The Student Room Group

GCSEs - important

Every year hundreds of good applicants are rejected because they either didn't read the GCSE requirements - or they thought that this bit did not actually apply to them.

GCSEs matter. If the Uni says it wants 4 GCSEs at B or above and/or A grades in specific subjects and you dont have them, your application will go straight on the NO pile. it doesnt matter how good your A level predictions are. if you fail the GCSE test, your application will stop right there, without the Uni looking any further, or even bothering to read your PS.

This means you might fail to get an offer just because you have GCSE English Language at C and not B. Yes, it really IS that basic. So read the full admissions requirement properly, and never ever assume that they wont notice that C grade. They will.

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
Why do people feel the need to act like teachers on this forum... if you can't read entry requirements on a website then you deserve to go in the no pile.
I would also point out that what a university states as a general admissions policy and their decision upon individual applications doesn't always correlate. I know plenty of people who are/were at university without meeting all entry requirements. I am currently in the application process for a course which I do not meet the GCSE requirements of. Despite this I have made it past the initial rejection process and been granted interviews.
If your heart is truly set on something then go for it!
Reply 4
Original post by VMD100
I would also point out that what a university states as a general admissions policy and their decision upon individual applications doesn't always correlate. I know plenty of people who are/were at university without meeting all entry requirements. I am currently in the application process for a course which I do not meet the GCSE requirements of. Despite this I have made it past the initial rejection process and been granted interviews.
If your heart is truly set on something then go for it!

Uh. You do realise that they could be expecting you to resit those GCSE in the summer?
Reply 5
Please listen to OP.

My best friend applied to the same course as me, and it requires a B in Mathematics GCSE. I got a B but they didn't, so they said they put on UCAS that they would resit it in the summer. They forgot to apply to resit GCSE maths at our sixth form, and even though they got the A Level required results, the university still rejected them and they had to go to their insurance which they say they hate.
I also got offers for courses where I didn't meat the GCSE requirement.
In all honesty it is there as it is accurate in the vast majority of cases, but most unis will waive it if there are exceptional circumstances as to why it wasn't met or if you have a higher level qualification in the subject you failed to make the GCSE requirement in.
Original post by AshEntropy
Uh. You do realise that they could be expecting you to resit those GCSE in the summer?

Incredibly unlikely seen as I have stated 0 intention of doing so and have already completed my A2's.
Other areas of my application are far stronger than many candidates and so it balances out.
Reply 8
Original post by VMD100
Incredibly unlikely seen as I have stated 0 intention of doing so and have already completed my A2's.
Other areas of my application are far stronger than many candidates and so it balances out.

Okay but it's a risk..
Okay but it's a risk..

Oh undoubtedly, but I wish to do no other course and therefore have nothing to lose. Hence I would advise applying with caution but if your heart is set on a specific career/subject/uni is it not worth the risk?
Whilst it is one of the most competitive courses many applicants overlook the fact while academic ability is required there are far more attributes that show them as capable or not.
Reply 10
Can confirm. After corresponding with Newcastle Uni, they informed me that even as a mature student, with level 3's in Maths, Business and Engineering, I would not be offered a place as I had a B in GCSE maths, not A.
Reply 11
Original post by bbvii
Can confirm. After corresponding with Newcastle Uni, they informed me that even as a mature student, with level 3's in Maths, Business and Engineering, I would not be offered a place as I had a B in GCSE maths, not A.

It's strange but it's how it is :c
Original post by VMD100
Oh undoubtedly, but I wish to do no other course and therefore have nothing to lose. Hence I would advise applying with caution but if your heart is set on a specific career/subject/uni is it not worth the risk?

Or you could avoid the risk entirely and simply retake the required GCSE,

Original post by VMD100
Whilst it is one of the most competitive courses many applicants overlook the fact while academic ability is required there are far more attributes that show them as capable or not.

But its the University making the decision not you. If they want grade A in Maths GCSE they wont give a monkeys what other 'attributes' you think you have.
Original post by bbvii

What did you want to study at that uni?
Original post by returnmigrant
Or you could avoid the risk entirely and simply retake the required GCSE,

But its the University making the decision not you. If they want grade A in Maths GCSE they wont give a monkeys what other 'attributes' you think you have.

Avoiding the risk simply isn't an option in some circumstances
It is the university making the decision and that is my entire point. Having grades is one thing but you tend to find the more academically gifted people are the less competent practically and socially they are. For a veterinary medicine course, and similar, these are equally important attributes hence exceptions to grade requirements.
And some people work in university admissions and some don't...
Reply 16
Original post by VMD100
Avoiding the risk simply isn't an option in some circumstances
It is the university making the decision and that is my entire point. Having grades is one thing but you tend to find the more academically gifted people are the less competent practically and socially they are. For a veterinary medicine course, and similar, these are equally important attributes hence exceptions to grade requirements.

Having other ""equally important"" attributes doesn't exclude you from the grade requirements...
Reading the requirements is key. Sometimes, having an A level in a subject can stand in lieu of a certain GCSE grade in that subject but it's always different for different institutions and courses. Sound advice, @returnmigrant
Having other ""equally important"" attributes doesn't exclude you from the grade requirements...

If this is always the case then people that are required minimum AAB at A level with an A in chemistry and biology will never get into their chosen course with a B in chemistry. But this happens most years.
Reply 19
Original post by VMD100
If this is always the case then people that are required minimum AAB at A level with an A in chemistry and biology will never get into their chosen course with a B in chemistry. But this happens most years.

That's because those are A Level Requirements, universities are more lenient with A Levels because of their difficulty. GCSE required grades are usually set in stone and strict because it's the basic minimal requirement they expect from someone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending