The Student Room Group

When did you start revising and how did you revise to get AAA (or higher)?

Hi guys, I'm currently a year 13 student, and I was wondering if anyone who got AAA or better could tell me when they started full blown revision and what revision techniques they used?
I do Bio, Chem, and History - so any advice would be really appreciated :smile:
Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I revised every day from April 11th and got AAAB in Law,English Language,Politics and Sociology.
Start as early as possible with all 3, starting with the topics you find most challenging. This will mean that for a start, you'll need to reconstruct your current study timetable and divide it into 3 parts:

1) homework
2)self-directed learning of new/current topics
3)revision of previously learned topics

Break up you study into short bursts of 15-20mins reading + recall of what you have read, followed by a 5 min break. (Time your breaks! Don't slack!) At each point when you do recall, cover up what you have read and write down as much as you can remember. Check what you have remembered against what you have read. In the subsequent 20 min study session, learn a new section and review the previous section (particularly the parts you couldn't recall before) then try to recall as much of both parts as possible. By doing this, you will join together related information in your mind and transfer the info into your long-term memory. At the end of each daily study session, try 3-5 exam questions related to what you have learned that day.

For each topic learned, do a 5-10 min review 24 hrs later, 72 hrs later, 1 wk later and 1 month later. Do this at the beginning of that day's study session.

Create revision notes (USE COLOUR AND IMAGES!) and then later condense them into revision cards or mind maps. Then in 3 months time, study this info again (together with other topics) using exam questions and revision cards/mind maps.

It is easier to digest information and retain detail when you do bitesize chunks of learning every day over a long period than attempting to cram in a short period. It also SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the pressure you'll feel nearer to the exam. You just have to be disciplined and focused in order to remain consistent.

Remember to add rest periods in your timetable. Make sure you eat well, stay hydrated, stay fit and sleep well. A healthy body means you can be at your optimum in terms of your capacity to study.

I wish you all the best with you progress and your exams!

Jen :-)

Quick Reply

Latest