The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yeah ive decided for sure that im gettin the raspberry pink one, despite being a bit more expensive. thanks everyone - didnt think thered be so much interest in this
Reply 21
blondey
yeah ive decided for sure that im gettin the raspberry pink one, despite being a bit more expensive. thanks everyone - didnt think thered be so much interest in this post.

btw my msn is [email protected] any rvc goers are welcome to add me. :smile:

:s-smilie: Be careful about posting your email on here- its best to PM it to people that you want to add you! And lol I didn't think everyone would be so bothered about what colour stethascope to buy either- v. comical! But good choice :p:
)(--becca--)(
actually i take that back. the crocodile one is cooler.

i have to agree!!! much more unique! :biggrin:

x
Reply 23
nina_100
:s-smilie: Be careful about posting your email on here- its best to PM it to people that you want to add you! And lol I didn't think everyone would be so bothered about what colour stethascope to buy either- v. comical! But good choice :p:

Ohshi...

I best remove mine then eh?
Reply 24
pink one yay! hehe !

speakin of colours... in the letter i got 2day off liverpool the list of stuff u need says Green overalls, Green jacket, Green etc when mine are blue or black- does the colour matter? was thinkin of gettn some new ones but never thought about the green factor b4! xxx
Yeah I think its a sort of unifrom so u all look similar. I was annoyed aswell cos all my stuff is navy! Infact most stuff I've been looking at appears to be navy - I've only found one pair of green safety wellies that aren't £50 so far lol!
Where do you get the safety wellies from? I went to Blacks yesterday and they only had the ordinary green dunlops.
Found them. Thanks!
Reply 28
)(--becca--)(
Yeah I think its a sort of unifrom so u all look similar. I was annoyed aswell cos all my stuff is navy! Infact most stuff I've been looking at appears to be navy - I've only found one pair of green safety wellies that aren't £50 so far lol!

Oh no, mine are black wellies does it say they have to be green?? :s-smilie: Well they've never clocked me for it so I wouldn't worry about the wellies- but I think the overalls etc need to be green. A pig ripped mine to shreds I was fuming lol
Yeah it says on the list thing they hav to be green. I got my boiler suit from countrywide, lab coat from eandeworkwear and wellies and waterproofs from bestinthecountry.
Reply 30
is there a sepcific type of waterproofs that you need? cos i was lambing with a first year rvc student last year and he said that the uni checked up on them, to see that they wore the waterproof thing - it was a wierd looking top, elbow length gathered sleaves and a funny triangle thing covering the neck gap (if that makes any sense!)... i dunno if that was what he got from the college, or if it was a specific type of top?

does it not matter, aslong as its green and waterproof?.. someone from rvc plse help here, i dont wanna waste money on the wrong thing
Right, i'm at RVC and for lambing (and for uni overall) you don't need specific waterproofs. he was wearing a parlour suit, which is easier to use in the parlour and for actually lambing due to the short sleeves. He will have obtained it form uni though you can buy them on the internet cheaper. Uni didn't check our stuff so i wouldn't worry. Also, have some standard wellies for lambing as it is too tiring and a bit silly to be wearing super safetys.

it does not have to be green, that is liverpool, not RVC. At lambing time i recommend reasonably strong waterproof trousers as you spend a lot of time on your knees. Don't spend tons cos they will probably get wrecked (mine have each time i have gone lambing). Regarding a jacket i wear a long sleeved, strong berghaus (not gore-tex as it will get wrecked as above). It can be a bit annoying to have to roll the sleeves up but i find keeping drier makes up for it. Make sure the jacket and trousers have some room as it is important that you can fit a lot of layers underneath, as it has a tendency to snow (but that depends where you are in the country). The main thing i find about lambing is you have to keep warm and dry else you get miserable.
get black it goes with everything and looks sensible. farmers may think you're a bit weird with a pink stethoscope...
good so i can use my navy blue waterproof trousers at liverpool? would my green and white boilersuit (it got paint on it) be ok? and a green berghaus outdoorsy type jacket ok or would it have to be the 'parlour shirt'?
Reply 34
naah apparantly waterproof kecks hav2 be green 'fraid. got mine from a little outdoor shop off Whitechapel in town fr quite cheap... about 8ish quid. which is especially good cos i looked at a w/proof jacket in there and almost fainted when it said £250 woah :-O biiig range in prices! xxx
I got my safety wellies in the end from essential safetywear. They threw in a couple of pairs of thigh length thermal socks that should be nice and warm under my boiler suit.
Sophieeee

speakin of colours... in the letter i got 2day off liverpool the list of stuff u need says Green overalls, Green jacket, Green etc

Okay...am i just pants or something? - i can't find a bit of paper with this info on? what else did it come with? -was it the freshers pack?

Is there anything else on it?

ugh green waterproofs..wth? I've been using waterproofs at farms for YEARS and it's never been a problem...mehthinks there is a bit of control-freakism going on here....:rolleyes: Oh well i need new trousers casue i ripped my last pair- slight incident with barbed wire....fun and games...

I'll use my green bolier suit whilst @ uni - i've got a really good Blue "RAC" boiler suit that i've used b4 (nice and thick and warm for winter) - got a good laugh out of the farmers...but have a feeling that won't go down 2 well @ Uni!:p:

Um= do we have to have safety wellies (Liverpool only here)- or is it just a guide- i chucked my last pair after being advised my farmers and farriers that it was safer without them (horse...treads on metal cap...toes get cut off rather than crushed etc...) and to wear good stout boots and only wear wellies when REALLY muddy and in the parlor...really don't wanna lose my toes...being kind of attached to them and all :biggrin:

Current Liverpool students- how strict are they on this?

Cheers :smile:
Whats HACS?

Yeah the letter specifies everything must be green.
The list it:

Green safety wellies
Green boiler suit/ overallys
Green waterproof jacket
Green waterproof trousers
White lab coat
Padlock or locker (i didnt get this one - was abit confused, i'll sort it out once there)

It was the letter with the vaccination sheet and letter from LUVS in.
lessthanthree

HACS are the animal handling classes.

I cant wait for these. Is it true that at Nottingham the lecturers bring in their own pets?
thank you lessthanthree- bought the green things- will keep in storage for when we need them :smile:

In the meantime i can continue to destroy all my other stuff on barbed wire etc :biggrin:

that's good news on the wellies- will keep them handy to avoid nasty insurance men (Ha! - my dad's in insurance not sure how he'd take to that! :biggrin: :p: )

(i have a friend who has size 3 feet- so she did her placements in pink flowery wellies!!!!!)

OOPS! I am BLIND - see that'll serve me right for getting too excited when anything for uni comes through the door (still doesn't feel real!) - yipes- just realized havn't sent off my stuff for LUVS!- arrgh passport photo's noooooooooooooooooo...why are they always so hideous...or do i actually look like that...no don't answer!:eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending