The Student Room Group

Is it too late to change my a level choices?

My a level choices are Biology, Chemistry and History. I did initially have Psychology also at the start of the year but I found it boring so I dropped it. The thing is now I absolutely HATE History. I dread going to the lessons because my teachers are awful. I haven't learnt hardly anything compared to my other subjects and I keep scoring low on my essays. I got an A in GCSE History btw. My teachers are saying I'm currently on a D grade and they often mention in front of the class at how bad I am doing (it's not just me a couple of my friends are in the same situation). At the moment it seems impossible to get a good grade! I'm predicted an A in Bio and Chem but a C in history now!! The point is, is it too late to take up another subject and catch up? I'm thinking about taking English lit which I got an A in also but I'm not sure if it's too late or not?
Original post by Saffron76
My a level choices are Biology, Chemistry and History. I did initially have Psychology also at the start of the year but I found it boring so I dropped it. The thing is now I absolutely HATE History. I dread going to the lessons because my teachers are awful. I haven't learnt hardly anything compared to my other subjects and I keep scoring low on my essays. I got an A in GCSE History btw. My teachers are saying I'm currently on a D grade and they often mention in front of the class at how bad I am doing (it's not just me a couple of my friends are in the same situation). At the moment it seems impossible to get a good grade! I'm predicted an A in Bio and Chem but a C in history now!! The point is, is it too late to take up another subject and catch up? I'm thinking about taking English lit which I got an A in also but I'm not sure if it's too late or not?

An A/A* at GCSE doesn't ensure instant great grades at a level. The jump is huge and it's all about (in essay subjects anyway) having a mature writing style and knowing widely about the subject at hand. I do both English lit and History and while English is definitely less demanding than history it's still very essay focused. It might be worth talking to your PT about swapping, in my class we have made it through our first play though, and written all the essays on it. However, it's always worth a try if you're unhappy. You should never do something that makes you unhappy :smile:
I'm guessing that you've now made a decision after 3 weeks of writing this post, but switching A Levels is really not a bad idea if you're not enjoying a subject, even if you've missed like 8 weeks or whatever. After all, you're spending so many hours a week on each of your subjects so you may as well enjoy them! I was in a similar position after ½ term as I decided to switch an A Level subject (to Psychology), there was lots to catch up on however I am now very much enjoying it and so all the catching up was worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest