The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels - HELP

Hi TSR. So, currently I should be in the process of completing sixth form applications but I havent completed a single form because I am unsure on what subjects to choose. I'm an average to good student at school but if I study hard enough I get As/A*s. I'm a B and above in all of my subjects in GCSE's (Triple Science, History, French, Citizenship, RE, Maths and English). I want to do medicine in uni and I was told Chemistry is a must alongside with Biology. Am I making a mistake by choosing both bio and chem for alevels? I've heard the sciences are really hard in alevels and my strongest science is bio but chemistry is alright too. I've thought of chemistry, biology, government & politics and/or history for alevels. Is it a right combination? I don't want to fail any so I would like to choose as many facilitating subjects as possible as long as the choices are reasonable. Also, my strongest subjects in GCSEs are RE, Citizenship, History (I've never got below an A in these) and I enjoy and understand biology alot. So any current/former students who did similar subjects and would like to be completely, brutally honest here please? Thankyou!
The biology A level is very much linked into chemistry and if you want to go into a science related field such as medicine then you really ought to have done biochemistry. However if you feel that you don't want to do chemistry then don't do it, the two years feel like a long time and it is important to choose subjects that you enjoy. History is a good facilitating subject and can open doors to other areas if you change your mind and goes well with government and politics.
Reply 2
Original post by Sorcerer
The biology A level is very much linked into chemistry and if you want to go into a science related field such as medicine then you really ought to have done biochemistry. However if you feel that you don't want to do chemistry then don't do it, the two years feel like a long time and it is important to choose subjects that you enjoy. History is a good facilitating subject and can open doors to other areas if you change your mind and goes well with government and politics.

I went to a few open evenings and a Biology teacher told me that for courses in medicine in uni, chemistry is slightly more important than biology as they will teach us the biology in uni anyways, so we are required to know the chemistry behind it beforehand. She also said that taking biology will be useful but it's not absolutely necessary, i don't want to be studying two years of bio if it will be repeated in uni so I'm unsure. Thoughts?
Original post by xscorpiox
I went to a few open evenings and a Biology teacher told me that for courses in medicine in uni, chemistry is slightly more important than biology as they will teach us the biology in uni anyways, so we are required to know the chemistry behind it beforehand. She also said that taking biology will be useful but it's not absolutely necessary, i don't want to be studying two years of bio if it will be repeated in uni so I'm unsure. Thoughts?

Sometimes universities prefer to teach you the subject from the start however this will be at an advanced level so doing biology now could mean that you find the course easier. Chemistry seems to be absolutely necessary so it depends how much you enjoy biology really.
Reply 4
Original post by xscorpiox
Hi TSR. So, currently I should be in the process of completing sixth form applications but I havent completed a single form because I am unsure on what subjects to choose. I'm an average to good student at school but if I study hard enough I get As/A*s. I'm a B and above in all of my subjects in GCSE's (Triple Science, History, French, Citizenship, RE, Maths and English). I want to do medicine in uni and I was told Chemistry is a must alongside with Biology. Am I making a mistake by choosing both bio and chem for alevels? I've heard the sciences are really hard in alevels and my strongest science is bio but chemistry is alright too. I've thought of chemistry, biology, government & politics and/or history for alevels. Is it a right combination? I don't want to fail any so I would like to choose as many facilitating subjects as possible as long as the choices are reasonable. Also, my strongest subjects in GCSEs are RE, Citizenship, History (I've never got below an A in these) and I enjoy and understand biology alot. So any current/former students who did similar subjects and would like to be completely, brutally honest here please? Thankyou!

For Medicine you usually do need A-Level Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 5
Thankyou guys for the help. I just looked at University College London's entry requirements (I did work experience with them in June) and biology and chemistry are both required. I have my answer now, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest