The Student Room Group

Can you discuss the fact that women are attracted by looks not personality?

Or will this post also get deleted?

Scroll to see replies

Well it sucks for us ugly folk... just gotta get on with it.
Reply 2
Ah yes, and it's really well documented that men

clearly

aren't

---

god sake i knew it wouldnt post properly cuz theyre too large
Reply 3
Maybe good looking wallets too.
Why only "women". Us guys are also attracted to looks and not personality?
So they're human? Wow!
Reply 6
Original post by Mr ravioli
Why only "women". Us guys are also attracted to looks and not personality?

Yes, but people don't tell girls to work on their personality, to be more confident and other nonsense. People are very aware that men are attracted by looks but many people think women are attracted by personality, confidence, humour, etc.
Reply 7
Original post by NoPunInThisName
Well it sucks for us ugly folk... just gotta get on with it.

It truly does.
I don't get it. You're asking us to discuss something that's not a fact? It's not a fact because although the first half is true, that women are attracted by looks, the other half is true for all humans and since women are of the human species then women also are attracted by personality.

Let me give you an example. Say there was a very handsome narcissistic psychopath, and you found out what he commits a crime everyday, you'd pack up and get the heII away from him - so personality does matter so I don't get your post :smile:
Original post by FACEandLMS
Yes, but people don't tell girls to work on their personality, to be more confident and other nonsense. People are very aware that men are attracted by looks but many people think women are attracted by personality, confidence, humour, etc.

Well, some girls are actually attracted to confidence and humour.

Where is your proof to back your claim?
People like to find their partners physically attractive? What a strange idea.
Why do you want to talk about it, OP? Are you feeling lonely and rejected? Do you think you can get a girlfriend through pity? I am with my boyfriend because I think he's good looking, funny and he understands me. I can rely on him to support me and I can rely on him for a laugh, to cheer me up when I am struggling. He can rely on me for the same. I am not with him because I felt sorry for him for being single.

Dating is a numbers game; the more women you approach and go on dates with the more chance you have of meeting someone you click with. Unless you're lusting after model-type women, in which case you need to find someone who can teach you to play on hard mode.

The reason guys get told to work on their personality is because an average-looking guy who is funny and confident has a better chance than an average-looking guy who is whinging that women don't want to touch his pee-pee.

Added to that is a lot of young guys are shockingly bad at looking after the basics (although this mostly improves with age): they don't shower enough, don't get their hair cut to a style which suits them, they don't cut or clean their nails and they wear poorly fitting and thought out clothes. If this sounds harsh to you consider how many of these everyday sins you are committing.

I know some very unfortunate-looking men who have long term partners or are married -- one is very funny and does amateur stand up and the others have this easy going personality type which clearly attracted certain women. Others have girlfriends who are just as good looking as they are, and they seem happy together.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Kiritsugu
I don't get it. You're asking us to discuss something that's not a fact? It's not a fact because although the first half is true, that women are attracted by looks, the other half is true for all humans and since women are of the human species then women also are attracted by personality.

Let me give you an example. Say there was a very handsome narcissistic psychopath, and you found out what he commits a crime everyday, you'd pack up and get the heII away from him - so personality does matter so I don't get your post :smile:

OK what I meant was that what initially attracts women is looks. And could you have picked a more out-there example? Most people don't commit crimes everyday.

And actually, if you know who Jeremy Meeks is - he's the guy who MUGSHOT on a police Facebook page went viral because women found him hot. Women were saying stuff like: "he could...force himself on me", except they used more colourful language.

I'm not saying that a terrible personality can't be a turn-off, just that a good personality without looks is rarely a turn-ON. Especially nowadays where women are bombared by guys on Tinder/IG/FB, etc. They have no need to "give an ugly/average guy a chance" when hotter guys are blowing up their phones.
I think it will probably get deleted, might even get you banned. Can't discuss such controversial ideas on sites like TSR OP. Maybe if you are studying this for a PHD or something it will be okay but or else, I wouldn't take such a risk. You should get this thread deleted too tbh.

Spoiler

Original post by FACEandLMS
OK what I meant was that what initially attracts women is looks. And could you have picked a more out-there example? Most people don't commit crimes everyday.

And actually, if you know who Jeremy Meeks is - he's the guy who MUGSHOT on a police Facebook page went viral because women found him hot. Women were saying stuff like: "he could...force himself on me", except they used more colourful language.

I'm not saying that a terrible personality can't be a turn-off, just that a good personality without looks is rarely a turn-ON. Especially nowadays where women are bombared by guys on Tinder/IG/FB, etc. They have no need to "give an ugly/average guy a chance" when hotter guys are blowing up their phones.

Yeah now that you've redefined the meaning of the title, I completely agree with you. It's not always their fault either though. It's the same with men too. Men are exposed to the "ideal" woman and woman are exposed to the "ideal" man - every single damn day.

But it's a pity that humans are falling for this illusion. But it's also important to recognise that not all women/men are just attracted to looks. I think all humans are initially attracted to looks - that can't be helped, but I think some place personality as more of a value.
OP you just stated the obvious (95% of the time anyway)

gotta think of it in a good light though, if you're ugly like me, you know when to give up :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by TheJollyOwl
Why do you want to talk about it, OP? Are you feeling lonely and rejected? Do you think you can get a girlfriend through pity? I am with my boyfriend because I think he's good looking, funny and he understands me. I can rely on him to support me and I can rely on him for a laugh, to cheer me up when I am struggling. He can rely on me for the same. I am not with him because I felt sorry for him for being single.

Dating is a numbers game; the more women you approach and go on dates with the more chance you have of meeting someone you click with. Unless you're lusting after model-type women, in which case you need to find someone who can teach you to play on hard mode.

The reason guys get told to work on their personality is because an average-looking guy who is funny and confident has a better chance than an average-looking guy who is whinging that women don't want to touch his pee-pee.

Added to that is a lot of young guys are shockingly bad at looking after the basics (although this mostly improves with age): they don't shower enough, don't get their hair cut to a style which suits them, they don't cut or clean their nails and they wear poorly fitting and thought out clothes. If this sounds harsh to you consider how many of these everyday sins you are committing.

I know some very unfortunate-looking men who have long term partners or are married -- one is very funny and does amateur stand up and the others have this easy going personality type which clearly attracted certain women. Others have girlfriends who are just as good looking as they are, and they seem happy together.

Why was the kneejerk reaction to suggest that I made this thread to get pity. I didn't. Most of my posts here and my youtube channel is to help ugly/average guys 1: see how important looks are, 2: see what they can do to improve their looks. I also want society to understand just how different women treat average looking or below guys to above average guys. As men, we are told all this BS about being confident, but women don't care about confidence if they think your face/height/hair/frame/age isn't good enough.

The fact that this thread might get deleted is a testament to just how taboo it is to discuss looks.
"women"

Yes, all of them, without exception. A completely valid "logical" generalisation to make.

Maybe you should have tried this title, then potentially your thread won't get nuked by CT as you suggested.

Can you discuss the fact that some women are attracted by looks not personality?

Which would be slightly better, even though you ignore the fact that members of both of the biological sexes behave this way. So, you could have put the following title forward for discussion:

Can you discuss the fact that some people are attracted by looks not personality?

That would have made more sense.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending