
1 week lambing
2 days equine vet
And I have a Saturday job at a Racehorse stud

And I have planned for this summer:
1 week dairy
1 week equine hospital
1 day abattoir

Will this be enough? How important is it to do cattery/kennels work? I dogs walk does that count?

Thanks!

Hi I think that's plenty, ( but remember they only count it if it is done within 18 months of applying ) what year are u applying
(edited 7 years ago)
That's not the case for all Vet schools though? Some count back further than that, this September
Original post by Lauren1999
That's not the case for all Vet schools though? Some count back further than that, this September

Yeh some do most of them say you can talk about it and it great but you cant count it towards your 6 weeks or 10 for Liverpool
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeh some do most of them say you can talk about it and it great but you cant count it towards your 6 weeks or 10 for Liverpool

I am feeling so angry with myself. The dairy farmer who had said 'yes', just send me the dates I can do, is now not responding to emails and so it looks like my placement is not going to happen. I just kept giving him and extra week....

I'm looking for a dairy farm in West Midlands, Warwickshire, Coventry, Litchfield, area id anyone knows anyone who is reliable. I've just spent the last three hours again on google and the phone and not getting anywhere.

I'd be really grateful
Original post by coupezaj
I am feeling so angry with myself. The dairy farmer who had said 'yes', just send me the dates I can do, is now not responding to emails and so it looks like my placement is not going to happen. I just kept giving him and extra week....

I'm looking for a dairy farm in West Midlands, Warwickshire, Coventry, Litchfield, area id anyone knows anyone who is reliable. I've just spent the last three hours again on google and the phone and not getting anywhere.

I'd be really grateful

Same thing always happens to me you sort it all out then u phone up a couple of weeks before to see if it is still ok for you to come and they act like they have no idea who you are I am also from the West Midlands ( birmigham area) and can't find any farms it's not a very good area for work experience
I'm from Birmingham (Sutton Coldfield) and managed to find vets, childrens farm, dairy, lambing, kennels/training Guide Dogs and even camels and poultry. PM me if you need any details but persistence is key. I would generally hand deliver a letter so they knew who I was and could sort dates then and there or give them a call.

coupezaj not sure if it's one of the contacts I gave you but they were fine with me, if not try one of the other two.
Original post by lwescott
I'm from Birmingham (Sutton Coldfield) and managed to find vets, childrens farm, dairy, lambing, kennels/training Guide Dogs and even camels and poultry. PM me if you need any details but persistence is key. I would generally hand deliver a letter so they knew who I was and could sort dates then and there or give them a call.

coupezaj not sure if it's one of the contacts I gave you but they were fine with me, if not try one of the other two.

I read your blog and now I'm a fan!

Actually it was, he was so nice on the phone and apologetic and I sent him the dates I could do but when I call him he promises to get back to me and then doesn't. This has happened at least twice now.

On a positive note, I have had no problems elsewhere. I had lots of vet placements last year and have more set up for the summer including a week at Newmarket. I've been lambing twice now and will be going back at Easter because I absolutely love it.
And in the websites they specify 2 weeks clinical and 2 weeks husbandry for rvc but the others are just 6 weeks in animal related things
My dad was going to try and get me in with the police dogs because he is friend with a dog handler but i don't think that will happen as I haven't heard back in a while

I go to a VERY competitive school but the only other girl who wanted to do vet med has now left. That leaves everyone else as doctors and engineers. I'm kind of relieved but I know other people who are applying and we are doing a placement together and trying to be encouraging rather than trying to knock each other down. This is a really new experience for me rather than being told by people in my year that I'm not as clever as they are. At the end of the day, you just have to put your head down and ignore her. Maybe she is far more insecure than she is letting on and maybe she is just trying to feel better about her chances. It is ugly !

I have found this website really helpful, especially some of the messages from current students, advice and contacts to call. You don't say where you are living. I may have info to share ?
Original post by coupezaj
I go to a VERY competitive school but the only other girl who wanted to do vet med has now left. That leaves everyone else as doctors and engineers. I'm kind of relieved but I know other people who are applying and we are doing a placement together and trying to be encouraging rather than trying to knock each other down. This is a really new experience for me rather than being told by people in my year that I'm not as clever as they are. At the end of the day, you just have to put your head down and ignore her. Maybe she is far more insecure than she is letting on and maybe she is just trying to feel better about her chances. It is ugly !

I have found this website really helpful, especially some of the messages from current students, advice and contacts to call. You don't say where you are living. I may have info to share ?

Yeh I was a bit shocked when she said those things especially because evyone on the website who wants be be vets are really encouraging and kind I live in the West Midlands in the birmigham area
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Ish. It was a bit of a dodgy below minimum wage cash in hand type thing, and anyway it was with animals, so I just mentioned it as work experience. I had other extracurriculars to mention that weren't animal related.

I did :smile: I got into RVC, Edinburgh, Bristol and Liverpool and I'm now a first year at the RVC :smile:

Hi just wondering as you go to the rvc how much does it matter if you can't get farm work Cus I missed lambing season and I can find a farm that does work experience. Do they count work experience if you have booked it for after you have applied ? And I am going to the rvc tomorrow for the second time to sign up for some e mentoring thing and I am so excited
Hi does anyone know of any farms that do lambing in and around the birmigham area. I have tried google and I can't find anything also any large or mixed practices that take students who aren't at uni
Hi does anyone know of any farms that do lambing in and around the birmigham area. I have tried google and I can't find anything also any large or mixed practices that take students who aren't at uni

Check this website later in the year: http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/next-generation/jobs-work-experience/lambing-experience/
Lambing work experience places, most of them offer accommodation as well.
The list is not live yet for next year though. You have to wait
Original post by Nessie162
Check this website later in the year: http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/next-generation/jobs-work-experience/lambing-experience/
Lambing work experience places, most of them offer accommodation as well.
The list is not live yet for next year though. You have to wait

Ok thank u so much
Living near Birmingham finding it hard to get dairy farm and large animal vet experience. Any contacts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Have 2 weeks vets, 2 weeks rescue centre, 3 weeks livery and stables, 2 weeks children's animal farm, have been advised by Liverpool need some experience in large animal vet practice, going in farm vet taster week course through RVC in holidays, but this might not count. HELP! Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending