The Student Room Group

Journey to become the economist,first stepA*AA

I thought I'd start with saying a bit about myself. I am a crazy football fan who loves to watch it play it and play games such as fifa. I like watching series on netflix as well as soaps and the flash. I obviously like doing other stuff but they are the main things i do nowadays.Academically i want to study economics at uni which has been a great passion of mine since doing the gcse. A bit more about my economic interests are below.

Spoiler

At GCSE's I was quite happy achieving 3A*s4As2Bs and a C however was dissapointed when hannahs sweets put me off sweets as i only got an A in maths but wanted an A*.

I then went onto study maths further maths economics and physics at AS where my grades where ABBD respectively however i was one mark off an A in economics even after a remark! Also further maths i was 6 UMS off. Maths module info down below

Spoiler

I inevitably dropped physics and continued with maths further maths economics and have been predicted A*AA respectively.

I want to study economics preferably at Warwick or UCL but have also applied to LSE (for maths and economics so probably wont get an offer but oh well) who all want A*AA but also york and leeds who want AAB and AAA respectively. I will update the progress of my applications here

Spoiler

If i dont get into one of those this year i may take a gap year not certainly but it's food for thought.

I havent really revised since A2 statted mainly been busy doing ucas and been stressing about other stuff but now I plan to start.
I hope to update this a couple of times a week at least

I'm starting this blog so that I can look back on my journey and at least say "I worked hard for this", and so that I have some sort of pressure keeping me going.

If you do know who I am, I would prefer to remain anonymous. If I can't get that I'd rather not be ridiculed for anything personal that I have shared

LETS DO THIS
A*AA I'm coming to get you(hopefully) :bl::troll::kungfu:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngkeynes
I thought I'd start with saying a bit about myself. I am a crazy football fan who loves to watch it play it and play games such as fifa. I like watching series on netflix as well as soaps and the flash. I obviously like doing other stuff but they are the main things i do nowadays.Academically i want to study economics at uni which has been a great passion of mine since doing the gcse. A bit more about my economic interests are below.

Spoiler

At GCSE's I was quite happy achieving 3A*s4As2Bs and a C however was dissapointed when hannahs sweets put me off sweets as i only got an A in maths but wanted an A*.

I then went onto study maths further maths economics and physics at AS where my grades where ABBA respectively however i was one mark off an A in economics even after a remark! Also further maths i was 6 UMS off. Maths module info down below

Spoiler

I dropped physics and continued with maths further maths economics and have been predicted A*AA respectively.

I want to study economics preferably at Warwick or UCL but have also applied to LSE (for maths and economics so probably wont get an offer but oh well) who all want A*AA but also york and leeds who want AAB and AAA respectively. I will update the progress of my applications here

Spoiler

If i dont get into one of those this year i may take a gap year not certainly but it's food for thought.

I havent really revised since A2 statted mainly been busy doing ucas and been stressing about other stuff but now I plan to start.
I hope to update this a couple of times a week at least

I'm starting this blog so that I can look back on my journey and at least say "I worked hard for this", and so that I have some sort of pressure keeping me going.

If you do know who I am, I would prefer to remain anonymous. If I can't get that I'd rather not be ridiculed for anything personal that I have shared

LETS DO THIS A*AA (hopefully)here i come:bl::troll::kungfu:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Been pretty unproductive so far which is quite sad considerring i just started this blog.
Yesterday i was just mainly keeping up with politics once again being dissapointed and frustrated at Theresea Mays proposals as she is still not making clear the next steps after brexit and reassuring members of the economy
Back to work thenni just finished some fp2 hw about 10qs from the textbook along with doing some s2 revision going over examples and a couple of questiins from binomial distribution
I decided recently i will make notes on ecomkmics chapter 1 for behavioural chapter 8 for financial markets as those two tooics there is a lot of new information to take in howeverthe rest i have learnt so far (only chap 123 and 78) i feel just readjng the textbook is enough
Havjng just got home after football i plan to write an hour worth of chap 1 econ notes and go through c3 differentiation as i have c3 mock tomorrow having finished it innschool its last topic i need to cover by maybe watchung videos or doing a few mixed exercise questions
Chosen to do m2 but only focus on it jn school so wont post about it here and as i am aiming form90s in c3 c4 and doing s2 again don't think i need tomdo exceptionally well on it as the modules can swap
Last couple of days have been quite unproductive sadly been sortingout drama and now should be on a steady road
I have completed this week :
1/8 topics on econ chapter 8
S2 chapter 4 with a few qs butnleft mixed exercises
Half of s2 chap7
C3 done school mock
Had a test on fp2 first order differential equations which i thought I'd mastered but hey i was so wrong
Halfway through behavioural ecojomics notes
Aims are to
Finish behavioural econ notes chap 1
Getbhakfway through econ chap 8 notes
Finish second order differential equations to catch up with my class
Do some c3 solomons and do some work on d1 which i have neglected
All over nextb3/4days
Been somewhat productive however need to do more
Since last posted
-econ notes on chap 1 almost done about one topic left
Notes on chap 8 started about 3topics left
Finished 3 exercises in second order differential equations fp2 need to do 2 more but waiting to learn them
Finished going though s2 again and done questiins on hypothesis testing
My new aims are to
Finish econ chap1 notes
Get halfway through econ chap8 notes
Try a c3 paper and make notes for s2
Do some d1 questions
All over next 2/3 days
Reply 7
Hi! I'm in A level and do Econs as well, If you need a study group, please PM me for details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Watchingfootball meant i was quite unproductive yesterday
I barely finished d1 hw and done like one small topics worth of notes for economics and one s2 question not very happy with myself
Aims over next few days is to
Finish chap7 and chap 6 s2
Finish fp2 2nd order differential equations
Start fp2 inequalities
More notes for econ on chap8 and begin to read up on fiscal policy
Do a c3 paper
Reply 9
I pmed you Keynes

Posted from TSR Mobile
On a standard day I do about halfan hours worth of work at school an horurs homework at home and about 2 hours revision at home on Sundays i try to do about 4 hours and fridays and Saturdays i chill but only do homework however i may startrevising for a couple of hours on a Saturday as workload is forever increasing
I hope you have some break within your study time
I also study Economics, Maths but Accounting instead of F.Maths at A levels :wink:
Original post by Trevish
I hope you have some break within your study time
I also study Economics, Maths but Accounting instead of F.Maths at A levels :wink:

Cool where you applying and what for
Original post by Youngkeynes
Cool where you applying and what for

I haven't decided about applying soon because my A level year starts on 9 Jan ( I'm from Mauritius) but I'm planning to do something mostly related with Accounting
Short day at school today more d1 work oiled up which i must do however not rrally putting much effort overall in D1 just aiming form90s in c3 c4 to cushion a not so bothered d1 work ethic as it is so boring and can not see myself getting more than 70ish:frown:
After discussing with teachers and learning about modules and meetjng my predictrd grades i have decided i am retaking s2 to bump up my further maths and the modules i will therefore sit this year for maths and further maths are
C3
C4
D1
Fp2
Fp3
S3
S2 resit
M2 was way too hard for me as soon as we was doing centres of mass i think lots of statistics wiol also be good for economics so here we go s2 s3:biggrin:
For further maths i have finished selfteaching c4 partiak fractions which did not take long and integration which took soooo long:s-smilie: tried vectors which is needed for fp3 but it was too hard and i learnt the basics of implicit differentiation but the rest i am waiting for teachers too teach
Thought i would give a list of my current position in each module below

Spoiler

After playing football really late on Monday in the cold I have a really bad cold so I forced myself to go to my fp2 and econ lesson yesterday but didn't go maths and all I got done was two padt papers
C3 June 2005 65/75
S2 june2005 49/75
C3 was decent for first proper paper altho I want to get high 90 to relieve pressure of c4 whilst s2 was a bad flop maybe partly due to my cold but shows I need to go through it again thoroughly and actually do some questions
Probably won't go in next few days or try to do any work apart from homework until I'm better
Woke up late again today like yesterday so ended up missing two maths and one macro lesson over last 2 days however the maths was just some c4 integration which we started which is only topic apart from parietal fractions I properly know so not too bad
Halfway through s2 chapter 6 notes on definitions on samples etc and finished chapter 1 of s3 whilst reading first small topic of taxation and fiscal policy for econ chap 9 which was basically AS not too productive overall
Quite happy with Man Uniteds 4-1- win over the hammers last night and Arsenal's inevitable minor tragedy
Anywhof tomorrow going out with friends and so over the weekend I plan to
Do a c3 paper and learn ab9ut arcx equation stuff
Finish s2 chapter 7 notes and get through chap 1 and 2 potentially
Finish up to half of econ chap 8 notes and chap 2 notes
Read ahead on fiscal policy and monopolies and hw
Finish fp2 exercises on secono order differential equations
Do c4 integration hw if any is set
Start s3 chapter need to work very hard will have to work Saturday as out most of Sunday as I'm going to mates to watch united game
The economist must get through this with his illness!
planning on the same thing and i've applied to similar unis for the same course. I somewhat regret not doing further maths, but at the same time I don't think I could get an A* in maths in one year ( In my collage, we do the full A level for maths in one year, then just focus on further maths at A2). Good luck mate
Original post by Suprite
planning on the same thing and i've applied to similar unis for the same course. I somewhat regret not doing further maths, but at the same time I don't think I could get an A* in maths in one year ( In my collage, we do the full A level for maths in one year, then just focus on further maths at A2). Good luck mate

Ahh cool what's ur situation browse and yeah I would hate to do all of a2 in one year too difficult in my opinion thanks:biggrin:
So been quite an unproductive weekend again with me catching up on TV shows such as flash and suits whilst being so dissapointed at United today but I guess saw an amazing game as Bournemouth beat Liverpool but fellaini ruined my day:angry:
After watching two games today I done half an exercise worth of second order differential equations and I aim to do all the questions as I really struggled with this topic
Yesterday before playing football I completed some more notes on the financial markets but that's all really special all in dissapointing weekend in terms of revision got barely anything done quite annoyed tbf but had some social issues also distracting me
:s-smilie:
Hopefully over next few days up till friday I will
Finish chap 6 s2
Start chap 3 s3
Finish second order differential equations
Finish two economics essay hw
Near finishing chap 8 macrp notes and start chap 2 notes for micro
Do an s2 paper and maybe some c4 work if I find time

Hopefully I stick to it this time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending