The Student Room Group

Bristol Interview offer next week :'(

So I got an interview offer from Bristol University an hour ago inviting me to an interview, but the only available date is next week Wednesday at 9AM. Is it worth me taking this with such little time to prepare or should I just say I can't attend and let them give me another interview date?? I feel like its a bit unfair to give me such little notice :'(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moodicrus
So I got an interview offer from Bristol University an hour ago inviting me to an interview, but the only available date is next week Wednesday at 9AM. Is it worth me taking this with such little time to prepare or should I just say I can't attend and let them give me another interview date?? I feel like its a bit unfair to give me such little notice :'(

Just wait they'll add in more dates. If you're still anxious ring them up about when they'll add more times
Reply 2

Everyone else will have had a similar amount of time to prepare, so it'd be a pretty poor excuse for wanting to postpone. Suck it up and do what you can - at least you won't be over-prepared!
Original post by Millie-3
Just wait they'll add in more dates. If you're still anxious ring them up about when they'll add more times

Also I'd stick to asking such questions in the Bristol Med thread where people are in similar positions and better able and motivated to answer you
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
Everyone else will have had a similar amount of time to prepare, so it'd be a pretty poor excuse for wanting to postpone. Suck it up and do what you can - at least you won't be over-prepared!

People have been getting interviews for Bristol for weeks now and all of the later dates have been taken up. It's strange because all the interview registrations on the days preceding and the days after it are closed. It feels like someone has bailed out last minute and they've just given me their slot
Reply 5
Original post by Millie-3

I'll try thanks!
Reply 6
People have been getting interviews for Bristol for weeks now and all of the later dates have been taken up. It's strange because all the interview registrations on the days preceding and the days after it are closed. It feels like someone has bailed out last minute and they've just given me their slot

Maybe they have. But to be honest I don't think you need a huge amount of time to prepare, and I wouldn't want to piss them off by trying to rearrange without a solid reason.
Reply 7
Original post by Helenia
Maybe they have. But to be honest I don't think you need a huge amount of time to prepare, and I wouldn't want to piss them off by trying to rearrange without a solid reason.

Well I'd rather risk a slight annoyance than a messed up interview
I'm don't understand why an interview needs a lot of special preparation - its not an exam. You should be able to go to an interview (with a favourable diary) the very next day.
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke
I'm don't understand why an interview needs a lot of special preparation - its not an exam. You should be able to go to an interview (with a favourable diary) the very next day.

If its the difference between me getting into medical school and me NOT getting into medical school, is it really that hard to understand why I want a comfortable amount of time to prepare? YES and I can go in there and talk about all I've done to prepare etc. on Wednesday, but would it be my best? No, hence why I'm considering postponing.
If its the difference between me getting into medical school and me NOT getting into medical school, is it really that hard to understand why I want a comfortable amount of time to prepare? YES and I can go in there and talk about all I've done to prepare etc. on Wednesday, but would it be my best? No, hence why I'm considering postponing.

Let me re-phrase: I do not understand what there is to prepare for such an interview that would be worthwhile. You are going to be quizzed on your motivation, your expectations of a medical career, your relevant experience and what it has taught you, your attitudes and understanding, your academic ability, your personal characteristics, probably in less than an hour. Most of these require no preparation at all.

How much preparation do you think would make a difference? Do you intend to revise the entire chemistry syllabus? You could cram subjects for months and not feel prepared, and be wrong about it.
Reply 11
Original post by Good bloke
Let me re-phrase: I do not understand what there is to prepare for such an interview that would be worthwhile. You are going to be quizzed on your motivation, your expectations of a medical career, your relevant experience and what it has taught you, your attitudes and understanding, your academic ability, your personal characteristics, probably in less than an hour. Most of these require no preparation at all.

How much preparation do you think would make a difference? Do you intend to revise the entire chemistry syllabus? You could cram subjects for months and not feel prepared, and be wrong about it.

I get what you mean, I just don't wanna mess this up at all. I also need to research the course and the university and I've never had an interview before, let alone an MMI
Well I'd rather risk a slight annoyance than a messed up interview

I'm with Good Bloke on this - you don't need more than 4 days to adequately prepare. In fact, I'd use your argument the other way - if you really want to get into med school you will take this opportunity and use it, rather than risk losing it by messing them about rearranging. Saying they're being unfair is a bit whiny tbh.

Did you not research the course and university before you applied? Brush up on that - it won't take long.
Reply 13
Original post by Helenia
I'm with Good Bloke on this - you don't need more than 4 days to adequately prepare. In fact, I'd use your argument the other way - if you really want to get into med school you will take this opportunity and use it, rather than risk losing it by messing them about rearranging. Saying they're being unfair is a bit whiny tbh.

Did you not research the course and university before you applied? Brush up on that - it won't take long.

I did of course, but it was a while ago and I can't remember some of the specifics of the course since its undergone some changes. I might be overreacting but I just want to make the best decision I can.
Give the interview to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did of course, but it was a while ago and I can't remember some of the specifics of the course since its undergone some changes. I might be overreacting but I just want to make the best decision I can.

If you really don't think you can prepare by Wednesday (which you totally can) then you could contact them to see if there will be any later slots available, but if there aren't then obviously the best decision is to take that interview slot and go for it! You sound quite panicked, and tbh none of the preparation stuff you've mentioned should take more than the time you've got - you don't want to be over-prepared and freeze up if it's not what you were expecting.

You are going to have to deal with lots of time-pressured situations in your career with less preparation than this - it's a skill worth having!
Original post by Helenia

You are going to have to deal with lots of time-pressured situations in your career with less preparation than this - it's a skill worth having!

Not to mention the fact that few employers will give any interview candidate as long as a week's notice for an employment interview.
Use the weekend to comb through your interview skills - see where your weaknesses lie and where you need to brush up. Cover all the basic questions like why Bristol and make some notes on your personal statement. Are Bristol MMI? If so, concentrate on learning some medical ethics and current affairs to catch up. This should take the whole weekend and then you have two more days to just focus on interview skills. You'll be fine!
Reply 18
Original post by Helenia
If you really don't think you can prepare by Wednesday (which you totally can) then you could contact them to see if there will be any later slots available, but if there aren't then obviously the best decision is to take that interview slot and go for it! You sound quite panicked, and tbh none of the preparation stuff you've mentioned should take more than the time you've got - you don't want to be over-prepared and freeze up if it's not what you were expecting.

Thanks, I've had a night to sleep on it and in retrospect I WAS just a bit panicky, but thanks for at least providing some advice
Reply 19
Original post by studentsixth
Use the weekend to comb through your interview skills - see where your weaknesses lie and where you need to brush up. Cover all the basic questions like why Bristol and make some notes on your personal statement. Are Bristol MMI? If so, concentrate on learning some medical ethics and current affairs to catch up. This should take the whole weekend and then you have two more days to just focus on interview skills. You'll be fine!

Yup thats exactly what I'm gonna do, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest