The Student Room Group

How to transfer no claims discount to another car

One of my parents has 5 years NCD their insurance with their current provider will end in the summer. I was wondering if they would be able to transfer their 5 year NCD to my car and make them the first driver.
I mean they can but you can only build up no claims on one car at a time, so it could affect their insurance if they are the main driver on another car. Also If you're planning to add your parents as a main driver on your car when you'll be driving it more than they will it's fronting and it's illegal.
Original post by Jackieox
I mean they can but you can only build up no claims on one car at a time, so it could affect their insurance if they are the main driver on another car. Also If you're planning to add your parents as a main driver on your car when you'll be driving it more than they will it's fronting and it's illegal.

I agree
Original post by ineedtorevise127
One of my parents has 5 years NCD their insurance with their current provider will end in the summer. I was wondering if they would be able to transfer their 5 year NCD to my car and make them the first driver.

What you're suggesting is fronting - making it appear that your parent is the main driver of a car when in fact it will be you.

Fronting will lead to the cancellation of your policy and a possibility that you will be unable to take out another motor insurance policy. Don't do it!
Original post by Reality Check
What you're suggesting is fronting - making it appear that your parent is the main driver of a car when in fact it will be you.

Fronting will lead to the cancellation of your policy and a possibility that you will be unable to take out another motor insurance policy. Don't do it!

But how would they know that?

Plus this car is newer model than my dad's so he will be driving it much more than us we would probably use it like 3 times a week but he will use it every day

Plus this car is newer model than my dad's so he will be driving it much more than us we would probably use it like 3 times a week but he will use it every day

It'll raise loads of questions as to why he isn't using his no claims on his own car and instead using on the car where the 2nd driver has also recently passed..
Reply 6

The no claims discount would only affect his premiums, not yours.

short answer NO

yes they could transfer the NCD onto a vehicle you are driving , but they would have to be the policy holder and the main driver - anything else would be de facto and de jure Fronting .
Reply 8

They have investigators. The circumstances will be a big clue. If say you have a crash in the car when popping to tesco at 21:00, it will raise less eyebrows than if you crash driving to work in it at say 08:30. You have already said that it is your car, so I assume you are the registered keeper. It just seems a very odd situation that you would basically give your dad a car.

Quick Reply

Latest