The Student Room Group

New Maths GCSE

Hello. I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm part of the first year to take the new maths gcse in 2017. However, I'm really struggling with it, and every day I worry about failing it and having to re-take it.
At the start of year 10 when we did an exam paper from the old specification, I got an A. But with the new spec, I'm getting around 36 marks on each exam, which from what I've heard, is not even a C. The highest someone got in my set was 40 marks, and I'm in set 1.
Is there any way I can be re-assured, or any advice to help me boost my grade? I always understand the topics in class, but when it comes to doing a question, I can never work out how to do it, or I always get the wrong answer. I know where I'm going wrong, but I can't fix it when I try another question.
Everyone finds it challenging and si do I but I suggest you print off the specimen papers and try doing them and to get used to the type of questions that come up, use corbettmaths and do 5 a day and mathsgenie as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Everyone finds it challenging and si do I but I suggest you print off the specimen papers and try doing them and to get used to the type of questions that come up, use corbettmaths and do 5 a day and mathsgenie as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you. I bought a book with all the specimen papers in so I'm going to start working through that.
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Hello. I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm part of the first year to take the new maths gcse in 2017. However, I'm really struggling with it, and every day I worry about failing it and having to re-take it.
At the start of year 10 when we did an exam paper from the old specification, I got an A. But with the new spec, I'm getting around 36 marks on each exam, which from what I've heard, is not even a C. The highest someone got in my set was 40 marks, and I'm in set 1.
Is there any way I can be re-assured, or any advice to help me boost my grade? I always understand the topics in class, but when it comes to doing a question, I can never work out how to do it, or I always get the wrong answer. I know where I'm going wrong, but I can't fix it when I try another question.

Im in year 11 as well, I also think the old spec for maths was way easier!! When we looked at questions for the same topic and we looked at questions from that topic from the old spec and the new spec the old spec questions were a lot easier! Im also struggling myself, since i also last year had a terrible math teacher, so im worried, since i really want an 8 but at this point i think im not going to get even a 6. :/

Definitely a 5, if not a 6. In old grades: definitely a C, maybe a B.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Im in year 11 as well, I also think the old spec for maths was way easier!! When we looked at questions for the same topic and we looked at questions from that topic from the old spec and the new spec the old spec questions were a lot easier! Im also struggling myself, since i also last year had a terrible math teacher, so im worried, since i really want an 8 but at this point i think im not going to get even a 6. :/

In Year 7, I just had supply teachers all the time, and in year 8 and 9 I had a really bad teacher. It got to the point where half the parents were complaining and senior staff had to step in to start doing observations. Even though I have a good teacher this year, my class just don't care about maths so they're quite disruptive.
Original post by _gcx
Definitely a 5, if not a 6. In old grades: definitely a C, maybe a B.

Ah that makes me feel a lot better.
Reply 7
Last year in year 9 i also got an A(68marks)
But now my grades are absolutety shiit, its not like ive been slacking ,its just tjat its too hard i got 33/80 in my mocks which is deaaad.
Original post by forre
Last year in year 9 i also got an A(68marks)
But now my grades are absolutety shiit, its not like ive been slacking ,its just tjat its too hard i got 33/80 in my mocks which is deaaad.

Same, I've been working so hard in maths this year and I can't get any higher than 40 marks. It makes me feel a bit stupid too as I'm getting As and A*s in all my other subjects, where as my maths score is much lower.
Reply 9
Hi you should try revising using a GCSE takeaway (grade by grade). I found a good one through twitter called TheMathsProfessor

You basically learn each grade at a time
Same, I've been working so hard in maths this year and I can't get any higher than 40 marks. It makes me feel a bit stupid too as I'm getting As and A*s in all my other subjects, where as my maths score is much lower.

I know right, the old spec was so much easier. :frown: Like i understand the theory in class but the test papers have impossible questions on them.
Hey where did you get this book from
My entire year group got 3's, 4s some 5's by the Set 1's during December so yeah we're all finding it really difficult. For my year group its the fact that in year 10 we weren't introduced to worded problems (we're doing Edexcel) and the GCSE is 80% worded problems so we can't transition to the new spec that easily.
At least the grade boundaries will be relatively low.

Quick Reply

Latest