The Student Room Group

How to start EPQ essay?

I was going to start it like a newspaper article - some facts and then rhetorical questions etc. but when I've looked online this most people say start with "in my essay I will talk about ... Etc. which way is more professional and eye catching?
Original post by EJH240600
I was going to start it like a newspaper article - some facts and then rhetorical questions etc. but when I've looked online this most people say start with "in my essay I will talk about ... Etc. which way is more professional and eye catching?

When I did my EPQ, I began my essay using the second format you described, giving a brief description of what my project was about and what I wanted to find out. I got an A for my project, so I think it's fine to use that format. I would suggest asking your mentor/supervisor though, as yours may be fine too, although like you say, I don't think many students do it :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
When I did my EPQ, I began my essay using the second format you described, giving a brief description of what my project was about and what I wanted to find out. I got an A for my project, so I think it's fine to use that format. I would suggest asking your mentor/supervisor though, as yours may be fine too, although like you say, I don't think many students do it :smile:

Great thanks 😊
Im in the same boat, when you structure your essay, do you need to evaluate each point and do you put persobal opinions in, how often do you reference? I've literally been told nothing
Not sure about evaluating etc. (we haven't been told much either) but in terms of referencing, we got told to do a bibliography at the end for every time we reference a quote from a text or a statistic etc. which you would just put in as often as you feel you need to - I don't think there is a certain number of times that you have to reference hope this helps 😊
Original post by TheHungryStudent
Im in the same boat, when you structure your essay, do you need to evaluate each point and do you put persobal opinions in, how often do you reference? I've literally been told nothing

Original post by EJH240600
Not sure about evaluating etc. (we haven't been told much either) but in terms of referencing, we got told to do a bibliography at the end for every time we reference a quote from a text or a statistic etc. which you would just put in as often as you feel you need to - I don't think there is a certain number of times that you have to reference hope this helps 😊

Hi guys,

I'm not sure about all exam boards for EPQ, however I did mine with AQA, and I did very little evaluation of sources. I commented briefly in my conclusion on the reliability and 'up-to-dateness', if you like, of my sources. One thing I'd definitely suggest is to comment on each source you use, i.e. if you quote a line from an article, make sure to say a few words about it to show that you're understanding and analysing your sources, not just quoting things in without really knowing what they mean and being able to relate them to your project.

You'll need to reference every time you use material which isn't your own. However, make sure you also keep a note of the sources you use but don't refer to in the essay, as bibliographies list both the sources you directly reference, and the ones you don't. You also need to include the dates you accessed each source too.

I hope that helps! Remember that you can ask your EPQ mentor/supervisor for guidance if you aren't sure :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest