The Student Room Group

Should i do 3 or 4 AS levels??????

Today our college said that we can choose if we want to do 3 or 4 as level subjects. I dont know what to do:frown:
Btw im doing bio, chem,maths and geog
Original post by vali7654321
Today our college said that we can choose if we want to do 3 or 4 as level subjects. I dont know what to do:frown:

You don't necessarily need to choose 3. Only choose 4 if you really want to do your 4th subject.

If you're doing bio, chem and maths stick to 3. Best to have 3 amazing a levels in these subjects than 4 mediocre ones.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Would 4 A levels look better when i apply to unis?

no. it's your grades that matter, not how many of them there are

Not at all, it makes absolutely no difference as Unis only ask for 3.

Id do 4 to start with.
Then you can always drop one if it gets too much or you realise you dont like one of your subjects.
Thanks for the reply,
I want to do dentistry and was looking at the entry requirements and it says I need 3A's =0. If I did 4 levels would that mean I need to get 3A's and a B??
Thanks for the reply,
I want to do dentistry and was looking at the entry requirements and it says I need 3A's =0. If I did 4 levels would that mean I need to get 3A's and a B??

They only take your top 3 a levels as your entry grades, so the 4th wouldn't make a difference.
It depends on what uni you want to go to, if you want to go Cambridge or Oxford then it's good you to have 4 levels but they all need to be A*s as competition is big there. If you want to go to another Uni like UCL or Uni of Reading etc..... you will be good with 3A levels. If I was you, I would stick with 3 (don't do geography, as you will not need this for dentistry). It's better you leaving with 3 As then leaving with 4Bs if you know what I mean, 3 is the best option as you will have way more time to concentrate on each subject. Hope this helps!

Those are the exact A levels i'm doing now and i'm really contemplating dropping geography. The text books that have been printed so far are not very helpful but i'm sure better ones will be printed when you do it
Reply 11
About 3 years ago, when all A Levels were modular, taking 4 subjects in Year 12 was worth it cause your AS still mattered in your application and you could even use 2 AS levels instead of 1 A Level. However, now that more and more subjects are becoming linear, there is no point taking 4 subjects, especially science ones that are a lot of work. Dropping geography would be best and you could consider doing an EPQ in a medical/environmental topic if your school offers it

Quick Reply

Latest