The Student Room Group

GCSEs - important

Every year hundreds of good applicants are rejected because they either didn't read the GCSE requirements - or they thought that somehow this did not apply to them.

GCSEs matter. If the Uni says it wants 6 A grades and/or A grades in specific subjects and you dont have them, your application will go straight on the NO pile. it doesnt matter how good your A level predictions are. if you fail the GCSE test, your application will stop right there, without the Uni looking any further or even bothering to read your PS.

This means you can fail to get an interview just because you have GCSE English Language at B and not A. Yes, it really IS that basic. So read the full admissions requirement properly, and never ever assume that they wont notice that B grade. They will.
Reply 1
Original post by returnmigrant
Every year hundreds of good applicants are rejected because they either didn't read the GCSE requirements - or they thought that somehow this did not apply to them.

GCSEs matter. If the Uni says it wants 6 A grades and/or A grades in specific subjects and you dont have them, your application will go straight on the NO pile. it doesnt matter how good your A level predictions are. if you fail the GCSE test, your application will stop right there, without the Uni looking any further or even bothering to read your PS.

This means you can fail to get an interview just because you have GCSE English Language at B and not A. Yes, it really IS that basic. So read the full admissions requirement properly, and never ever assume that they wont notice that B grade. They will.

I thought most applicants knew that they had to meet basic GCSE requirements I order for their application to be considered.
Original post by S2M
I thought most applicants knew that they had to meet basic GCSE requirements I order for their application to be considered.

From my work this weekend, many clearly don't.
Reply 3

Ah, this thread should help applicants understand that I guess. It's Medicine too I mean they should already know the strict process.

:O
Which uni?
The uni that i want to apply to in the future says that the applicant must have a GCSE in a MFL which i don't however there is a loophole as i can still apply as long as i do a short course in language at uni, but does that mean my chances are low in getting an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending